Games The Secret World

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
You walk along a street in the evening, on your way home, after another dull day at work. In the corner of your eye, something dark moves, like a leech worming it's way back behind your eyelids. You choose to ignore it and walk on.

You have witnessed a glimpse of a dark world, where magic is plenty abound and forces are vying for the control of this world. You have seen The Secret World.

Dark Days Are Coming.

The Secret World is an upcoming MMO from Funcom (The Longest Journey, Anarchy Online, Age of Conan). It takes place in the present day and is about fighting dark forces wanting to take control of our world.

It will be a skill-based, story-driven game where you can play like you want to. You can also look like you want, with whatever clothing suits your mind. Players start in either London, New York or Seoul and can explore places like New England or Egypt in search of monsters and conspiracies.

Wikipedia: The Secret World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wiki: Main Page - WikiTSW
Official forum: The Secret World Official Forums
Cinematic teaser: The Secret World Video Game, Debut Cinematic Trailer HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

rynnor

Rockhound
I dont think the concept works as a MMO - in particular the massive part will quickly destroy the atmosphere if you keep bumping into fellow monster hunters and where the same monsters keep respawning.

You can get away with this in traditional fantasy mmo's but in something more like modern day people will expect more realism.

Leaving aside that its being done by Funcom so will be years late and buggy as hell I think this would be better done as a singleplayer with multiplayer over the internet option.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
You can get away with this in traditional fantasy mmo's but in something more like modern day people will expect more realism.

then they can take their daddys gun and fucking go outside the house for realism.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
WOW, just WOW.

I had no idea they were making a game like this! While it may not be a lovecraft inspired game for certain, it certainly sounds like thats what they might well be going for.

I take Rynor's point though, sounds like something more suited to a single player thing, but at this stage, who knows.

Anyone tried the puzzles yet? I tried, then followed the forumites solutions (which is why i haven't posted here sooner, been brain busting). Pretty slick stuff. Check this out ****SPOILER****They Are Coming Back (How it was Solved) - The Secret World Official Forums

Nive11en

Fledgling Freddie
Weird they're going for a new MMO, rather than concentrating on Age of Conan. Perhaps they've come to the conclusion that the best defense is offense? Sticking to Conan would be defensive, but starting up a new somewhat unconvential MMO might in their minds be the right step (i.e. offense).

I've got a soft spot for Funcom, mostly because of Anarchy Online - it was lovely back in the days. Buggy or not, I find their games always have a soul in them (and an excellent soundtrack). Looking forward to whatever they're up to. (Plus I'm praying for Anarchy Online 2 :p - and waiting for the upcoming Anarchy Online graphics update).

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
So far the puzzles have been a high for the community. First two years ago and now this one during the easter week.

Updated information can be found here: Main Page - The Secret World Wiki

The new puzzle can be found here: ...---... (I guarrantee you will use long time if you attempt this alone)

Weird they're going for a new MMO, rather than concentrating on Age of Conan. Perhaps they've come to the conclusion that the best defense is offense? Sticking to Conan would be defensive, but starting up a new somewhat unconvential MMO might in their minds be the right step (i.e. offense).

After the free Age of Conan trial, people are coming back in drips. According to re-reviews and returning players, the game has improved massively since release.

I applaud Funcom for trying something different with their MMOs. Back in 2001, Anarchy Online was something new entire (albeit buggy). Age of Conan had it's combat system and now TSW.

While TSW might seem Lovecraft ish, it takes myths, pop culture, urban legends etc. from all over the world.

Exciting stuff.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Indeed, three days of puzzle solving and background reading and im hooked in a way I haven't been since SWG beta :)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Good to hear. Sad thing the old puzzles were gone, but the viral campaigns happen in "real-time", so stuff gets deleted and twists come and go.

The Crygaia.com wiki is by far the most updated. I've also contributed to alot there. Let know if something is missing or is less comprehensible for people that haven't followed the game before.

I don't like the "A friend" character as he deletes, twists and edits out people's post, so everything needs to be copied and screenshotted, else it's gone. :)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Stole all the answers and got an email. Might give it a bash when they get back to me (again).

rynnor

Rockhound
Though I still have reservations as to whether they can carry it off - potentially this could be amazing - I really loved the puzzle they posted :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Its interesting but the last one was better - this one feels a bit contrived due to the need for people from Funcom having to keep guiding people - a good puzzle shouldnt need that.

taB

Part of the furniture
Does look really interesting. Need some time to read through it all and start thinking about the puzzles though!

rynnor

Rockhound
Awful ending - this whole puzzle feels shoddy and half baked - the last one was immeasurably better - bummer :(

Bits of info were fed out to the masses by a blog writer who's in-bed with Funcom and it all ended up as correspondence with Funcom pretending to be an NPC and a piss easy translation...

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
One short vinderview and two walls of text. Enjoy.

The Secret World Video Game, PAX 09: Director Interview | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/feature/3496/The-Secret-World-PAX-Faction-Reveal.html
The Secret World is Secret No Longer :: ZAM News

This game looks like it's doing some innovative stuff with MMO gameplay. I've never been one for the "ordinary person" becoming a mighty demonslayer, but I like the triple-faction stuff looks interesting. I haven't seen them talking the story up much, but I would guess it's mostly about grabbing your powers and hitting up PvP A.S.A.P (from what I can tell)?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Have to say that there's nothing new yet, just the basic "we'll do it different!".

No class/skill, done before and it works, but from what i gathered, it's grind based.

No grind? Please...t's an MMO.

Get to play without 100s of hours? Yeah, in theory. I can play with a group of level 80s in WoW with a level 1, but will it happen? :D

All in all, seen thsi hype over and over, what they deliver and how it fits together...different story.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bit poorly worded last post, the underlining tone should be;

Not yet impressed as it's mostly the same things heard on every MMO :D

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Bit poorly worded last post, the underlining tone should be;

Not yet impressed as it's mostly the same things heard on every MMO :D

Aside from the lore which is pretty funky, what interests me is they are proposing a three faction pvp system ;)

I think you'll have to accept it's all been done before in other games to some degree with every single mmo from this day onwards (arguably the last mmos of any truly notable originality were EvE and Planetside, but they have been done now and it's arguable that EvE stems from games like Elite and Homeworld and PS stems from a whole slew of fps games and are in themselves nothing truly original either), it's entirely likely that there is just never going to be another truly original concept that works.

....live action mmo roleplay maybe? We can all stand in a field and whack each other with nerf bats ;)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Innovating is a slow process in gaming, but thankfully games are coming out all the time. I suppose bankers don't like to give money to whacky inventors, they'd rather give it to someone with an idea that the banker can understand. This isn't always interesting or fun, but it's safe. If only the bankers would take a risk and lend money to people with a whacky idea... oh hang on...

rynnor

Rockhound
Well as I read it there will be open pvp to try to control ancient rescources - sounds a lot like Daoc on that level :p

Still too little detail - either they are years away from release or its going to release half done?

I had an idea for something that hasnt really been done - how bout actual people playing the npcs?

Not all of them of course but key ones to add atmosphere and a level of immersion missing from other games - wouldnt be quite as horribly expensive as it sounds since people could work from home :)

Could even have voice comms with the npcs...

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Well as I read it there will be open pvp to try to control ancient rescources - sounds a lot like Daoc on that level :p

Still too little detail - either they are years away from release or its going to release half done?

I had an idea for something that hasnt really been done - how bout actual people playing the npcs?

Not all of them of course but key ones to add atmosphere and a level of immersion missing from other games - wouldnt be quite as horribly expensive as it sounds since people could work from home :)

Could even have voice comms with the npcs...

The talk is release in late 2012, so it's certainly early days and information is somewhat limited.

To my knowledge the only games to have devs/CSR's playing NPC's in special events are SWG and DAoC, each with varying degrees of success. I think the theory is a lot more appealing that the reality, i recall in SWG no-one even seemed to realise when some NPC's were being controlled by the team, but it happened :)

Effectively an NPC controlled by a person ceases to be an NPC and becomes a PC, it loses it's autonomy and to a certain extent loses it's definative purpose and becomes something different. It becomes flawed and unpredictable which are human qualities NPC's do no possess.

Don't get me wrong, i love the idea, but as stated, the reality is often somewhat underwhelming and the novelty soon wears off.

rynnor

Rockhound
Effectively an NPC controlled by a person ceases to be an NPC and becomes a PC, it loses it's autonomy and to a certain extent loses it's definative purpose and becomes something different. It becomes flawed and unpredictable which are human qualities NPC's do no possess.

Don't get me wrong, i love the idea, but as stated, the reality is often somewhat underwhelming and the novelty soon wears off.

I think its the voice comms bit that would be new - many games have people taking running npcs for events but no-one uses voice comms with them :)

I also had some more radical ideas of the big raid mobs being run purely by people - no scripting - if you want to raid that person you have to wait till their in :p

It would eliminate the buggy scripts making encounters easy stuff that happens so often - perhaps if they are in trouble they might even try to ransom their lives with treasure?

The scope of interaction with real humans is sooo much greater.

Need some decent scriptwriters though...

rynnor

Rockhound
No-ones updated here for a while - bad news though - on Sept 29 Funcom reduced their staff by 20% which has pushed this one even further back - dont hold your breath...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I think its the voice comms bit that would be new - many games have people taking running npcs for events but no-one uses voice comms with them :)

I also had some more radical ideas of the big raid mobs being run purely by people - no scripting - if you want to raid that person you have to wait till their in :p

It would eliminate the buggy scripts making encounters easy stuff that happens so often - perhaps if they are in trouble they might even try to ransom their lives with treasure?

The scope of interaction with real humans is sooo much greater.

Need some decent scriptwriters though...

that would make it pvp tho, and isnt why the raiders play the game :)

you'd have those ppl leave whatever game it happened in faster then you could say account cancelation :D

tho i agree, it would be really fun to play as a endgame boss in a instance. but it would also make healing impossible because everyone with a bit on scense would kill those first. and then the raid is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom