Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Also, good to see pathetic gamesmanship on its arse in the mud.

Gray

FH is my second home
That is why Holgate needs to fuck off out the first team.

Thank God for DCL

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's all kicking off at Old Trafford. They aren't going to forget this Super League pish any time soon.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I also hope UTD get a hefty police fine. Not that it will make a lot of difference to their bottom line.

Dock them 3 points if the game doesn't go ahead too.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It's all kicking off at Old Trafford. They aren't going to forget this Super League pish any time soon.
All 200 of them! Not sure it'll make a blind bit of difference out of 100s of millions of worldwide fans.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't think it's fair of the Spurs squad to tell Dele Alli that it was a Pirates of the Caribbean fancy dress game.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sat here with a LFC season ticket holder of 50 years.

"Good on 'em".

We both class this as "peaceful protest" - because nobody is getting hurt. He's a lawyer (was, until he retired - a very succesful one).

This is how protest is done tbfh. And @Aoami's vid above shows you what you're actually fighting against.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Small font "business as usual" headline on the BBC.

Anything but business as usual.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Sadly I doubt this will make less then one jot of difference to the Glazers. They are in an enviable position of paying literally nothing for the club themselves (leveraged debt) and the value is now so high there is very few individuals who could afford the club unless you go down the route of Saudi / Russian ownership.

This is a money printing service for the Glazers while the stadium goes to ruin. The training facilities are not worthy of a top four club. Some of the nonsense being spouted on TalkShite this morning from Jim White and Danny Murphy really did lower their already low bar.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Thought the MOTD interview with the Man Utd Fanzine editor was a bit odd. I get the whole debt issue when they leveraged the buy but it's not like they have not spent money on the team. Seat prices not increased in 7 (? think that what they said). There were some protest placards regards state of the ground but have not seen anything on that. When you look at the net spend, it was not far off 800M when they pointed that out he just retorted that it was nowhere near what City have spent! Kinda diluted the point for me. Protest the owners fine, especially regards the ESL and finances but don't make it about not spending as much as the neighbours. Just reinforcing everything wrong with football.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Thought the MOTD interview with the Man Utd Fanzine editor was a bit odd. I get the whole debt issue when they leveraged the buy but it's not like they have not spent money on the team. Seat prices not increased in 7 (? think that what they said). There were some protest placards regards state of the ground but have not seen anything on that. When you look at the net spend, it was not far off 800M when they pointed that out he just retorted that it was nowhere near what City have spent! Kinda diluted the point for me. Protest the owners fine, especially regards the ESL and finances but don't make it about not spending as much as the neighbours. Just reinforcing everything wrong with football.

Said it before, i'll say it again. Fans of these big clubs want the £200m signings and the 500k a week wages, but don't want any of the stuff that comes with it. Can't have your cake and eat it.

gmloki

Part of the furniture

As a United fan I really couldn't give a shit about what City spend. Any club that want's to try and keep pace with a club being moneywashed by a country then crack on. It's a narrative being pushed by the media that this is about lack of success off the field and it really isn't. There has been peaceful protests for many years and worth noting the height of the last protests coincided with us winning three Premier Leagues and a Champions League.

The issue is the club was relatively debt free when the Glazers took over. They used the good will and equity in the name to leverage debt and buy the club. £460m ish. Not a single penny has been paid off this debt. When they took over, it was one of the best stadiums in Europe. Now it's got rust all over the outside, leaking roofs, poor viewing angles. If we are talking about football as a 'Product' or 'Experience' then going to Old Trafford is like going to a 20 year old cinema compared to a brand new IMAX. As a club we had the best in class training facilities where it was used by UEFA as reference facilities, for up coming coaches doing their UEFA lvl 2 and FIFA pro licenses. Now it's just average facilities with very little investment

Buy Ronaldo for £12m, Sell him for £80m and what do we get in return, a half crocked Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia !!!

Watch interviews with the Glazers out in the Middle East Last year and they talk up noodle deals, Instagram likes and official bog roll sponsors and when pushed on football, they have no clue. Look at the stubbornness of not hiring a proper football person to at least influence transfers along side Woodward. Classic Example of the 'Free Swap' of Sanchez and Mikhytaryian. The Whole Sanchez deal from Arsenal to Utd to Inter cost the club upwards of £150m with the hidden fee's of agents, exit fee's paying 90% of his wages while he wasn't kicking a ball for us. At least some of that money could have gone back into Facilities, Old Trafford.

The Irony of it is that they did get the right people at the top to make better decisions, the whole situation would have been better on the pitch and off it. Ultimately making them even more money.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The problem is the disconnect between much of Premier League football and the rest of football. You're talking of wasting 150m on a player/deal that didn't work out. That is probably more than the entire league 2 group of players combined and is certainly more than some other Premier League squads (Say Burnley).

It is what it is though, people want to see attractive football, and they don't necessarily need any sort of connection with the team or area, which attracts huge amounts of money from branding and so on.

The problem is, that a huge amount of money no longer filters down (if it ever did, realistically) it gets taken out of football.

On the flip side, it can be argued that the money wouldn't have existed in the first place and the reason UTD can just shrug off such a bad deal is the fact that they are a brand firstly, football club secondly and generate obscene amounts of money from branding.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
As a United fan I really couldn't give a shit about what City spend. Any club that want's to try and keep pace with a club being moneywashed by a country then crack on. It's a narrative being pushed by the media that this is about lack of success off the field and it really isn't. There has been peaceful protests for many years and worth noting the height of the last protests coincided with us winning three Premier Leagues and a Champions League.

The issue is the club was relatively debt free when the Glazers took over. They used the good will and equity in the name to leverage debt and buy the club. £460m ish. Not a single penny has been paid off this debt. When they took over, it was one of the best stadiums in Europe. Now it's got rust all over the outside, leaking roofs, poor viewing angles. If we are talking about football as a 'Product' or 'Experience' then going to Old Trafford is like going to a 20 year old cinema compared to a brand new IMAX. As a club we had the best in class training facilities where it was used by UEFA as reference facilities, for up coming coaches doing their UEFA lvl 2 and FIFA pro licenses. Now it's just average facilities with very little investment

Buy Ronaldo for £12m, Sell him for £80m and what do we get in return, a half crocked Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia !!!

Watch interviews with the Glazers out in the Middle East Last year and they talk up noodle deals, Instagram likes and official bog roll sponsors and when pushed on football, they have no clue. Look at the stubbornness of not hiring a proper football person to at least influence transfers along side Woodward. Classic Example of the 'Free Swap' of Sanchez and Mikhytaryian. The Whole Sanchez deal from Arsenal to Utd to Inter cost the club upwards of £150m with the hidden fee's of agents, exit fee's paying 90% of his wages while he wasn't kicking a ball for us. At least some of that money could have gone back into Facilities, Old Trafford.

The Irony of it is that they did get the right people at the top to make better decisions, the whole situation would have been better on the pitch and off it. Ultimately making them even more money.

I think as well as the leveraged debt, the thing that upsets people most about the Glazers is they clearly give zero shits about actual football (or any sport, as witnessed the carnage they've left behind in the US). Its almost like the nerds who got picked last for five a side getting revenge by wrecking the most famous name in football.

At least the arabs seem to actually like a game of footie.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
The problem is the disconnect between much of Premier League football and the rest of football. You're talking of wasting 150m on a player/deal that didn't work out. That is probably more than the entire league 2 group of players combined and is certainly more than some other Premier League squads (Say Burnley).

It is what it is though, people want to see attractive football, and they don't necessarily need any sort of connection with the team or area, which attracts huge amounts of money from branding and so on.

The problem is, that a huge amount of money no longer filters down (if it ever did, realistically) it gets taken out of football.

On the flip side, it can be argued that the money wouldn't have existed in the first place and the reason UTD can just shrug off such a bad deal is the fact that they are a brand firstly, football club secondly and generate obscene amounts of money from branding.

Agree on all that. As a related point, the money that is is awash at the very top level of the game really does not filter down. I spent around ten years in grassroots coaching and it is a landscape of wasted money and inflated ego's. Give you an example, the local FA refused to put any FA Level 2 accredited courses which would improve the standard of players at junior level. Forget academy level just junior football. The only way you can progress from very basic coaching is if you take two weeks paid leave from work, do it mid week and pay the princely sum to the local FA. No grants, no subsidies nothing, yet they rake it in on everything. If you don't pay or refuse to do the coaching to the beat of their drum then your club is at risk of losing Charter Standard status.

Then you look up the pyramid to teams like Bury who were effectively badly run and then allowed to go out of business. The impact is not just on the football players, it's on some of the old timers who have been selling programmes at Gig lane for 40 years. Some of the local businesses who's income was dependent on supplying catering to the club on match days, then of course the fans, who in the FA, PFA, Premier League gave a shit about them.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Agree on all that. As a related point, the money that is is awash at the very top level of the game really does not filter down.
Funny that people get all worked up about this when it comes to football - that fans kick off and invade stadia and tbh, people are OK with it.

But when it comes to the same affecting their day-to-day lives - the fact that trickle-down economics don't work anywhere - people in general seem to hate people who protest, especially if it "inconveniences" them ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not the point though is it. Leave the political snipes out of the football thread.
OK. I'll leave you in here, like the majority of football fans, totally oblivious to the actual problem.

If people aren't politically engaged over this point then their entire rage over football is pointless, wasted and, frankly, infantile.

Football is a business. You need to fix business - not football.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
OK. I'll leave you in here, like the majority of football fans, totally oblivious to the actual problem.

If people aren't politically engaged over this point then their entire rage over football is pointless, wasted and, frankly, infantile.

Football is a business. You need to fix business - not football.

Are you suggesting that many of the issues around the world boil down to rich people fucking over not so rich people?

Careful around these parts comrade, you'll be called a China loving commie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom