Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Only allowing the 4 cars in front of Max to unlap themselves.
Massey was just fucking rude to Wolff. “It’s called a motor race”

Yes, a race where you’ve cancelled out one drivers lead entirely and given him better tires for free.

Bullshit.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Crofty said something like 'Who needs Hollywood when you have this?!'

That's exactly the problem.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So their options are to either say "no overtaking permitted" (which they already had said ffs) or they let all lapped cars through and, if they do the latter, the safety car returns to the pits at the end of the *following* lap. What a fucking fix.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
So their options are to either say "no overtaking permitted" (which they already had said ffs) or they let all lapped cars through and, if they do the latter, the safety car returns to the pits at the end of the *following* lap. What a fucking fix.

So he made up new rules on the hoof.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I did like the idea that was floated around about making the last lap exciting, erm how exactly with one on brand new tyres and one on old tyres.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Brand new *soft* tyres vs. 40+ lap old hard tyres. Masi made a decision knowing full well he was basically deciding who the champion was going to be. The more I think about it, the more of a fix it looks.

And a protest against the rule in the tweet above has been launched:

s0vfc0hdt4581.png

Also, Verstappen allegedly got ahead of Hamilton before the safety car line but that's probably just flinging mud on the part of Merc:

bz3yeb07t4581.jpg

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Lol, insufferable prick. He didn't sound like he had much "trust in the FIA" when he was crying on the radio to them after the first lap incident wasn't punished.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm guessing the race will stand but Michael Masi will be thrown to the wolves by the FIA. To be honest he's been fucking terrible all year.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Had it recorded as I was driving back from the inlaws. What a fucking mess that is. What the actual fuck. Fuck F1.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I know nothing about f1 because I've always thought it was a bit of a joke. Watched today though and it did very little to persuade me otherwise haha.

DaGaffer

Would be funny if max got a 5 second penalty.

None of this is actually Verstappen's fault, which is why I doubt the Mercedes appeal will get anywhere; the problem is entirely with the Race Director and the Stewards.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
None of this is actually Verstappen's fault, which is why I doubt the Mercedes appeal will get anywhere; the problem is entirely with the Race Director and the Stewards.

I feel sorry for him because it feels like the win will be marred but he did absolutely nothing wrong.

Embattle

FH is my second home

Mine comment would be based in him passing before the safety line.

Although the other claim would mean it is unfair on Lewis.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Honestly, I don't really think I have a problem with the decision in general... The problem was that it was seemingly decided not to let the lapped drivers go forward, then last second deciding to do it and suddenly Verstappen was immediately behind Hamilton then the safety car immediately ended.

It must have been the most confusing few seconds for Hamilton, I wonder if he had more of a warning he could have done more to defend his position.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The problem being that if all the cars were allowed to pass the race would of ended under the safety car, Max got the best of both outcomes.

DaGaffer

The problem being that if all the cars were allowed to pass the race would of ended under the safety car, Max got the best of both outcomes.

You'd have got half a lap, maybe a bit more, and Lewis as race leader would have some control about when to go; they took away all of his options by doing what they did, and simply handed the championship to Max.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If Merc calculated that the race could restart then they might have made the choice to stick HAM on fresh tyres, but as they interpret the rules that wouldn't have happened... Masi changed the rules.... I am neutral between MAX and HAM but this appeal does have some credibility to it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm not a fan of either particularly, doesn't change Lewis had complete control then got screwed.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
For me, I think Mercedes should drop it and go to work on next years car, they won the constructor title after all. Plus, if both cars had fallen off the track Max would have won the drivers title anyway.
Dragging it out just looks like sour grapes.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Wrap it up. The Race Director can basically do what he likes, even if it explicitly goes against other regulations.

fubast95u5581.jpg

Embattle

FH is my second home
For me, I think Mercedes should drop it and go to work on next years car, they won the constructor title after all. Plus, if both cars had fallen off the track Max would have won the drivers title anyway.

Part of reason RB got closer this year is because Merc were putting more effort in to next year's car already.

I suspect it isn't the end and it will go on for a while yet.

DaGaffer

But both cars didn't fall off the track. That's kind of the point. You expect to race according to a set of agreed rules and plan strategy accordingly. Once the safety car came out Merc had the right to expect the rules would continue to be the rules they'd always been, and they weren't, because the Race Director is apparently God and can do what the fuck he wants. I wasn't joking about F1 being no more credible than WWE, because if you can just change things whenever you feel like to make things more entertaining, how can anyone plan for that?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Appeal lodged, unsurprisingly. Let's see if CAS is as forgiving of the FIA as the FIA is.

Embattle

FH is my second home
"They have done an amazing job this year, showing passion and determination.

"Max got a little bit lucky with the safety car tonight but still had to come through with the strategy.

"We didn't want it to end in the steward's room. They have come to the right decision, we are grateful.

"Michael Masi wanted to let them race. That's what we have talked about for years. Nikki Lauda came up with the concept of 'let them race' and that's what they did.

"Max is a very worthy world champion and we are very proud of him."

I really wish they would stop describing that ending as a race, it wasn't anything more than an execution at the hands of Masi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom