the biggest pile of.....

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by cjravey
Bladerunner (yawn)
Anything Bruce Lee was in
Karate Kid
Rocky (all of them, deal with it)

CJ has a habit of saying films are shite that he hasn't even watched, which is odd. However, he IS right about Bladerunner.

C

cjravey

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
CJ has a habit of saying films are shite that he hasn't even watched, which is odd. However, he IS right about Bladerunner.

I have seen enough of all of the above. Here's a nice example for you - 'I have a video of a fat german man defacating into a plate of jelly. It runs to three hours - how long do you have to watch to make your mind up on it?'

Ditto most martial arts stuff and portentious pretentious sci-fi twaddle, like Bladerunner (or the bits in Enter the Matrix cut scenes where no-one's fighting),

F

-fus-

Originally posted by Debaser
I quite liked it :eek6:

Charlie's Angels (with Drew & Co) is THE biggest pile of nothing I've ever sat through recently tbh.

Resident Evil and Tomb Raider rank pretty high too.

Resi. Evil was great, Tomb Raider was wank, but Charlie's Angels had one feature which redeemed it, mmm cameron.

D

dysfunction

Resident Evil was utter crap!

It was dull boring and just plain stupid.

They could have done soo much better to give it justice to the game...

F

-fus-

Well, maybe, but I quite liked it, for the same reason i liked GoldenEye. I love it when films have game references, or are films made from games (the other way round usually((always!)) makes shit games).

Maybe it's just me :|

N

nath

Um, since when did Goldeneye have any game references?

D

dysfunction

I think he thinks Goldeneye was a game before it was a film...

:rolleyes:

T

Testin da Cable

I remember seriously wanting a monolith when I was younger :)

W

Wij

The relationship between man and tool has never been explored better imo.

*explore man-tool*

N

nath

Man, I saw that coming 3 miles off

*Watches wij coming*

O

old.ignus

Originally posted by Wij
Ignus is wrong !!1

Oh come on most of the movie is listening to that blokes heavy breathing, if you enjoy that then Im seriously worried.

C

cjravey

Originally posted by old.ignus
Oh come on most of the movie is listening to that blokes heavy breathing, if you enjoy that then Im seriously worried.

I'm with Ignus.

N

nath

You're both wrong.

The movie is intentionally very slow paced and devoid of humanity. Did you notice that the most human/emotional person of all of the cast was Hal?

C

cjravey

Originally posted by nath
You're both wrong.

D'oh! it's all so clear now - we're both wrong... Because Kubrick went out to make a film that is slow, sterile crap, it's a good film!;) Effects heavy, cold, bad film making. Technically good, yes.... It's like that scene in Star Trek teh Motionless Picture where Kirk eyes up the Enterprise for half an hour, but in this case for most of the running time of the film.

I just don't find it engaging on any level - it's a deeply personal thing, because many latch onto it, so it must have something....

W

Wij

You're just wrong. Accept it and bow before Kubrick's masterpeice freakogay !

(A new word every day keeps life fresh. Call me James Joyce)

N

nath

Ravey, surely you have to accept the fact that it was an incredible film. So many people loved it and is almost always hailed as the greatest film of all time.

Shit, I didn't like the Godfather much, I couldn't get in to it.. but I'm totally in acceptance of the fact that it's a fantastic movie.. there's just something wrong with me for not liking it. :D

edit: oh and try and read a few theories/essays written about the film. Some very interesting stuff out there.

C

cjravey

I've read loads about the film - the latest being SFX waxing lyrical in their 'Greatest Sci-Fi Movies of all Time' special - but still, the above ('I don't find it engaging, but there must be something about it as so many people like it') is as much a concession as I'm willing to make:)

Although I love science fiction, mostly, I'm more about the human than the hardware - and whether purposeful or not, there's just no heart to 2001 I always found....

(PS - I'm aware that SFX mag ain't the most intellectual of essay-sources, was just agreeing that it's worth finding out more about these things).

Maybe I'll give it another go someday.

W

Wij

It's about humanity but it largely ignores 'humanity'. That's the genius of it.

O

old.ignus

So what you're saying is students and sci-fi nuts are the people who made the film cult status. In my opinion Kubrick was shit *shock horror* full metal jacket, well any film about the "vietnam war" is already shit before its made, I never saw the shinning and the only people who tell me about clockwork orange are students and we all know how valuable their opinions are, and eyes wide shut just had no point to it. It just seems that Kubrick's films have no point to them.
And just in case I haven't offended everyone just yet, the godfather was complete shit too.

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by nath
So many people loved it

Please, that is never a good reason!

So many people also like Victoria Beckham, Jade Goody and Blazin' Squad but that doesn't mean they have anything of worth to them.

Blade Runner is poo. :p

N

nath

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
Blade Runner is poo. :p

Leave.

Now.

Oh and Ignus, Kubricks films were far from pointless. You'll notice most of his films seem very empty, almost emotionless and without humanity. This was on purpose, I think most of his films were about societies lack of humanity, 2001 displaying that particularly well.

Oh, and it's not just students that like Kubrick films. Almost all film buffs do.

C

cjravey

Film buffs? Pschaw. Anyway, I think we all understand that Kubrick's films are lacking in warmth on purpose, some people like that - others don't.

In the spirit of give and take, here's some sci-fi films I love which anyone who loathes them can rip apart:

Fritz Lang's Metropolis (yep, even the Moroder version)
Brazil
Dalek Invasion of Earth 2150 AD - a camp classic

Shoot.

W

Wij

Celluloid possesses an atomic weight greater than the sum of its parts. Is it any wonder that films corrupt the soul ?

G

Greef

Some films of a lowww qualite I can think of:

Tremors (It's so bad' everytime it's on TV I have to watch it, because I know I'll laugh the whole way through - even the actors can't help smirking)

Tremors 2 (not quite so funny though, just crap)

Universal Soldier (The film I wanted to see was full, but -boy- did I feel ripped off after watching this)
Actually I can't think of a good film with J C V D in it!

Like Mike (ffs an electrical storm gives him magic Nikes!!!!!!)

XXX - shite, but some good stunts

Titanic - well filmed, but so unexiting my legs went to sleep while watching it in the cimema!

Sleepless in seattle - nice sentiments, but ffs we had to watch him walk down a corridor for about 5 minutes - yawn :bore:

Anaconda
The crocodile one like that
The shark one like that - deep blue or summat

AliG indahouse- you can't keep making the same joke over & over - it's dull

oh btw: Anyone that criticises Bladerunner, The Shining or Space Oddysey is a heretic! :D

D

Debaser

Originally posted by Greef
Some films of a lowww qualite I can think of:

Tremors (It's so bad' everytime it's on TV I have to watch it, because I know I'll laugh the whole way through - even the actors can't help smirking)

Tremors a great film! not bad or low quality, just a pastiche of earlier b movies.

Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom