News The Greeks are playing a dangerous game...

rynnor

Rockhound
rynnor

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/01/us-sale-of-helium-criticised.html

new scientist ok

"Helium is nonrenewable and irreplaceable,"

so want to retract what you said before ? or you require an edict from god first ?

I'd still defend my position tbh - you can produce it from processing air but its at very low concentrations so you couldnt meet current demands but thats not the same as running out. I also think the author's of these pieces haven't been keeping up with natural gas stocks - the US has discovered over a centuries worth of extra stocks in the last few years and since you find helium with natural gas its going to be abundant at least into the 2150s.

You could produce more helium 3 if you produced more tritium.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
more like goldman helped prepare this financial information !

If greece didn't pay goldman sachs, bohooo to them, but really who gives a shit a big greedy bank don't get paid ?

Unless Greece keep getting loans they won't be able to pay their workers next month. They will care about that quite a bit I'd imagine.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'd still defend my position tbh - you can produce it from processing air but its at very low concentrations so you couldnt meet current demands but thats not the same as running out. I also think the author's of these pieces haven't been keeping up with natural gas stocks - the US has discovered over a centuries worth of extra stocks in the last few years and since you find helium with natural gas its going to be abundant at least into the 2150s.

You could produce more helium 3 if you produced more tritium.
I can bury some organic material and have it turn to oil in a couple million years it wont keep up with demand be we still running out :p

rynnor

Rockhound
I can bury some organic material and have it turn to oil in a couple million years it wont keep up with demand be we still running out :p

We arent running out of Helium in your lifetime thanks to Shale gas reserves.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
bet ?

although payable on death doesnt mean much .. so you think we are running out of oil in my life time ?

rynnor

Rockhound
so you think we are running out of oil in my life time ?

Now your talking - I dont see it running out but it will get more and more expensive which is almost as bad.

I dont know if civilization will switchover in time or even if there are viable alternatives for aviation/marine haulage. The backbone of our entire civilization is the massive fleet of container ships run on diesel...

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Well they could revert to sail, it's not that bad, especially those new fangled 'wind turbine generates electricty to power the ship' types that can power INTO the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom