Football The 2011/2012 Season Thread

soze

I am a FH squatter
And how do you fit that into the rules? To fit them in you'd have to stop one or two teams being promoted at each level below. Who compensates those teams?
Increase the championship or Div 1 by two teams same 3 go up and down that way no one is cost a place and no one loses out.

Or introduce them into the playoffs they are already bullshit the fact a team with 30 points less gains promotion based on a cup tie is a joke anyway just add two more teams to the mix.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
knock the playoffs on the head for a year, they're only there to make money anyway

ileks

Part of the furniture
no way, the playoffs are the only hope the smaller teams in the league have of going up. I would stop going to matches if they got rid of them.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
If you want team numbers in each division to stay the same in the end, play with the number of relegation slots. Add the extra teams then flush the extra's out in 1 year or stagger it year by year.
Noone is denied promotion, and relegation is decided by your own lack of strenght.

soze

I am a FH squatter
no way, the playoffs are the only hope the smaller teams in the league have of going up. I would stop going to matches if they got rid of them.
The play offs are a money spinning joke. How can a team that finishes 30 points behind you in the league go up because you have 1 bad game. It is a farce the top 3 are the 3 best teams in the league they should go up.

ileks

Part of the furniture
You could say the exact same about the champions league positions. Since city and United are so far ahead of everyone else only they should qualify. How would you feel then as an Arsenal fan?

Swansea came up through the playoffs last year and play some of the best football in the league. Blackpool brought a bit of character to the prem a couple of years ago. I'm sure there are many other better examples.

The 30 point argument is also stupid. It's very possible that there are 0 points between 3rd and 4th place (see Swansea and Cardiff last year). The playoffs are a fairer option in a situation like that.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Your CL reference doesn't make a lot of sense. It would be like positions 1 and 2 going through, then 3, 4, 5 and 6 have to play each other to decide the other 2 places. That would mean a team in 6th could get into the CL by winning a couple of games despite finishing 2 places below 4th. It should be as it is - positions 1 to 4 get in the CL and it should be same in the League tbh. If you finish top 3, you go up.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
If they want in they should start at entry level. They will be getting promoted every year, the fans won't be seeing much worse opposition than they watch at the moment. Sure it will be a financial loss due to them not winning the league every year and getting into Europe. BUt it's the only fair thing for them to do!!

Genedril

Part of the furniture
If Celtic want in then they can get there the same way as everyone else - from the bottom.

Fans of just about every club that's not in the top flight would go nuts if they walked into the Prem. I'm sure many a non Prem club would say they deserved to be in the Prem at the expense of some other team that were up there based on fan base / history / the way they play / just because it's not fair.

I might accept Rangers and Celtic straight in the Prem if it meant that Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man U and Tottenham all went to the Conference.

{eidt} I mean accept as in 'on a personal level' not as in 'I am the arbiter of all things and you must do as I say'.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Playoffs are fucking shit. I say that as a fan of a lower league team. Id love it if they got rid and just the top 3 got promoted. If you finish 6th you dont deserve to go up.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The 30 point argument is also stupid. It's very possible that there are 0 points between 3rd and 4th place (see Swansea and Cardiff last year). The playoffs are a fairer option in a situation like that.
No it's not if Cardiff are above Swansea after a whole season then they are the better club its that simple. And the 30 point argument is not stupid as there is no rule that says there is only a play off if you finish on the same points. There could be a 100 point gap between 3rd and 6th and the team in 6th would still go up for playing better in a few games.

gohan

I am a FH squatter
you say that but stevenage went up through the league 1 playoffs in their first season and are currently 7th in league 1 and have hammered shef wed 5-1 and 2-1 beat charlton 2-0 beat sheff utd twice...... and are 2 points off a play off spot for a crack at the chapionship and 3rd succsessive promotion.

without the play off the leagues would mainly be decided in early jan/feb and the rest of the year no one would have anything to play for so it would be shit and boring

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Like the premier league? Also youre a liverpool 'fan'. Also, if Southampton finished 4th in the league and the playoffs didnt exist, i'd say 'well we werent good enough over the season'. Playoffs are a money spinner and absolutely nothing else.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I guess it depends entirely who you support. Southampton or WHU fans will naturally hate the playoffs. The smaller teams need them. Without them they have no chance of going up.

It's not like they flip a coin to decide it either. You get two matches to beat the team that finished in 6th place. If you bottle it that's your fault. You get to play them at home and away.

The 30 point thing is the absolute extreme case. The other extreme is that they all finish on the same points with similar goal difference. Surely some extra home and away game is there fair thing to do.

gohan

I am a FH squatter
more stevenage than Liverpool tbh, my dad's from Liverpool so I've always supported them but used to have season tickets for boro when they were in the conference for like 4years running before I moved to Southampton, then they got promoted twice in 2 years..... cunts

gohan

I am a FH squatter
Like the premier league? Also youre a liverpool 'fan'. Also, if Southampton finished 4th in the league and the playoffs didnt exist, i'd say 'well we werent good enough over the season'. Playoffs are a money spinner and absolutely nothing else.
also the prem does still have somthing to play for, 4 CL spots and 1-3 Europa, depending on allocation and who wins cups etc, so teams in 8th can still make a charge for europe

no play offs would be like top 3 get CL everyone else nothing, that would bget boring and shit quickly

gohan

I am a FH squatter
"We are thinking more about Liam than our triumphalism."

you can't just make words up :<

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I did actually look triumphalism up when I saw it. It's a word, however unlikely it might seem. :(

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
No mention of Soldado single handedly scoring three and taking down the team United couldn't beat?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
No mention of Soldado single handedly scoring three and taking down the team United couldn't beat?

I'm sure I watched somone crossing the ball for one of his goals :p Hardly single handed ;)

It was to be expected though, Bilbao were never going to play at the level they did against United, if there were capable of that they would be challenging to the division!

Everz

FH is my second home
427945_365812516792432_260216390685379_1111046_802410749_n.jpg

'not one of our own', just couldn't leave race out could be you 'pool ;)?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Just reading that a fan ran onto the pitch and helped save Muamba turns out the guy is a Consultant and the best heart hospital in London. I am not a religious guy but it really was in the stars for him to pull though this. #prayforfab

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's looking promising for Muamba! He is breathing independently no apparently. #notprayingbecauseitmakesnodifference

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom