The Actual Desk Thread

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Bunnymen indeed, a full set and with tags. Should be worth something one day. They were sent to us at Tiny to give to kids, but i think we kept the lot.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
workdesk_0104.jpg

Work desk. Tidier than usual :)

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
desk-home.jpg

Current desk at home - this evening I'll be packing it up to ship off to Uni, so expect another desk-shot in a couple of days :)

Reverend Flatus

Fledgling Freddie
RandomBastard said:
And revered flatus wins the cat licking its genitals award.
I had to wait hours for him to do that specially for the picture.
RandomBastard said:
as well as apearing to have a smal mixing desk on top of his hifi
It's a Roland VS-880, quite old now but still a fine piece of equipment.

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
My desk from the year before last, I have moved house since then, but it still looks pretty much the same :D

LLPIC110603115714.JPG

My screen is in the far right hand corner ;) Picture is from a LAN I ran back then ;)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
kanonfodda said:
My desk from the year before last, I have moved house since then, but it still looks pretty much the same :D

LLPIC110603115714.JPG

My screen is in the far right hand corner ;) Picture is from a LAN I ran back then ;)
Hmm, is your monitor set really far back, or is it only 14" :p

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
At the time it was a 17", and was sat really far back, I've got a 21" iiyama now though :p

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
oo i can tell i touched a few nerves in the mx700 camps :p

I just read reviews before buying and I wanted a good gaming mouse. There was talk of a very slight lag in some games, so I bought the wired one.

G

RF signal = Speed of Light
Signal down a wire = Speed of Light

I hope you sit as close as possible to your monitor to eliminate the latency between the light emitting from the screen and it reaching your eyes.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Some radio equipment can have a small (4ms) delay from processing the signal. I don't know if this is applicable to computer equipment, but certainly digital radio microphones possess this characteristic.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The cordless Intellimouse Explorer (the first one, not bluetooth or anything) was shocking for lag. It felt like I was dragging the cursor around the screen on a bit of elastic or something. :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
just after I'd moved housie:

desk.jpg

in my defence...things have changed.....slightly ;)

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Ohhh a cube type case, i considered getting one to sit on top of my fridge but then cba cause a black widow is smaller and shinier :)

TdC

RandomBastard said:
Ohhh a cube type case

yes, I'm most happy with all the space inside. sadly, for some odd reason the airflow is utter p00 :/

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Scooba da Bass said:

I hope you sit as close as possible to your monitor to eliminate the latency between the light emitting from the screen and it reaching your eyes.
The speed of electrons in a wire has nothing to do with the rate at which the mouse reports its position back to the PC... The data rate of the interfaces, available bandwidth and medium concerned are the factors which will ultimately influence lag and whatnot...

As if we're comparing air and wires, RF only moves at the speed of light in 'free space' - earths atmosphere is most definately not vacuum ;)

Comparitive rates

Microsoft USB intellimice operate at ~125Hz

Logitech MX700 comes in at about ~112Hz

Microsofts Intellimouse Explorer around ~45Hz

Intellimouse Explorer v2 ~107Hz

Logitech MX900 Bluetooth ~ 122Hz

If anyones interested in how these are worked out or measured, there's a paragraph covering the subject of sample rates here in Byms Intellimouse Explorer Wireless article.

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
TdC said:
yes, I'm most happy with all the space inside. sadly, for some odd reason the airflow is utter p00 :/
Fit 80MM fans behind the hard drive drive bays on the rear-right, a 60mm fan front-left and a pair of gammas on their side in one of the 5.25" slots and that case will be nice and chilleh ;)

Xav

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Scooba da Bass said:

taht aer teh best comparison ever

<sarc>

my 14.4 modem is connected via wires, why then does it lag so bad in CS if it's as fast as the speed of light?!! is it my OGC slowing it down?!!

</sarc>

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/mswirelessintel/3.html MS explorer lag

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-125-4.htm MX700 lag

Having said that, there are plenty of preachers saying that there is no lag at all. The fact that some people notice it put me off buying it.

That is all.

G

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Xavier said:
The speed of electrons in a wire has nothing to do with the rate at which the mouse reports its position back to the PC... The data rate of the interfaces, available bandwidth and medium concerned are the factors which will ultimately influence lag and whatnot...

As if we're comparing air and wires, RF only moves at the speed of light in 'free space' - earths atmosphere is most definately not vacuum ;)

Comparitive rates

Microsoft USB intellimice operate at ~125Hz

Logitech MX700 comes in at about ~112Hz

Microsofts Intellimouse Explorer around ~45Hz

Intellimouse Explorer v2 ~107Hz

Logitech MX900 Bluetooth ~ 122Hz

If anyones interested in how these are worked out or measured, there's a paragraph covering the subject of sample rates here in Byms Intellimouse Explorer Wireless article.

Xav

A'thank ya ;)

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Xavier said:
Fit 80MM fans behind the hard drive drive bays on the rear-right, a 60mm fan front-left and a pair of gammas on their side in one of the 5.25" slots and that case will be nice and chilleh ;)

Xav

Not to mention loud enough to wake the dead.

TdC

Xavier said:

Xav

I have 4 fans in it currently :( The noise makes me fit to kill puppies with an oxy blowtorch :/

RandomBastard said:
Not to mention loud enough to wake the dead.

indeed :(

Salteh

Fledgling Freddie
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-125-4.htm MX700 lag
Update I heard from Kyle at HardOCP that he also noticed some lag at first with the MX700. He was able to solve this by moving his base away from his CRT monitor. I recall that I always kept my base near my monitor,

My mx700 manual clearly tells the user to move the base station/reciever about 20 cm / 8 inches away from other electrical thingies such as monitors :twak:.

Silly non-manual-reading reviewers :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom