The Centre of the Galaxy

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If you want to see the deepest objects we've photographed:

Hubble Ultra Deep Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20080120124328!Hubble_ultra_deep_field.jpg

The light from these far distant galaxies are billions of years ago

Scientists estimate the size of the expanded universe is at least 196,000,000,000 light years across and growing

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
When you see shit like that, it just increases the chances of there being other life forms out there. I wish I could live forever just to see how it all unfolds!!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm positive there is life out there. The distances are so incredibly vast. Even if we could travel at the speed of light it would take 100,000 years to travel to the other side of our own galaxy, which is peanuts in terms of galactic distance. Yet the human life span is measured merely in tens of years.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
There must be life out for there I agree. Humans are nothing more than complex, evolved organisms. Over billions of planets, stars etc, there must be other organisms that have evolved over time.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
why must there be? perhaps earth really was a collection of random chances that led to life.

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
why must there be? perhaps earth really was a collection of random chances that led to life.

sorry but i disagree with you on this... there has to be life else where in the universe regardless... to have something so huge to only have us alive is narrow minded...

Theres prolly monsters hostile or friendly out there that could be the size of earth itself. We will never know not in our life time but to rule it out completely....no thanks. I do believe there is something else out there and to be honest I wouldn't want to get in contact because again its the unknown...

I reckon in time humans will be living in space and travel to things we could never even dream off or meet things hostile and friendly. It will be look out for yourself and keep the human race going on and on and on... but eventually It could end because the Human race will meet something that could wipe us out, who knows...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie

10^24 stars in the universe (at a very rough estimate) and you don't think one of them has experienced advanced evolution in an organism?

tris-

i didnt say that.
i said why must there be life somewhere else?

amphrax, it is equally narrow minded to suggest that there is only one answer to the question. just because your answer is that there is life does not make you more open minded. you could say that is very narrow minded.

youre not considering anything else to reach your answer other than "the universe is big so life MUST exist somewhere else". youre suggesting there is no chance at all that earth could be the only planet with life.

im suggesting that life could exist somewhere else. the universe is relatively large and perhaps the exact same factors (distance from a sun, planet formation, nourishment etc) may well exist somewhere else.on the other hand, it could be that earth's progress really was due to the particular circumstances it found its self in, and the same circumstances may not exist somewhere else.

just because there is x amount of stars does not mean that life must exist.
just because a very specific set of processes created humans, does not mean that it could not happen somewhere else.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I think the hypothesis 'the universe is so big so life must exist somewhere else' is a very real hypothesis to make.

It's in the same (statistical) realms as saying 'if you flip a coin enough times, it will eventually land on a head.' Statistically, it could never land on a head in 10^24 tries but the likelihood is that it will.

Let's add this to the fact that scientists believe there is water vapour in the atmopshere on Mars & that liquid water below the ice caps may contain signs of life in the past or present.

We have landed on about 3-4 different planets/moons & observed 10 max or so in close detail, by probes etc.

So that still leaves 10^24 - 10 planets left to observe.

Do you not truly appreciate just how fuckin big 10^24 is? The universe is relatively large? It is fuckin massive beyond imagination.

tris-

`
Do you not truly appreciate just how fuckin big 10^24 is?

i dont recall making that statement.

i do recall making the post above though.

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
Just to add :p they did find life on Mars :) was some kind of worm, hehe

@tris I do see your point but I still dont believe that we are the only ones alive in the universe :)

tris-

they didnt find a worm. they found a fossil of what could be some kind of organism, which may have been contaminated when the metero hit earth.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I agree with tris, while it is quite likely given the amount of planets in the universe, that is no reason to start throwing the word 'must' around.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
When you see shit like that, it just increases the chances of there being other life forms out there. I wish I could live forever just to see how it all unfolds!!

I had the same thought just now after seeing that photo.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!

Mathematically speaking, its possibly, but EXTREMELY unlikely

Look at that deep field image again

There are approx 10,000 galaxies in that picture. That picture represents something like one thirty millionth of the sky, and there are many many more galaxies beyond that. Each galaxy contains BILLIONS of stars. There are countless MILLIONS of solar systems in each galaxy. Hell, we don't know much about our own galaxy.

My view is that the universe is teeming with life.

The technology required to travel immense distances is hundreds if not thousands of years beyond us.

tris-

some wil have us believe that life here actually arrived on a meteor.

isnt that just as unlikely? we have to assume this meteor came from god knows where, managed to avoid every obstacle in its path, and then landed at just the right time in the right place.

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
some wil have us believe that life here actually arrived on a meteor.

isnt that just as unlikely? we have to assume this meteor came from god knows where, managed to avoid every obstacle in its path, and then landed at just the right time in the right place.

They don't say that fully formed life came from a meteor, just that some of the important building blocks, which are just complex carbon molecules, arrived here on a comet or meteor, which seems very likely to me, considering the early nature of our solar system, and the amount of rocks still banging around in it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Heh, i've always said that creation theory and evolution theory are both rather ridicilous when told in the right way.

Just think about the evolution theory and try to look at it from a humbug point of view, it does seem VERY far fetched.

Like...well...5 million years far? :D

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
Heh, i've always said that creation theory and evolution theory are both rather ridicilous when told in the right way.

Just think about the evolution theory and try to look at it from a humbug point of view, it does seem VERY far fetched.

Like...well...5 million years far? :D

Evolution still makes more sense than "men were made from magic clay and women from a rib in said man". And evolution not only makes a lot more sense, things that work survive, things that don't work, don't survive; but it has also been shown in the lab multiple times.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Evolution still makes more sense than "men were made from magic clay and women from a rib in said man". And evolution not only makes a lot more sense, things that work survive, things that don't work, don't survive; but it has also been shown in the lab multiple times.

Well, more and more, like i said, try to look at it from a humbug point of view.

"There were these amoeba in the sea right? And then they sprouted legs and started walking and eating bananas and then one day they started acting different from the other walking things, started talking and making cars and all."

While the creation would be;

"A being of higher conciousnes, alien if you will, crafted the humans from the minerals and primal elements of the earth as a science experiment. Then he cloned the original, making changes in the DNA to turn it female so the two could re-produce."

Sounds like similar bullcrap :D

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
Well, more and more, like i said, try to look at it from a humbug point of view.

"There were these amoeba in the sea right? And then they sprouted legs and started walking and eating bananas and then one day they started acting different from the other walking things, started talking and making cars and all."

While the creation would be;

"A being of higher conciousnes, alien if you will, crafted the humans from the minerals and primal elements of the earth as a science experiment. Then he cloned the original, making changes in the DNA to turn it female so the two could re-produce."

Sounds like similar bullcrap :D

Funny you should say that :) I do think or a possibility that we are an experiment made from Aliens who originally put us here on earth to see how we get on... which is why UFO sightings have been seen as I think they come and check to see how we are doing... in some sort of weird way...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Funny you should say that :) I do think or a possibility that we are an experiment made from Aliens who originally put us here on earth to see how we get on... which is why UFO sightings have been seen as I think they come and check to see how we are doing... in some sort of weird way...

Aliens would be gods to the folk who lived here, so it's as vlaid a theory as any.

Much like what i sometimes ponder; created evolution.

Just someone poking us in the right direction.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Wasn't overly impressed with that video TBPH
Found the ones showing the relative sizes of stars more awesome
And there are better videos panning out across the cosmos than that 1

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture

Old

2001-a-space-odyssey-ape-monolith.jpg

:p

Marc

FH is my second home

See, I dont believe that any intelligent life could even visit us. I cant see how they could be that technoligical that a, they could travel faster than the speed of light which is needed to arrive it our planet in a decent time scale and b, if they could travel at faster than the speed of light (which I very much doubt) how would they avoid all the necessary objects and not destroy their ships?

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
See, I dont believe that any intelligent life could even visit us. I cant see how they could be that technoligical that a, they could travel faster than the speed of light which is needed to arrive it our planet in a decent time scale and b, if they could travel at faster than the speed of light (which I very much doubt) how would they avoid all the necessary objects and not destroy their ships?

a technologically advanced race is more likely to utilise wormholes to travel across the cosmos we know the theory and it works we just dont have the know how yet to accomplish it, ie the power consumption. however its a lot simpler than beating the light barrier

also im pretty sure that any civilization that can crack lightspeed would certainly be capable of plotting a safe trajectory

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom