Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
This is carnage. And they're going to do it again next week. This track is a car killer.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Or the cars are not as reliable this year. Time will tell
Brundle said in the commentary that he'd spoken to some of the teams and the cars had basically been packed up in boxes for over 6 weeks after Australia was cancelled so they've had a fraction of the time they'd usually have to prepare them for the season after Winter testing.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Mercs definitely seem a little fragile, and were in pre-season, though I am sure they'll work on that - worth keeping in mind that Williams use their own gearboxes, not Mercedes... awesome race, and we're back there again next weekend - love it!

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmmmmmmm..... not sure what I really think of this...

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Should be good if they can make a decent car tbh

Well true, but 2020 cars largely carry over to 2021 except for minor changes - the major changes come in 2022 now.... perhaps it gives him a chance to shape the team to his liking - I certainly expect some controversy / dicking around :)

DaGaffer

What does that mean for Vettel? Where can he go now?

I think he'll retire. He's lost interest anyway, and definitely won't want to noodle around in a mid-tier team. He'll drop out "for a year" but I doubt he'll return.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
What does that mean for Vettel? Where can he go now?

I agree with @DaGaffer really, but let's now completely rule out a tie-up with Mercedes - German driver would be a very tempting marketing play for them, albeit highly unlikely.

DaGaffer

I agree with @DaGaffer really, but let's now completely rule out a tie-up with Mercedes - German driver would be a very tempting marketing play for them, albeit highly unlikely.

They've already re-signed Bottas, so unless Hamilton suddenly retires, I doubt Merc will be available. If indeed Merc are around at all by 2022.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
They've already re-signed Bottas, so unless Hamilton suddenly retires, I doubt Merc will be available. If indeed Merc are around at all by 2022.

I don't think they have either contracted for 2021 yet.....

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Well, as I said, very unlikely but not contracted, as Seb acknowleges:

"The last few years prove that right. I can understand that they want to stick with it. No decision has been made in this respect yet. In theory, both places are still free. But is clear that Lewis can stay if he wants to. And the same goes, after (Sunday), for Valtteri."

Embattle

FH is my second home
We saw Vettel in his Red Bull days cause problems and be ragged at times when under pressure but this was overlooked because he did great in a great car and ultimately won.

Now we move on to his time at Ferrari and he seems to have the same negative aspects as before but with additional negative aspects, he costs a lot of money and is clearly slower than his team mate. In fact there are a number of drivers who are clearly above him at the moment.

The Alonso move is only understandable if his wage demands have decreased significantly.

DaGaffer

We saw Vettel in his Red Bull days cause problems and be ragged at times when under pressure but this was overlooked because he did great in a great car and ultimately won.

Now we move on to his time at Ferrari and he seems to have the same negative aspects as before but with additional negative aspects, he costs a lot of money and is clearly slower than his team mate. In fact there are a number of drivers who are clearly above him at the moment.

The Alonso move is only understandable if his wage demands have decreased significantly.

Alonso is acknowledged as one of the best development drivers around so he's probably coming back because of the new technical rules.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

I agree with most of your post, but with this - don't forget that driver salaries fall outside of the new budget caps....

Embattle

FH is my second home
I agree with most of your post, but with this - don't forget that driver salaries fall outside of the new budget caps....

Oh I know it isn't included with the new budget caps but you still want to maximise your driver return.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
For anyone out there who has access but is ambivalent about watching on Sunday, it could be extremely spicy and I recommend making time for it ;):cool:(y)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Qualifying was grand, here are the closing stages...

A supreme lap from Hamilton, 1.2s out in front.

Ferrari nowhere to be seen - Leclerc didn't get out of Q2 and is under investigation for 2 separate incidents.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Qualifying was grand, here are the closing stages...

A supreme lap from Hamilton, 1.2s out in front.

Ferrari nowhere to be seen - Leclerc didn't get out of Q2 and is under investigation for 2 separate incidents.

Damn thought they had cancelled the qually today cause of the rain. I really wanna know what was in the ferrari engine last year that they had to take out which meant they went from poles and competitive to this

Embattle

FH is my second home
Damn thought they had cancelled the qually today cause of the rain. I really wanna know what was in the ferrari engine last year that they had to take out which meant they went from poles and competitive to this

So do a lot of F1 teams via legal means.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Utterly awesome mixed up quali - the race is gonna be awesome, I hope!!!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Leclerc has a 3-place penalty (for blocking Kvyat, I don't think there's a decision on not pitting under the red flag yet so it could get worse) so George Russell moves up to 11th on the grid.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Leclerc has a 3-place penalty (for blocking Kvyat, I don't think there's a decision on not pitting under the red flag yet so it could get worse) so George Russell moves up to 11th on the grid.

I know it was very mixed conditions, but even so, that quali from George was really excellent!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fucking lol.

You cannot make this shit up at Ferrari.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom