Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Are you suggesting that many of the issues around the world boil down to rich people fucking over not so rich people?

Careful around these parts comrade, you'll be called a China loving commie!

As agreed, let's keep the politics elsewhere please @Gwadien

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Are you suggesting that many of the issues around the world boil down to rich people fucking over not so rich people?
Sort of. I think it's more a system that allows and enables people to act in a way that's detrimental to the overall wider good, by design.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
As agreed, let's keep the politics elsewhere please @Gwadien
I don't think you can in this case @Jupitus. It's not a 'football' issue.

The football problem is just a manifestation of a wider problem. If people want to focus on football alone then they're making a mistake. The politics issue is relevant to the football thread - because it's the only route to really actually fix the football issue properly.

No man is an island etc. etc. etc.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think you can in this case @Jupitus. It's not a 'football' issue.

The football problem is just a manifestation of a wider problem. If people want to focus on football alone then they're making a mistake. The politics issue is relevant to the football thread - because it's the only route to really actually fix the football issue properly.

No man is an island etc. etc. etc.

I am not saying I disagree with that, but I think this should remain as a football thread, and those kind of comments end up spinning off viciously into multiple long-winded chains of unrelated materials. By all means, bring up the football situation as an angle in a politics thread, or indeed create a new thread about the politics of football and its implications as a possible influence on many generations over the years.... thanks!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This'll be my last post on it @Jupitus, promise - but what you're saying there is if you want to discuss why football is in such dire straights and understand football's ills and the methods to fix football then you have to talk about it in a "not football" thread because it's upsetting people who actively want to pointlessly shout at the wind.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
This'll be my last post on it @Jupitus, promise - but what you're saying there is if you want to discuss why football is in such dire straights and understand football's ills and the methods to fix football then you have to talk about it in a "not football" thread because it's upsetting people who actively want to pointlessly shout at the wind.

I mean that posts which are directly about football clubs, people governors and actions taken or comments made then this is definitely the place. Posts which talk about parallels outside of football may tend to tangent, so I would prefer they are avoided. I hope that explains and closes this particular line of discussion. Thanks all.....

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
He's got experience working at a small team now, so he might do OK at Roma, as they look a bit of a shambles atm.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
How the fuck does he do it?! He must have a pocket mind control device or something.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
How the fuck does he do it?! He must have a pocket mind control device or something.

I vaguely remember that Roma have been turned down by quite a few managers over the last number of years. I always get the impression the boardroom is a bit of a battlefield.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
He's got experience working at a small team now, so he might do OK at Roma, as they look a bit of a shambles atm.
First of all, ouch.

Secondly, I'm all for this as it means we'll only have to pay him £3m to get rid instead of anything from £16m to £30m depending on what different reports said he would be due if he hadn't taken another job for the duration of his garden leave period.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I believe England goes top on the association coefficients table.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's nothing new. It's what the premier league is about.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Chelsea may end up regretting this week's misses like they did last week.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Chelsea may end up regretting this week's misses like they did last week.

Nah. Madrid were shite all night.

Another all English final. If Arsenal can turn it round against Villarreal then that will be 4 English "ESL" clubs in the finals which is slightly sickening.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Agreeing with the first bit - Real Madrid were piss poor.

Obviously as a fan of one of the top clubs in European football, I can't agree with the second bit.

Also, it looks like you were right about Vestergaard's red. If only there was some way they could make a correct decision during the match. Some sort of review system with the assistance of video perhaps.

View: https://twitter.com/southamptonfc/status/1389943176941690881?s=21

gmloki

Part of the furniture
So with an all English Champions League Final and the potential of an all English Europa League final, where's the good money on who plays in the Super Cup. An all Manchester game, All London Game or what ?

Madrid were bang average tonight, not taking anything from Chelsea, good age for a squad that and a great mix of youth and experience.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I can't see anyone but City winning it at this point.

Real just weren't good enough, PSG just weren't good enough, it is what it is.

Oil money beats oil money...I guess.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So with an all English Champions League Final and the potential of an all English Europa League final, where's the good money on who plays in the Super Cup. An all Manchester game, All London Game or what ?

Madrid were bang average tonight, not taking anything from Chelsea, good age for a squad that and a great mix of youth and experience.
Surely then the ESL is the prem?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Obviously as a fan of one of the top clubs in European football, I can't agree with the second bit.

Trouble is, the reason it came about in the first place is Perez and others worrying about falling behind the English teams because of the money in English football. This just proves the point, and fans of "the big 6" will just carrying on acting like everything is OK, whilst clamour for a super league grows in Europe.

Also, it looks like you were right about Vestergaard's red. If only there was some way they could make a correct decision during the match. Some sort of review system with the assistance of video perhaps.

View: https://twitter.com/southamptonfc/status/1389943176941690881?s=21

It's a joke. VAR could be so good, but the level of incompetence of referees has hamstrung it completely.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's a joke. VAR could be so good, but the level of incompetence of referees has hamstrung it completely.
Yeah. It's definitely not a whole host of fundamental problems with using video to judge subjective decisions.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Trouble is, the reason it came about in the first place is Perez and others worrying about falling behind the English teams because of the money in English football. This just proves the point, and fans of "the big 6" will just carrying on acting like everything is OK, whilst clamour for a super league grows in Europe.

Nah, the fact that RM and Barca used to leech all the money out of Spanish football through their own independent TV deals and now they can't; the fact that the Madrid Council used to regularly write off their taxes and now they can't, the fact that the sports players tax exemption has been stamped out by the EU, are all reasons why RM profitability has been hit; its not the English teams having more, its RM and Barca being forced to behave that's fucked them up. Pères and pals would like to return to the good old days of lack of accountability.

Besides, its not like we haven't been here before with English dominance, it doesn't last.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Balbuena got a straight red for this - a follow-through which caught Chilwell. The ref was told he needed to go and look at the monitor:

Fleck didn't get sent off for this (not even a yellow but I know VAR can't give yellows) - a glance down and then a totally avoidable stamp to the head. The ref was not instructed to go and look at the monitor:

I was watching it and, as they showed the first replay I thought "right, they're down to 10 and they're shit anyway, cricket score incoming". It didn't even cross my mind that they wouldn't send him off.

Same VAR official (Peter Banks) in both cases. They're a shower of shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom