Film The General Film Thread

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Watched Game Night and 21 Bridges this weekend. Both a good waste for 90 odd minutes.
21 bridges a good old fashioned 1990s gritty cop movie.

game night good twists and nice with a bit of comedy also. Just fun :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Zack Snyder's Justice League - realllllly good. Pisses all over the first one that was released.. its a long movie but fuck me it delivers. Pure dark DC goodness.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just finished watching it (second day).

Didn't feel long. Much better than the last clusterfuck. Don't know who half the bad guys are, dislike the fact that "gold" seems to be the colour that DC have gone for (like a shit colour palate from 300), but story flowed and was much better.

I hope DC reverse their decisions to have Jared Leto anywhere near their franchise any more though.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Just finished watching it (second day).

Didn't feel long. Much better than the last clusterfuck. Don't know who half the bad guys are, dislike the fact that "gold" seems to be the colour that DC have gone for (like a shit colour palate from 300), but story flowed and was much better.

I hope DC reverse their decisions to have Jared Leto anywhere near their franchise any more though.

I didn't mind Leto, his Joker was actually spot-on for the Suicide/Nightmare Joker. I still think he's trying to be Heath Ledger a bit much tho... apart from that, I think he does a good job personally.

Edit: that said! so glad he got rid of the fucking stupid tattoo on his forehead, that made him much more likeable.... no more "Deranged" shite.

Last edited:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Yeeeeaaaahhhh.

No.

:)

He is tho?

The only thing that let him down in Suicide Squad was the stupid tattoos and lack of screen time. Every Joker iteration is different in Batman movies. I want to see what he's like in a full feature movie rather than 10-20 minutes of screen time.

There's meant to be a Joker and Harley Quin movie coming up, I hope it's Leto, I want to see how he is with extended screentime. Leto is a good actor, he was shite in Bladerunner 2049 mind, I thought his character in that was.... very toss but he is a good actor in general.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just watched it. Its a. Interesting to see just how bad Whedon's edit was, and b. How Warner Bros could have had an MCU if they'd shown some more balls.

I've got to admit, my expectations were pretty low and I've been pleasantly surprised.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Is his lack of screen presence and charisma?

Dress him up how you like, he's still shit.

Just watched it. Its a. Interesting to see just how bad Whedon's edit was, and b. How Warner Bros could have had an MCU if they'd shown some more balls.

Agree. But giving Whedon the benefit of the doubt - give him 4 hours and maybe something good would have come of it.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Is his lack of screen presence and charisma?

Dress him up how you like, he's still shit.

Agree. But giving Whedon the benefit of the doubt - give him 4 hours and maybe something good would have come of it.

I dinna, I'll agree to disagree. I think he'd shine in a feature-length movie IF it was done right. you could arguably say that about any actor tho... so I guess we just have to see how it goes.

DaGaffer

I'm really not sure about that. Sure, it was probably impossible to make a coherent 2.5 hour movie out of that, but he could have still done a good 3 hour one (you can save 20 minutes by lopping off the indulgent epilogue alone, which was pretty much entirely setup and fan service) and it would have got much better reviews and set up the planned future movies. But Whedon's cuts seem bizarre in retrospect (for example he basically took out the entire Cyborg backstory, which is fairly important!), not to mention the reshoots; (why did the whole Henry Cavill's moustache saga happen at all? Seeing the footage that was already there, it makes absolutely no sense).

The main "problem" with the Snyder version is that from some perspectives it does require a certain amount of DC knowledge to really work, and that was what probably scared off the WB Suits, but by taking out all the Darkseid stuff and backstory, the main antagonist just became a generic motiveless big bad.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
We watched it over two nights and it was vastly better than the original. Not sure why there is the hate for Jared Leto but he has the potential to be a great Joker ... the problem is for a lot of people (including my husband) it is still too soon after Heath Ledger.... The Joaquin Phoenix Joker (a film which I also liked) was more of a study on the deterioration of the human mind rather than Batman's Joker...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He is tho?

The only thing that let him down in Suicide Squad was the stupid tattoos and lack of screen time. Every Joker iteration is different in Batman movies. I want to see what he's like in a full feature movie rather than 10-20 minutes of screen time.

There's meant to be a Joker and Harley Quin movie coming up, I hope it's Leto, I want to see how he is with extended screentime. Leto is a good actor, he was shite in Bladerunner 2049 mind, I thought his character in that was.... very toss but he is a good actor in general.

I also think Leto can be a very good actor (excellent in Dallas Buyers Club), but batman films are generally all shit anyway.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not sure why there is the hate for Jared Leto
For me it's because when I've seen him as Joker my mind has gone "you're shit, nect please".

Not because I'm overly critical or dislike him - it's just reaction to his performance (which surprised me tbh). I'd much rather Ceasar Romero tbh.

The best way I can sum it up is this:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWsFFQP0gA

Embattle

FH is my second home
Watched WW1984, it was to long and an average story at best. DC universe really isn't very good with the films feeling long because the story always seems weak or disjointed.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just watched the 2007 re-working of The Hitcher.... have to say my memory of the original (Rutger Hauer one) was that it was ace, and I expected to be disappointed, but I did enjoy the newer version quite a lot too... It's available on Netflix FYI.

DaGaffer

Chaos Walking. It was OK. Nice concept but not a wildly interesting story in the end, and it left loads of unanswered questions. Doug Liman movies are usually pretty good value, but this was a bit sub-par.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Kong vs Godzilla. A nice bit of utter nonsense and two big hitters over the Easter Weekend. A very steady 6 / 10

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
For those of you with access Whiplash is on iPlayer.

If you're struggling with what to watch - you could do much worse than watch this. Absolutely fantastic performances.

Edit: And The Third Man is also on there too :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Not much else to do so I'm watching my backlog. Just watched Deadwood The Movie. Al Swearengen's final line is epic.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Not much else to do so I'm watching my backlog. Just watched Deadwood The Movie. Al Swearengen's final line is epic.
"Let him fucking stay there" :clap:

I completely missed Deadwood (the show) when it aired, I watched it all a couple of weeks ago and then the movie. I saw on the wiki it was described as "one of the greatest television shows of all time" - I mean I enjoyed it but I think that's a bit strong. Some great characters/performances - obviously McShane as Swearengen but E. B. Farnum, Jane Cannary and Richardson (the actor who played him unfortunately died before the movie came about, as did Powers Boothe who played Cy Tolliver) spring to mind.

I was unprepared for the fact that the TV show was abruptly cancelled after the third season so the ending was disappointing but the movie tied some loose ends up (although it felt like they'd crowbarred too many of the characters into it).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Currently binge watching the Deadwood series. Fucking loving it.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I watched Blackhat on netflix the other day, what a waste of time that was. It feels like a poor quality pirate version with scenes missing so entire movie doesnt makes sense. But apparently it was intentional

Then watched Thunder Force which while lowbrow had some chuckle moments at least

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Watched escape from pretoria last night. Based on a true story was a good movie. Dan Radcliffe with a za accent but the stories good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom