Test The Nation

C

.Cask

I got 70.

But then I answered B for every question which classifies me as, 'Not stupid enough to waste time on an internet IQ test.'

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by evilmonkeh
hmm
i got a B in eng lang (well pleased)
but c in lit. its cos you can ramble on about anything in lang but hav eto stick to the truth in lit

I actually got the same in my 'o' levels... Language is pretty easy if you have a decent understanding, but literature you need to have studied the course materials and remember the details on all the characters etc etc etc. I read Great Expectations twice the weekend before the exam and scraped a pass... I was very ahppy, and still rate that C as my best result (even if it appears to be my worst :p)

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by .Cask
I got 70.

But then I answered B for every question which classifies me as, 'Not stupid enough to waste time on an internet IQ test.'

My A-level chemistry teacher told me once that in a multiple choice exam, if you measure the physical length of the available answers and choose the longest one each time you'd actually do pretty well :D

T

Teh Krypt

Well the exams in England ARE getting easier imo.

But... I do tend to compare myself to my classmates, now theres 6 sets in my year at school. A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, B4.

Im in A2, most of the class got C's or D's two got F's.
Two people in the class got B, I was one.
Now... English isnt my great subject but its very easy to look and do well at English becuase you don't have to show off your bad side. I stick with words I can spell well. Its easy to come up with these words as each meaning has several words to go with it.

Also, I type a LOT LOT faster then I write, so writing gives me a lot more time to think about the words im writing, where as when I type the words come straight out of my brain and my fingers start wearing away at the keys. Its also a forum, a place where people meet online, I really don't care if I spell something wrong here, its not a test, someone isnt going to judge me on it for a job I may apply to...

I also think that playing online games and generaly being on the BW forums makes me better at English. I used to do really well with storys in primary school, I enjoyed writing them but I never had much description or feelings, or emotion, it was just ideas. In year 8 (3 years ago) I wrote my longest story yet, it wa sin high school and we had no choice :p. Its only miner compared with most storys, but it was 20 A4 pages long which is a personal best. I used a lot of description and I was quite imaginative because of the games I had played.

Anyway Ive sort of staggerd off my subject and prolly posted my longest ever post on Barrysworld...
:eek:

C

.Cask

Your chemistry teacher sniffed too much trichloromethane.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by .Cask
Your chemistry teacher sniffed too much trichloromethane.

... he also bore a striking resemblance to Barney Rubble....:D

S

SoWat!

Well my test result was 128... though I'm sure they make it harder for us old 'uns. ;)

Was dire on the jigsaw section.

EDIT: Was 128 not 118!

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by SoWat!
Was dire on the jigsaw section.

Hint: don't try and find the place for all the pieces... you will have 2 pieces which by definition (i.e. they are top left, or top right etc) must go in the same place... focus on those and eliminate the wrong one.

S

SoWat!

I mean I got it completely wrong, I was looking for pieces to fit in the part that was already done (does that make me creative?).

J

Jupitus

Hehe no... it makes you someone who didn't read the question right :p

T

Teh Krypt

So SoWat! has a higher IQ then me by two. :)

They make it easier for older people btw..

S

SoWat!

Actually it should read 128

Where's the section that states they make it easier for an age range?

J

Jupitus

Krypt knows how to back up what he says with factual evidence, I gather.....

<waits>

G

Gekul

Originally posted by evilmonkeh
but tehre has allready been one test the nation this year!!!

he's right you know.

The trial is the new part of the site and it looks like Jupitus and missus are right about the general knowledge focus on this one. Unfortunatly I don't know the queens birthday, does that make me thick?

G

Gekul

If it starts off with "There is no smoke without fire" example question, it is the one they did earlier this year. They just have a trial for tonights test at the moment.

T

Teh Krypt

Yes so at 7:30 you can all do the 2003 test :p

J

Jupitus

Does my "Quiz Quotient" depend on my age?
Like IQ, the Quiz Quotient was developed to allow you to compare your scores with other people of the same age. Some items will vary in difficulty depending on how old you are. For example, it is probable that very few of the old participants know much about the workings of modern technology, and so would not know what "CPU" stands for, whereas almost every teenager will know the answer. Likewise the young groups may not know what the abbreviation 'cwt' stands for - whereas older people will. Middle-aged people may well know both!

We know from the data we obtained when developing the Quiz that people aged between 30 and 60 do best on this Quiz, whilst the very young and very old do worst. For example, most 50-year-olds will score above 42/70 on the test, whereas only a very knowledgeable 16-year-old will score more than 42/70. The Quiz Quotient corrects for all of these age-related differences - it allows you to compare yourself against people of the same age group. Anyone who complains that 'no-one my age could possibly know this answer to such-and-such an item' should therefore realise that the Quiz Quotient has already taken this into account.

Well.. rather than making the test easier for the older folks, what this means is that everyone does the same test and they factor in age to the overall results. People in the middle age brackets seem to be expected to know more of the answers (though I don't know what 'cwt' stands for ;)) so I would guess our scores are nerfed while young and old age brackets get a bit of a score buff.

I don't really think that's the same as...

Originally posted by Teh Krypt
They make it easier for older people btw..

... do you?

T

Teh Krypt

Getting extra points is easier, no?

Only 80+ can get over a certain amount Vidx was telling me also..

S

SoWat!

It doesn't say that older people (middle-aged ones anyway) get extra points, only that they do better... big difference.

The way they explain it suggests that if a person is in an older age range, then not knowing what a cpu is might cost them 1 point. Not knowing what 'cwt' means might cost them 3 points (hypothetical point weighting on my part). For a younger age range the reverse would be true.

For a person in the middle-age range <cough> Jupitus, me <cough> they would lose, say, 2 points, as they would be expected to know both.

So it all evens out in the end, irrespective of age.

btw Jupitus, cwt means 'hundredweight' as in "Dear Coal man, please leave 2cwt of your finest Nutty Slack this week" :cool:

who is vidx? Is he over 80? :cool:

D

doh_boy

116 :) pretty much what I was expecting.

The break-down is kinda fun :D

Language - 11/12 (I got a d in both engish gcse's and re-took lang and got a d then took it AGAIN and got a c).

Numbers - 6/12 Got a B for maths :) Also got a D for maths a-level and physics a-level which sorta proves that I fluked the gcse.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by SoWat
It doesn't say that older people (middle-aged ones anyway) get extra points, only that they do better... big difference.

The way they explain it suggests that if a person is in an older age range, then not knowing what a cpu is might cost them 1 point. Not knowing what 'cwt' means might cost them 3 points (hypothetical point weighting on my part). For a younger age range the reverse would be true.

For a person in the middle-age range <cough> Jupitus, me <cough> they would lose, say, 2 points, as they would be expected to know both.

So it all evens out in the end, irrespective of age.

btw Jupitus, cwt means 'hundredweight' as in "Dear Coal man, please leave 2cwt of your finest Nutty Slack this week" :cool:

who is vidx? Is he over 80? :cool:

ahhh yes, hundred weight :)

Vidx is 1856 years old, for your information. ;)

S

SoWat

For anyone younger than 80, here's the definition of a hundredweight:
Code:
hun·dred·weight    
n. pl. hundredweight or hun·dred·weights Abbr. cwt 
A unit of weight in the British Imperial System equal to 112 pounds (50.80 kilograms). Also called quintal

T

Teh Krypt

Well according to the TV program and him, you can ONLY get a certain score if you are over 80 and its impossible to get that high score at lower ages..

S

SoWat

If the weighting is accurate, then every age range should be able to reach the same score.

I'd be interested to read the source of the information regarding the over 80s though.

T

Teh Krypt

Starts in 1 hour. Hopefully they will open the 2003 test on the website then too

T

Teh Krypt

Originally posted by SoWat
If the weighting is accurate, then every age range should be able to reach the same score.

I'd be interested to read the source of the information regarding the over 80s though.

Well this is Vidx's score.. some old man phoned in and had got higher then that because he went in the 80+ age...

messedup.jpg

S

Sar

This is a general knowledge test, the TTN IQ test was already done for this year,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom