The Official-Unofficial /level 20 Poll!

What to you think should happen to the /level 20 command

• I would like to see the /level command be removed.

Votes: 303 49.1%
  • I would like the /level command to be left on all servers.

Votes: 288 46.7%
  • I do not wish to respond

Votes: 26 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
aoln: If people have access to it, they would use it, and if PL works great they PL, most of the players won't care for new players and the future of the game: They want to be 50 asap, and doesn't want to struggle on the first levels without groups, if people can use /level some will (say 35%) because they don't care for the game, some more will use it, because they have no groups (thanks to 35%)... and it will scare away most of the new players.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I reckon what would be really good would be if normal levelling was like the instanced dungeon wings, with xp bonuses based on group size. Then grouping would be the optimal way of levelling, and there would be more of it.

Darzil

Heinze

Fledgling Freddie
Like #34 said.

And more, remove powerleveling by lvl 50's.. Make a group level restriction, that wont be to hard.. Anyone and hes dog that has a lvl 50 healerclass/fopbot/bb/animist/sm/eld/chanter etc. wich covers >50% PL's, why? Its faster, if you do as following youll rvr more with your toon, and gain more social grouping instead. (with the dungeaon group bonuses, it should be close to as fast as pl imo) Anyway..

Heres my plan:

1) If your gray to the toon you whant to powerlevel with = NO XP.

easy like hek, and without /level20 + groupbonuses(if cons are right) + no more ac groups etc. you'll get alot more action for the new ones, and a little more fun for those who got 22pl'd scouts on their acc. :wanker:

Cant' see anyone have something against this? If you whant INSTANT rvr action and dont care about building your char' you might be bether off with quake or counterstrike anyway.. :fluffle:

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Heinze: The PL problem is a real problem, but I think the level restriction isn't so easy, let me tell you why: I have a heretic, and never PLed it, and faced one problem: I need power, so I made a low level minstrel to join my heretic (no /level on that account) for a REAL role in the group with my heretic: to play power song. If I would see any active minstrel/sorc from other players, I would grp, with that or a sorc, but till that, this mini is often needed. As you see, there are bonuses to help lower level active people to be usefull even when they join higher level groups, and imho they can chat, and get advice and help in such groups.

If you level a "buffbot" who would want one in group? As long as they don't make concentration buffs "in the group only" which would be better (far better) than time / range limit for removing buffbot problems, a bb won't get groups on its own. But when you use a buffbot even with a higher level group: You still use the buffs, still use the healing /in downtime/.

Imho it is simple: If the character you PL can add something to the group: shares the work, the risks and the xp: it is allowed. If it gets xp with no real risk, and with doing nothing: It violates code of conduct, and gains an unfair advantage. Doing it occassionally to get 1-2 levels for a planned hunt, by grouping with friends (say 2 tanks), fighting, sometimes dieing: OK. (Yes, playing the young one not a level 50 to bring a leech...)

But PLing an alt in the same spot for days and never playing it, never using the character till 48 and laughing at the fact new players don't get a chance: that is bad. As you see this coin has two sides, and the PL issue isn't only black and white, but has many many shades of gray in between.

Roadie

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:
aoln: If people have access to it, they would use it, and if PL works great they PL, most of the players won't care for new players and the future of the game: They want to be 50 asap, and doesn't want to struggle on the first levels without groups, if people can use /level some will (say 35%) because they don't care for the game, some more will use it, because they have no groups (thanks to 35%)... and it will scare away most of the new players.

the thing is, there is a balence. The new players need to get groups (dont rly see alot of new players about tho tbh) and the old players who have been through leveling however many times and are bored sencless with it want to be encouraged to make new characters to keep them interested in the game - hence the various patches with overpowering classes and abilitys.

If you make it to hard for the old players to make new characters (ie remove powerleveling and /level comands and force them to get groups with new characters and other old players rerolling [who they would group with anyway while powerleveling] to level up) less people are going to make new characters and more old players will get bored and leave.

If you just make it easy for old characters to jump to level 50 things might seem to easy for them and they dont feel as though they have invested in their character so if some thing new and shiney comes along (ie another game) they might just drop it and move on. Also they wont group with the new characters who may then get bored of playing on their own and leave the game.

So there needs to be some kind of mid way point and atm its /level 20 and /level. Just taking away all the leveling bonuses may be less economicly viable for goa and mythic than encouraging old players to group with newbies.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Aoln said:
Keep it. If you don't want it, don't use it.

That's like saying "implement a class which is immune to all melee and magic attacks, got infinite endurance and power, instant dd that hits for 3000 damage etc.", but if people don't want it, they won't roll it!

:p

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Probably been mentioned but it's just in the wrong place.
Give free 45-50 maybe.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
ive found since leveling both my heretic and valkyrie to closer to 50 ;) that if you /level a char you generally have less attachment too it ie if you dong like it at 21 delete start again.

Tbh they should consider allowing people to /level to there highest character so if your new to the game you get to 20 and you dont like your first choice your allowed to /level a new level 20 likewise with lvl 50's you could /level a new level 50.

Or you could /level <number> so if you dont want to do 1 to 5 you could do.

Libertine

One of Freddy's beloved
Id like to see /level gone to help the newcomers, give them someone to xp with.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
I think that while removing /level might help introduce more new players to the game it could also have the opposite effect. The problem you face is that people with a level 50 who want to get to 50 and rvr with their new toon yesterday won't want to group with a level 3 newbie who doesn't know what he's doing anyway. Level 1-20 for someone who knows what he's doing takes a day or 2, so your not going to be dramatically increasing the number of people playing these.

By keeping /level you give the new players a while to get used to the game before having to worry about grouping with an experienced player who's going to expect them to know what they are doing.

The other side is that it means the lowbie areas are often deserted and joining DAOC and seeing a ghost town isn't the best introduction to the game.

/level isn't the thing that needs to be addressed, it's the insentive for people to group and help others, if exp is better solo or in a PL group, why group with the new guy? What would help more probably is an easier and more intuitive way for the 3/4 new players to find each other, and a reason for them to do so.. it's much more fun exploring a new game if your companions don't know the answer to every question before you even know what the question is. I know i'd of had less fun doing 1-20 if 4 experienced players had taken me straight to all the best spots and grinded the exp away in a few hours.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
/level command is for the us lazy people, don't see whats wrong with going back to the way it used to be, 1-20 isn't much hassle, even those that pl themselfs.. woow a couple of extra hours involved. :p

Those that went and bought Cata's and leveled 1-2 of the new classes would have proved they can do it! Not like imposible! Can't go on! Omg! :)

I voted remove.

Tho saying that, maybe new players can start at level20? New players can play with people around same level, and existing players aren't effected.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
who cares about /level 20, people that got a lvl 50 char wont group with newbies that know nothing about the game anyway

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Remove /level 20 for all existing players, and let new players have it on their first toon. Then they get to join the major action a lot faster.

Also find a way to discorouge PLing in favour of normal leveling.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
removing /level wont give new players that many more people to play with imo.

It'll just mean a majority of people have to pl their new toon for an extra 30-60 mins....it wont mean they xp the normal way at all.

The only people it will effect are those casual players (like myself) who still run 1 account

And i've tried starting from level1 instead of 20 and all the other people running around xping have purp con seer classes stuck to their asses and dont want to group with you.

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
I always remember when i first started playing DAOC. Playing in Mithra, Salisbury Plains, people actually around PKB, PK. Loads of fun. Even groups taking boulderings (or whatever they are :p). I voted to remove it. Those were the most fun for me, after that things seemed to get more dull in PvE. Recently i started leveling a pala from scratch with a couple of friends.

Mithra > All. :p

Shagrat said:
removing /level wont give new players that many more people to play with imo.

It'll just mean a majority of people have to pl their new toon for an extra 30-60 mins....it wont mean they xp the normal way at all.

The only people it will effect are those casual players (like myself) who still run 1 account

And i've tried starting from level1 instead of 20 and all the other people running around xping have purp con seer classes stuck to their asses and dont want to group with you.

I dissagree. If people don't have /level, more will therefore have to level the "normal way" (Those who don't have the power to PL). More players leveling normally in the low levels = More groups, More groups means more fun.. and even more people leveling the normal way, i think :eek6:

I guess not everyone likes the lower levels like me though, but surely it would increase the numbers of people xping those levels to have a positive effect on new players.

- Penguin

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Penguin said:
I always remember when i first started playing DAOC. Playing in Mithra, Salisbury Plains, people actually around PKB, PK. Loads of fun. Even groups taking boulderings (or whatever they are :p

I remember getting my first decent drop from those boulders. It was a rock of some kind and it fitted in jewellry slot. Was well chuffed

Happy days

Axuk

Fledgling Freddie
Removing /level won't encourage old players to play with new people.. it will encourage them to pl their latest alts....nor will removing it encourage new players into the game which is what DAoC really needs .... greater numbers of new players.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
What about adding a cap on which they can gain exp?

Lets say a lvl50 won't beable to PL someone below lvl35? One way of forcing people to exp normal ways, but dunno about grouping thats a personal choice people make. :)

lvl35+ seems fair to me, their about mid way in their exping, learnt where most things are, met some friends, maybe joined a guild happily spamming away and still can go on raids to gain exp to help em lvl and learn about new higher level zones.

Gribz0r

Fledgling Freddie
Pff they should just remove the anti-kiting code, so you can chainpull mobs again. Cripp not kill. Xp'ing was fun then. After the chainpull nerf 30-40 became hell. Now even 40-50 is hell. All you see in high level xp spots are <insert pl class here>, FoP bots and 'customers'.

On the /level 20, it was intended to give people a taste of another realm without having to start from scratch. It missed that goal tho. /level 30 was an even bigger disaster.

On top of that you have old players that just refuse to play with newcomers anyway. Because they can't stand n00bs. Forgetting that daoc has a pretty steep learning curve when you log in for the very first time. That started even before /level 20, when you could see solo'ers run over salisbury plains with a 50 cleric stuck om them.

A few weeks ago, there seemed to have been a free trial of daoc ina magazine. Some of us rolled alts and took trial people to bandit camps, mithra etc. it was ubber fun. And now with the free levels and the insta bonusses that grow with more people grouped, whats the point of /level 20? Insta thidranki fun? Not anymore since people moved optimal gankgroups to the battlegrounds instead of NF. No fun as a 20 in thid.

1-20 will not take long, and you drag people up with you, who would maybe stop playing when they see they started a mmorpg where you have to solo to 50. This game is turning into WoW, and I hate WoW. (I do love their mail system tho :))

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
While it is nice to be able to click a button and get a lvl 20 character, if it makes the game a more newbie-friendly place by having many many more people grouping + XPing in the first 20 levels, then what the hell, get rid of it.

Co-op server before any of this "no-TOA-no-buffbot" server nonsense though - we still don't have access to the choices US players have had since day one (co-op and RP servers), and really should have those made available to us before any newer server types appear. European DAOC players have always been very much short-changed in this regard.

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Keep /level on Camlann, infact make the starting default level 20 on camlann.

Other servers, remove it.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
svart - from what I've been hearing the RP servers on the US ain't much more RP than Excaleetbur ;)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Voted no on principle - the level grind is shite enough regardless of XP quests, PLing, and whatever else you want to do it.

Another reason why not is when you get your first 50 its often nice to /level a few chars and test different specs out, decide if you like it, and delete. Can you imagine having to level all the way to 20 and to try a second spec, then start again if neither of the two specs you can try at that point are to your liking?

Thirdly, no because it won't make any difference. As has been said not many new players come into the game atm and when they do they often go - wtf lol lag city - and never even pay a month's subs, so I can't see forcing vets to group with them will help.

Fourthl - not many people would WANT to group with a new player. As a GM I have enough questions to deal with (don't get me wrong I don't mind - I enjoy it) but I wouldn't want the added pressure of guiding a new player through all the nitty gritty you don't understand when you first start out playing - and let's face it the instructions are bollocks.

Gribz0r

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm what they could do is give European game keys access to their special servers in the US. Since the patches are not equal we would need to use 2 different folders, but that's a minor issue.

We would get co-op and pvp US, GOA doesn't have to invest in a server which won't have a lot of players, (they could nuke Camlann then) and don't have to introduce co-op themselves, lowering their costs.

And the co-op and PvP servers in the US would get an influx of new players from Europe. Ok the time difference will be there, but overall it would do these server numbers good, and make them truly 24/7 occupied.

Am I brilliant, or did I overlook anything obvious? :D

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Lothandar said:
You forgot the "no buffbotted vampire" part

Vamps can only accept the haste and AF buff from their bots - but I can imagine how insane Vamps would be for solo players on the no bot server oO

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
Vamps can only accept the haste and AF buff from their bots -

Marketing trick by mythic, buy a buffbot or suffer.
Instead of repairing the damage, they try to get more and more players to buy 2 accounts and the stupid expansions.

This is why I do not understand why they want a no buffbot server.

I'd be insane to leave my ml9 buff enh 25% shaman botess behind to go take on vampires with far superior stats compared to my puny unbuffed values while soloing.

Voted a big NO for that type of server. Pointless with vampires ingame.

Addon: I do know vampires can't get buffed by buffbots BECAUSE THEY ARE FREAKING BUFFED BY DEFAULT. Oh jeez that is so fucked up, what was mythic thinking? Adding a buffbotted class to eliminate the last region of players who tried to play without a bot.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Penguin said:
I guess not everyone likes the lower levels like me though, but surely it would increase the numbers of people xping those levels to have a positive effect on new players.
- Penguin

It was fun the first 4 times (xp'd bm,bard,mentalist,warrior to 50 the normal way) but only cause while I was doing my hib chars I was kinda new to the mmorpg world and I didn't really care about pvping. Now pvp means all to me and I don't really care about pve, I find it a thing that is done as quickly as possible then forgotten. Warrior was fun cause I had a set xp group and didn't have to look for anyone, also was exploring midgard. Regardless, I pl'd my sm to 50 instead of the normal leveling cause I did it once already and it offered nothing more to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom