Thanes

Cozak

Part of the furniture
remi said:
still cant melee down the grappled target, mmk?

Who needs to melee? Thane can just cast on it.. I was thinking more for a solo thane to use the CB stun charge then grapple, nuke etc.. thanes will still be a wasted space in groups after changes.

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
I've rolled about 7-9 BG1 thanes(lvl24), the 2 specs that cut the cake best is(in my humble opinion ;] ):
23sc(best nuke)
18weapon(ok dmg, 1or2hander possible to use, hammer really the best at that low lvl)
15shield(nice defence, especially vs archers)
6parry(shield/block rate is cut in half vs a dualwielder, parry ain't, it remain the same, important with the extra overall defence, especially vs dualwielder)

or

23sc(best nuke)
15weapon(ok dmg, 1or2hander possible to use, hammer really the best at that low lvl)
18shield(5 seconds stun of block, nice defence, especially vs archers)
6parry(shield/block rate is cut in half vs a dualwielder, parry ain't, it remain the same, important with the extra overall defence, especially vs dualwielder)

Both specs is greatly enhanced by +5 to weapon, shield and parry.

lvl 50 specs:
Until the thane-love patch hit us, it's this one that is the most allround and give most utility and damage to both melee and casting:
48sc
42shield
39weapon
15parry

After love patch this is what would be best(might change since all changes/boosting ain't done as of yet):

50sc (get use of all the boosting to the sc line and the 600-700 insta dmg (1000 range, uninterruptble, 10 sec disarming/re-use)
50hammer (uber style at lvl 50, second in a chain that goes off, of parry, 500-700 dmg hit with 2-hander)
27parry (really needed for the defence and to get off the lvl 50 hammer style)
10shield (engage vs archer ot melee, almost 100% protecting vs one singel enemy(from melee/arrows anyway).
(Probably this spec for my low rr troll thane)

Or
50sc(same reasons as above spec)
42shield (good defence and 9 seconds anytime stun)
39hammer(nice dd proc on the 39hammer style Lambast)
6parry(same reason as in the spec above, even though it's less effective).
(Probably this spec for my rr8Lx frost thane)

IF unsure of what race to get, get norseman.

Although to maximize:
-"best" spell dmg, ok melee dmg, not so good hitpoints go frosty
-"best" melee dmg, ok casting dmg, ok hitpoints go troll
-good melee dmg and casting dmg, ok hitpoints go norseman
-good casting dmg and ok melee dmg, good hitpoints go dworf

I'd say that the playing style could be one thing to base the choice of race on :)

Since all thanes(no matter race) lack in piety, power/mana pool they need 10pts into piety at creation.
10pts into dex to enhance the castingspeed, the parry and shield defence(all thanes need this as well).
The last 10 pts should (my thinking) enhance whatever race you choose to pick for your thane.

So last10 points goes into 10str for troll... into 10con for dworf... into 5str and 5con for norse... into 10str for frosty(the other 20 pts already enhanced the "casting side", so extra str for extra melee dmg).

Now good luck ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom