The Centre of the Galaxy

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
For those of you who don't read slashdot, here is a link to an awesome image of the central part of the Milky Way galaxy. The image is a composite made up of images in the infra-red, visible light and x-ray spectrums, released to celebrate 400 years since Galileo first made observations of the night sky with his telescope in 1609.

Enjoy!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I'm sure I am not the first person to be upset and slightly hurt that I am not infact in that picture :(

it is nice though, looks slightly eviiil and dramatic! did you see the photos of the sandstorm on Mars a while back, it looked like a very strange tattoo. I love space pics!

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Ahhhh the space.... I wanna work with space-related stuff! Too bad you apparently need to know about maths to do that o_O

leviathane

Part of the furniture
just makes you think how insignificant we truely are in the whole grand scheme of things. Us just floating around on our tiny planet.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
the proof there is a god, and he's not friendly

Attachments

• THECLAW.jpg
    THECLAW.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 91

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm more impressed with what all that dust is hiding. Behind the bright bit to right of centre is Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the centre of the galaxy.

This gif animation shows individual stars whipping around an invisible gravity source in a matter of months. That's Sagittarius A*.
gclarge.gif

And zoomed in...
gcsmall.gif

Ezteq

Queen of OT
woah I didn't realise gifs could be educational! rep for making learning fun!

Thadius

Part of the furniture
That photo is obviously a fake Dahacon.

The universe revolves around me! :D

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
differences in scale there are just mind boggling. Difficult to comprehend just how tiny our little system is in the cosmic scale of things

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Here's something fascinating.

if we sent a radio signal at the speed of light through the universe, it may not reach the edge ever because either the universe would cease to exist or the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Also, I can't help but feel insignificant, knowing I will probably never live to see any form of expansion of us earth people into the galaxy (or very little).

The universe will continue its existence and progression over billions of years, whilst we die in a mere 80.

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
Also, I can't help but feel insignificant, knowing I will probably never live to see any form of expansion of us earth people into the galaxy (or very little).

The universe will continue its existence and progression over billions of years, whilst we die in a mere 80.

the fact that mankind continues to progress and exist once you die is no reason to feel insignificant. there have been people who lived a long time ago and are significant even today.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
the fact that mankind continues to progress and exist once you die is no reason to feel insignificant. there have been people who lived a long time ago and are significant even today.

lol i'm just peeved that I won't be about to see it, it's not dying that bugs me it's all the stuff I'll miss out knowing about...

..that and the opportunity to don apocolypse gear and fight giant mutant zombie aliens when they invade because i'll either be:
A) dead and gone because it happens sooo far into the future or
B) waaay too old to look good in thigh high boots, hot pants and an ankle length leather coat and too feeble to wield my trusty laser cannon because the invasion happens when I'm like 90 or something and the only input I have on the invasion is moaning about it because newscasts about said giant alien zombies have replaced my afternoon gameshow

what a jip :(

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i want to live to see the end of the world or some kind of massive global disaster like a meteor or something.

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
B) waaay too old to look good in thigh high boots, hot pants and an ankle length leather coat and too feeble to wield my trusty laser cannon because the invasion happens when I'm like 90 or something and the only input I have on the invasion is moaning about it because newscasts about said giant alien zombies have replaced my afternoon gameshow

that will never happen, because by the time giant alien zombies invade we will have perfected cyborg technology. so at worst you will be a 10 foot robot with a mohawk antenna (for keeping in touch with command) dual wielding gatling lasers cannons. with chainsaws on your elbows.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
The thing that is rly mind boggling is that all those stars might aswell exploded and dissapeared ages ago already and we wouldnt notice yet :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom