Tablets

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My son's Hudl 2 is getting a bit long in the tooth. However I don't really want to spoil him by getting an iPad. What's a decent tablet for a 'decent' price these days?

Preferably with 32GB+. Having an SD Slot does not stop them getting filled up by games :/

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
My wife has a samsung newer tab S with a sd card. I think most tablets outside apple come with 16 gb as standard plus sd card.

Hudl 2 seems to be shit from what i see and tesco not making a 3

Vae

Resident Freddy
My biggest issues with the Hudl 2 is the battery life (seems to be about ~3 hours when my son uses it) and also the storage size. Plus there seems to be a bug (possibly with the Channel 4 app) that slowly consumes all storage and there's no way to fix it!

If I was looking now I'd be seriously considering the Kindle Fire - specifically the Kids Fire edition although they only come with 8Gb (7") or 8/16Gb (6" HD) which just isn't enough as many apps won't install to SD card.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My biggest issues with the Hudl 2 is the battery life (seems to be about ~3 hours when my son uses it) and also the storage size. Plus there seems to be a bug (possibly with the Channel 4 app) that slowly consumes all storage and there's no way to fix it!

If I was looking now I'd be seriously considering the Kindle Fire - specifically the Kids Fire edition although they only come with 8Gb (7") or 8/16Gb (6" HD) which just isn't enough as many apps won't install to SD card.
Hence I want 32GB :/

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I've just got a Lenovo Yoga tablet 2. It's a bit of an odd shape due to it's big battery, but the upside is that it lasts well. It's a full HD screen and no more but I think it's enough for what I need. It was £200 from Amazon. It's loads better than my old Nexus 7 which had slowed to the point of being unusable despite resets etc.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Slightly worried that it's Atom rather ARM based. My son wanted to play Angry Birds Transformers which doesn't seem to work on x86.

Unlikely to get Marshmallow too.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
In the interest of research I just downloaded Angry Birds Transformers. It's not the smoothest thing in the world but it plays fine.

I think you're right about marshmallow though, it came with 4.4 or something similar but instantly upgraded to 5.

backdoor

Regular Freddie
Treat him to the new Ipad Pro, he will be the envy of all his mates
With 5.6 million pixels, iPad Pro features the highest-resolution Retina display of any iOS device. The 12.9-inch screen makes everything you do easier!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I bought an Asus Zenpad S8
2K screen
8 inches
64GB on board memory
SD slot for 128 more
4GB Ram
Its blindingly fast
The screen is brilliant
8mp front 5 rear
£250 or there abouts
Android 5

The only downside is the bundled Asus bloatware which you can remove with root

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Treat him to the new Ipad Pro, he will be the envy of all his mates
With 5.6 million pixels, iPad Pro features the highest-resolution Retina display of any iOS device. The 12.9-inch screen makes everything you do easier!
Sounds like you've been reading too many fucking apple adverts.

All Apple Products = Ridiculously Overpriced.

soze

I am a FH squatter
All Apple Products = Ridiculously Overpriced.
That is not always true any more. Other Flagship phones are charging the same. The s6 was £599 on release and the 6s Plus was £619. There is not the massive premium there was. Yes it is still Apple and yes they are still making a fortune but so are Samsung.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
so are Samsung.
That's why I don't buy Samsung any more. The "flagship" shite just ain't worth it. You can get precicely the same (or better) for much less.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Speaking of tablets....I've been gifted an old Samsung blah-blah Pro Android tablet to play around with. It's Android 4.4 and not rooted. It does the internets and stuff like mail quite well, and I have installed an SSH app on it so I can talk to servers if I need to. Anyone got tips for software? I'm interested in good notepad stuff, UML modelers, programming stuff (in the cloud), but also a movie and music player.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Mx player pro is the only movie player app on Android you need. All the others forget.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
2K screen
8 inches
64GB on board memory
SD slot for 128 more
4GB Ram
Its blindingly fast
The screen is brilliant
8mp front 5 rear
£250 or there abouts
Android 5

Ordered this now. Ta :)

Might need a case... :/

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I got a lovely padded zip pouch case from pc world for mine

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...shion-8-tablet-sleeve-black-10119525-pdt.html

u_10119525.jpg

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Xiaomi have put out some killer specs for the mi pad 2 today.

- Intel Atom processor (14nm process), Quad-core X5-Z8500, 2.24GHz
- 2GB dual-channel LPDDR3 RAM, 16/64GB internal storage
- Full metal body, in dark grey and champagne gold
- 7.9-inch IPS display, 2048 x 1536 resolution, 326PPI
- 6190mAh battery, 5V/2A fast charging
- 8MP rear camera (f/2.0), 1080p video recording, 5MP front camera 75° wide-angle
- 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1
- USB Type-C port

Not sure on pricing but should be < £150.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
2K screen
8 inches
64GB on board memory
SD slot for 128 more
4GB Ram
Its blindingly fast
The screen is brilliant
8mp front 5 rear
£250 or there abouts
Android 5

My son has now had this since Xmas day but the bloatware is annoying the fuck out of me. Which guide did you follow to de-bollocks it? :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
My son has now had this since Xmas day but the bloatware is annoying the fuck out of me. Which guide did you follow to de-bollocks it? :)

I haven't yet. Waiting until I get a new laptop first.

The Zenpad is a decent enough tablet, but I still prefer my old Nexus 7 if I'm honest. Yes its slower and has a lower res screen, the camera sucks, and it has no expandable memory... but the N7 is easier to hold in the hand, feels better and sturdier, it's rooted, and I don't have to update any of my apps.

(That's the one thing I hate about Android. The apps generally suck and every update typically makes the app worse)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Do you guys have a suggestion towards a decent pad which does internet, movies and such, that has the internets (3g/4g?) and some storage? Also, does some pads have hdmi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom