Film The General Film Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Looks interesting.
Started off really well but I was disappointed that it looked liked it turns into a standard chase movie rather than an in-depth look at overpopulation and potential government response, social issues, what would happen to those kids etc.

There's way much more interesting (low budget) movies in there.

But yesh. As a chase movie, looked OK.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If the rest of it was as bad as the first couple of episodes...nope.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Patriots Day.

A lot better than I thought it would be.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The last couple of seasons of Orphan Black have been excellent. It did start off slowly, (a lot of people never made it through the first season) but it's well worth persevering with.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I'm just back from 'murica. Fourth time there and my opinion of it sinks more every time. I saw Pennsylvania, Delware and spent a day in DC. Pockets of stinking rich and pockets of horrendous poverty. People lying in doorways in Philadelphia, supposed ex-veterans and black people walking between cars in busy city-centre traffic begging for money, people raking bins in DC - some of the doorway-dwellers you couldn't tell if they were dead or alive. It also seems more expensive than ever (not helped by the value of the pound) with junk food being the only thing being cheaply abundant with Wholefoods being an extortionate rip-off. Their infrastructure was a mess - the state of the roads around Philly and Baltimore made our roads looks like that of an advanced alien nation. A quick google reveals that it's a well documented issue. The train to DC was even worse with the most shaky and disruptive ride quality I've experienced on a train ever. The roads around DC were immaculate: big granite kerb stones and nice black-top - no shitty concrete or cheap concrete for their rich white politicians! The gun range was cool, tried a revolver and a Glock 9mm. Since we were staying with friends, I got to see a fair amount of their TV - fucking hell, I thought Sky was bad for content and adverts, American cable is practically an advert show-reel.

I've had similar experiences in my recent trips to the US. Both East and West coasts. However I do have one question ... why post this in the Film thread? :D

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've had similar experiences in my recent trips to the US. Both East and West coasts. However I do have one question ... why post this in the Film thread? :D

Lol, jet lag :D - I'm on it dude, brb.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The Mummy...wtf have I just watched, it was like two directors and a drunk edited it.
One minute it was all deep, then it became a Simon Pegg movie, then it just looked like they'd lost some footage and glued together outakes.
Did it have a script?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just backed to back watched Ghost In The Shell and Free Fire.

Ghost In The Shell - pretty art direction. And that's it. Entirely forgettable unfortunately.

Free Fire - well that was unexpectedly good. I wasn't really convinced by Ben Wheatley as a film director after High Rise and Sightseers (I really didn't like either), even though he made Ideal, which is one of my all time fave TV comedies; but yeah, Free Fire was excellent. Predictable, but really enjoyable.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You didn't like High Rise?!!!

Not seen Sightseers but enjoyed Free Fire a lot. Ghost In The Shell was shite.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I honestly did not like Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot is inhumanly beautiful and both she and Chris Pine did an ok job with what they had, but besides a few cool scenes the movie was a big pile of forgettable meh.

georgie

FH is my second home
I went to see it tonight. Enjoyed it, turn off your brain and watch the pretty lady kick arse.

I see where you're coming from regarding forgetability, but then that's not really what I go to a superhero movie for tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The reqirement to turn off one's brain is almost mandatory at the movies nowadays unfortunately.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You didn't like High Rise?!!!

Not seen Sightseers but enjoyed Free Fire a lot. Ghost In The Shell was shite.

No, but (sacrilege) I've never really liked J.G.Ballard (except for Empire of The Sun). I read the book when I was in my teens and thought it was Lord of The Flies for the middle classes with extra sex, but actually not a very good book. And I don't really like that kind of studied, theatrical movie making.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, but (sacrilege) I've never really liked J.G.Ballard (except for Empire of The Sun). I read the book when I was in my teens and thought it was Lord of The Flies for the middle classes with extra sex, but actually not a very good book. And I don't really like that kind of studied, theatrical movie making.
I've not actually read any of his books. But I adored High Rise - though even the bird who sold me the tickets (who loved it) said they'd had a small but significant proportion of their audience actually walk out of the theater during the screening (we saw a couple leave).

Love a bit of makes-you-feel-like-you're-a-little-high madness. :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Just backed to back watched Ghost In The Shell and Free Fire.

Ghost In The Shell - pretty art direction. And that's it. Entirely forgettable unfortunately.

I watched the first 20 mins and turned it off.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Yeah the cinematography looks great but it looks like it's going to be a cheap chase/action flick.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
As soon as I saw Dave Beastie-eater I was like "omfg no".

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Just watched Get Out with ze gf - definitely left an unnerving feeling. Also, that's some weird shit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Watched Logan, plotholes etc aside, decent action flick.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Just saw Dunkirk. Decent enough movie. Very loud. No plot holes at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom