Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Red Bull does seem to churn through an alarming number of drivers though.

Absolutely, but I do think they are adjusting... they have given Albon quite a few races and they are retaining him in a testing / substitiute role. External influence here is also a factor.... there is no way on earth to justify Sergio Perez not being in F1 next year.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Albon has had his go and failed. Red Bull are punching for competitive, they can't do that with one driver...their cars are nearly there, 1/2 of their drivers, not so much.

Red bull are still miles behind Mercedes but then everyone else is too.

Mercedes wouldn't be Mercedes without a world class driver coupled with another great driver (and a great team behind them)

That second driver is what Red bull lack.

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Edit, world class somehow feels weak when attributed to Hamilton...he is legendary.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Personally I would have waited another season or two before chucking a sir at him but good on him.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Personally I would have waited another season or two before chucking a sir at him but good on him.

Why? He's officially the most successful F1 driver of all time, Would another couple of years have made him more the most successful F1 driver of all time?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Why? He's officially the most successful F1 driver of all time, Would another couple of years have made him more the most successful F1 driver of all time?
Gonna be one of the last to make it from nothing to the top in the sport tbh. Why couldnt the sky fairy made the stevenage guy me 20 years before lol.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Dare I try this? Why a dislike @Embattle ??

I'm sure I've said this before but perhaps not here. I find there is more to being a Brit than just waving a Union Jack at the end of a race and that ties in with another reason why he shouldn't of got it in the same way the rumour why David Beckenham hasn't got one either which is in essence to do with Tax. I personally also think he is a hypocrite every time he feels the need to mention the state of the environment, being a vegan, etc. and as much as I enjoy F1 lets not kid ourselves it is ultimately a sport where a competitor drives round and round a circuit going absolutely no where and at the same time a lot of pollution is produced both directly and indirectly.

To me the honours system is a joke not only because of these sorts of cases but mainly because of the cronyism that has been going on for a long time, the real impact of it is those that I believe who do and should receive such honours have them devalued.

DaGaffer

I'm sure I've said this before but perhaps not here. I find there is more to being a Brit than just waving a Union Jack at the end of a race and that ties in with another reason why he shouldn't of got it in the same way the rumour why David Beckenham hasn't got one either which is in essence to do with Tax. I personally also think he is a hypocrite every time he feels the need to mention the state of the environment, being a vegan, etc. and as much as I enjoy F1 lets not kid ourselves it is ultimately a sport where a competitor drives round and round a circuit going absolutely no where and at the same time a lot of pollution is produced both directly and indirectly.

To me the honours system is a joke not only because of these sorts of cases but mainly because of the cronyism that has been going on for a long time, the real impact of it is those that I believe who do and should receive such honours have them devalued.

If you're going to give knighthoods to sportsmen at all, then he deserves it, end of story. You can certainly have wider reservations about the very principle of the Honours system, and you wouldn't get an argument from me, but it does exist, we do give sports stars honours for astounding achievement and plenty of tax exiles have been given knighthoods in the past (Sean Connery, Branson, Charlie Chaplin, I'm sure there are many others), so the precedent is set.

As for objections about F1 itself, its no more or less pointless than any other sport, and I have a sneaking suspicion that most elite sports are environmentally damaging; what's the carbon cost of the average Champion's League season?

Finally, Hamilton's personal traits can be looked at as both a pro and a con; he won't be an F1 driver for ever, but his influence can outlive his driving career; so if he can champion zero carbon F1 and BLM for that matter, good luck to him (I'll never be down with veganism though), but they're not the reasons he's being knighted.

Embattle

FH is my second home
If you're going to give knighthoods to sportsmen at all, then he deserves it, end of story. You can certainly have wider reservations about the very principle of the Honours system, and you wouldn't get an argument from me, but it does exist, we do give sports stars honours for astounding achievement and plenty of tax exiles have been given knighthoods in the past (Sean Connery, Branson, Charlie Chaplin, I'm sure there are many others), so the precedent is set.

As for objections about F1 itself, its no more or less pointless than any other sport, and I have a sneaking suspicion that most elite sports are environmentally damaging; what's the carbon cost of the average Champion's League season?

Finally, Hamilton's personal traits can be looked at as both a pro and a con; he won't be an F1 driver for ever, but his influence can outlive his driving career; so if he can champion zero carbon F1 and BLM for that matter, good luck to him (I'll never be down with veganism though), but they're not the reasons he's being knighted.

Again I disagree, I also wouldn't of given any tax exile an honour whether it be Lord Ashcroft, Branson, Philip Green, etc. and I also would like to see new precedents set around such aspects.

Again I would agree that the carbon footprint is probably quite big in a number of elite sports but I would also say I doubt any of them match F1 and secondly I would also say many other sports are more accessible to the general public to actually do themselves.

Having personal traits is one thing, preaching about them but lacking substance to support them isn't something that I personally ignore from anyone.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I would also say many other sports are more accessible to the general public to actually do themselves.
How accessible would you say Premier League or Champions League football is to the general public "to actually do themselves"? Not just football, but the highest tier of football. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, of course it's inaccessible. I don't know why that should be an excluding factor though, especially as Hamilton's dad worked 3 jobs to enable him to participate in carting.

DaGaffer

Again I disagree, I also wouldn't of given any tax exile an honour whether it be Lord Ashcroft, Branson, Philip Green, etc. and I also would like to see new precedents set around such aspects.

Again I would agree that the carbon footprint is probably quite big in a number of elite sports but I would also say I doubt any of them match F1 and secondly I would also say many other sports are more accessible to the general public to actually do themselves.

Having personal traits is one thing, preaching about them but lacking substance to support them isn't something that I personally ignore from anyone.

Sure, I get that about tax exiles, but the stable door is open, to deny Hamilton on those grounds would be both churlish and have terrible optics.

On the CO2 thing; apparently UEFA was getting serious blowback about the new multi-country Euro 2020 before COVID happened because it was going to generate 420,000 tonnes of CO2. F1 in its worst year (2018) generated 282,000 tonnes of CO2. So just one football competition can have that kind of impact; scale that up with all the others in an average year at club and country level and I'd bet it not only dwarfs F1, but probably all motorsport.

Finally, once again, he's not getting a knighthood for his personal opinions.

Embattle

FH is my second home
If you believe the stories behind HMRC having more of a say in who did or didn't get a honour then I get the feeling it is optics is the reason he may be getting one.

I would question what the stats included for pollution figures, but again it is secondary to the point that there is little point about being preachy on the environment when in one month alone you take more flights than I suspect the majority of people do.

Again we are never going to agree that is clearly obvious and nothing you say is going to change my mind that he like many others shouldn't receive them.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah - bit of a worry, hope he's ok!

Less seriously, at least he is classed as a 'young driver' so should recover quickly.... that might age very badly :unsure:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It surprised they let drivers do risky things outside of the track. Hope he heals for the start of the season

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It surprised they let drivers do risky things outside of the track. Hope he heals for the start of the season

It was probably cycle training to be honest.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker

You should follow Valentino Rossi and other MotoGP riders..... the shit they do is scary given the multi million dollars deals some of them have..

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Might stop him moaning to hamilton as he flies past. Lol

I think it might be a bit closer this year with the stalling of the aero changes. It could be a good test of Hammy, however, the think the methodical processes that the Mercs have will win out overall but it might be closer, but there was a few chinks in the armour last year.

I hope its closer and I wish that half the races were in the wet.. perhaps Bernie was right when he mentioned sprinklers !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom