Film The General Film Thread

Everz

FH is my second home
Ill Manors 7.5/10
Set in Hackney (or somewhere equally shitty, I don't actually remember) in the modern day, it's about a group of fuckups trying to make their way in a shitty council estate full of drugs and violence. It talks about racism, drugs and prostitution and the interplay between people are basically good but can't really be so due to circumstances and people are genuinely shits who they are forced to associate with due to family ties or childhood friendships. It was written and made by Plan B with very little help from the UK film establishment. He himself is from a similar background so there's at least a bit of autobiographical material in there. It's a hard watch, a lot of uncomfortable scenes depicting some nasty stuff, but it's probably the best "street movie" I've seen to come from the UK. Makes the lads in attack the block look like good little boys. If you're not English, you'll still deffo get it but much of the dialogue may be difficult as there is a lot of thick SE London slang and dialect.

Agree totally with this. Was a fantastic watch from start to finish and pretty much captured what any council estate is like.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
La Haine made me feel terrible. Couldn't stop watching it though :(

TdC

ofc. there's a line though. I thought La Haine was filled with awesome (in that light), however something like a harsher version of Thelma and Louise eg Baise Moi left me completely cold. I only watched it because my art-head friends were raving about it, and came away feeling I'd wasted yay minutes of my life (like most times when I do what the art kids tell me to).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
ofc. there's a line though. I thought La Haine was filled with awesome (in that light), however something like a harsher version of Thelma and Louise eg Baise Moi left me completely cold. I only watched it because my art-head friends were raving about it, and came away feeling I'd wasted yay minutes of my life (like most times when I do what the art kids tell me to).

You should give yourself a treat with an Urban decay marathon; start off with Ill Manors, then La Haine, with a nice City of God for dessert.

TdC

ugh :( err, I mean I can think of fewer things that would entice me more than such an evening. I doubt I'd make it through :-/

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Looper is fucking rubbish. Well acted, nice concept, great set design, absolute pile of turd internal logic.
I disagree. I just don't think that what this film was going for was the "we've thought about all the implications of our time travel plot" vibe that say Primer or Back to the Future were.

This was a movie about redemption and that's what shone through. The scene in the diner where Bruce basically says "meh....fuck trying to explain time travel" was meant to let you know that in my opinion. If your only problem with the movie was the logic then I'd advise giving a second watch and seeing it as a movie that happens to have time travel in it but isn't exclusively about that.

DaGaffer

I disagree. I just don't think that what this film was going for was the "we've thought about all the implications of our time travel plot" vibe that say Primer or Back to the Future were.

This was a movie about redemption and that's what shone through. The scene in the diner where Bruce basically says "meh....fuck trying to explain time travel" was meant to let you know that in my opinion. If your only problem with the movie was the logic then I'd advise giving a second watch and seeing it as a movie that happens to have time travel in it but isn't exclusively about that.

Except the whole "redemption" bit was completely unnecessary because he didn't have to
kill himself! He just had to kill Bruce Willis and then not turn into an asshole.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I liked the way they made the younger actor look like Willis with the facial expressions and stuff. It really worked well IMO.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Except the whole "redemption" bit was completely unnecessary because he didn't have to
kill himself! He just had to kill Bruce Willis and then not turn into an asshole.
True the kid wouldn't have turned into the big bad but it was about more than just that for him. By killing himself he also hopefully prevents the woman who changed his life from being killed and I think that as the movie progresses that becomes important to him as well. She saved him and now he's going to save her... Redemption I tells ya!

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I know that killing Bruce he could have tried not to meet the woman....and that's why I think paying too much atention to the ins and outs of it is a bad idea... enjoy it for what it is.

DaGaffer

Cerb said:
* SPOILER *

Can't. Stupid people being stupid in service of the plot offends me. It's why I hate pretty much all zombie films (and horror films in general) as well.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Just got back from seeing les miserables. It's not terrible, but I think you need a vagina to fully appreciate it.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.

Under-rated movie. It should be 9/10. I found it on some obscure tracker, no english subtitles - so it gave me quite a headache trying to understand the french. But it's well worth it. The movie is a gem.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Just got back from seeing les miserables. It's not terrible, but I think you need a vagina to fully appreciate it.

I thought that about Mama Mia, got dragged along by russ with her daughter, but i really liked it, in a cheesy way. Will be going to see Les Mis too

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
just watched The Hobbit, loved it and can't wait for the next part.

leggy

Probably Scottish

Agreed (mostly) but at the time I thought he was completely out of range with his shotty. And not turning into an asshole is easier said than done - he's still the same(ish) person.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Watched the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven on Blu Ray.... Easily my fave Ridley Scott Movie, it blows the theatrical (and rather poor) version out of the water.

Have American Sniper on my queue for tomorrow, then A Most Violent Year for the weekend.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Watched the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven on Blu Ray.... Easily my fave Ridley Scott Movie, it blows the theatrical (and rather poor) version out of the water.

My Crusades Lecturer loves that film.

Because pretty much of none of it historically true :p

You know when they all go off and get battered, and they're like omg look desert?

IS429-9B-21.jpg

Barely.

But nevertheless, it's still an entertaining film!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Got around to Ex Machina last night, it was pretty good.

DaGaffer

Just got back from watching The Martian. Fucking brilliant. Best thing Ridley Scott's done since Gladiator.

TdC

Just got back from watching The Martian. Fucking brilliant. Best thing Ridley Scott's done since Gladiator.

second time I've read it described as that. time to go check it out I guess :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Going to see the martian on sunday. Will report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom