Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Sprint Races

I'm not convinced by these, the last time they butchered qualifying it was a pigs ear.. the fact they still dont have the plans set out as the 1st GP is about to start seems a tad iffy.

"Under the plans, a qualifying session would be moved to Friday - replacing the second practice session - before a 100km qualifying sprint race on Saturday would be used to determine the grid for Sunday’s grand prix."

So, we'll only get 1 practise session, which, if youre like me it might be handy to have a sprint race for the price of practise day tickets, I'm just glad prices dont seem to be reflecting the changes. I guess the like of Silverstone will likely see a boost to ticket sales/concessions etc on the Friday, but Sat tickets will be down the pan, not great if you'll already bought them ^^

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
1st Practise looking interesting.. McLarens up there as I expected but early days yet.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Was really close. Lets see how my companies car does tomorrow. Oracle started sponsoring RedBull

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Was really close. Lets see how my companies car does tomorrow. Oracle started sponsoring RedBull
Will they do audits on the viewers and charge them extortionate amounts for viewing the Grand Prix the wrong way?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Get in there, Lewis. I was sure Verstappen would sail past him as he was drawing closer.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Was a great race, I think Lewis has finally got some competition, clearly through practise and qualy that Redbull was faster and even in the race I thought Lewis was history, he does tend to get a little nervous when things get closer (perhaps nervous sounding is a better word for it) but there was little this time cept for good clean racing and Hammy just had enough in the bag.

I think Verstappen showed great maturity too, he didnt do his bull in a china shop impression and knows this is a long season and building points is how this years season is going to be.

I had hoped for a bit more from the McLarens but this has traditionally been a merc circuit. High rake versus low rake could be interesting at Imola in a coupla weeks, I think we could see the Alpha Tauri's play a big part and maybe the Mclarens too, maybe even a win. But the old Mercs were fast here. Lets not forget the Renaults were pretty quick last year so maybe Nando could make an appearance.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
To say Lewis was lucky to push back up to 2nd is an understatement - without that red flag he would've been a lap down. Still, he did well to pull off those overtakes, it seems like the Merc is better in traffic than it has been previously.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I think we can all agree great race and great season so far - looks very exciting!!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I think he was unlucky there - I am not a LH fanboi but being offline in those conditions = horrible...
Nah it was a mis judgement. He tried to get the car on the corner and it wasnt on. Waiting till the next straight bit would have been better. Hind sight and all that.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Great drive by Lewis.

Poor strat from Red Bull. Needed to react to mercs stop.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Great drive by Lewis.

Poor strat from Red Bull. Needed to react to mercs stop.

Problem RB had though, they didn't have the tyres to do so - Merc laid a trap and got them right in it - I would say not bad strat from RB, more like genius strat from James V at Merc... still needed Lewis to make it work though, and he delivered.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Problem RB had though, they didn't have the tyres to do so - Merc laid a trap and got them right in it - I would say not bad strat from RB, more like genius strat from James V at Merc... still needed Lewis to make it work though, and he delivered.

Tyres were key but Lewis' second set was a used set, but as RB didnt cover them off that was a moot point, RB had a small window to react and I dont know whos call it was to stay out but it wasnt good at all. unlike Mercs where they seem to win and lose as a team..RB I can see being pretty vindictive, none more so than Helmut Marko.

I must admit I'm feeling a bit for Verstappen, I think Mercs have played a blinder, Red Bull are being out Red Bulled big time, max is feeling the pressure more than ever before, I do get the feeling that he is saying "Jesus Lewis fuck off already" in a good way ^^.

Thats and they are going to get slagged off if they change their rear wing before the new testing starts in June..people will know they were 'bending' the rules.

As for Bottas, I've always thought of him as a number 2 driver, he's there to get the constructors points when Lewis falls off the track, but the silly stunt of making Lewis work for the overtake has sealed his fate.
Toto will regret stating that he wont leave mid season, I was surprised Lewis didn't say anything, or perhaps it was just full of expletives ! I still cant see Russell in the car this year, lots rate him, but for me the jury is still out. I rate Lando much more at this time there is more natural talent, whereas I feel Russell is more technical, kinda like Prost vs Senna (but not at their level....yet)

Feel a tad sorry for Perez, he's struggling to pull it all together, but still performing way ahead of Albon, many years of experience for Perez has put him in a better position in RB, but in F1 you dont get many chances I fear we have seen the last of Albion, which is a shame, he did some cracking overtakes. I'm loving that Lando is 4th in the drivers champs too.

Monaco will be interesting, Danny Ric loves that place, and will be interesting to see how the McLaren performance.

As we all said before this started, its going to be an interesting year, I wish the same could be said for Moto GP. They have even decided to put LeMan live on terrestrial this weekend to try and get some take up from the UK folks. No brit riders in the top flight this year and BT and Dorna are wondering wtf thy are going to do to bring some interest to it, Sam Lowes in Moto2 has a good chance if he can stay on the bike and wee McPhee is an also ran.

Thank god SailGP is back in June and July.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
See they've talked to the teams about flexible rear wings:

Yep - this is one of the fascinating aspects of F1 - the teams coming up with genius manufacturing or designs with the FIA chasing them like keystone cops :)

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Yep - this is one of the fascinating aspects of F1 - the teams coming up with genius manufacturing or designs with the FIA chasing them like keystone cops :)

Haha loving the start line cheats, and how the FIA busted them live.

Theres an interesting few YT vids on various rule bending that has taken place over the decades...some clever clever people people out there.
Red Bull have history with bendy things :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rtzM-IUAx8

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Something interesting happening at Monaco shocker.

now to watch the actual race which after the start will probably be a prcession

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom