Student discount

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
My friend (no really) is still running his computer on Windows 98; he wants to get XP but he's a real tight arse. He now has a student card and would like to know if there is a way he can get a student discount anywhere to buy Windows XP... I told him that I don't think so, but I may well be wrong?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
With the greatest respect, please ignore TheJkWhoSaysNi's suggest :rolleyes:

As to your question, Microsoft offer student licenses for a range of their products, although having just had a quick gander I'm not sure if XP is one of them. But anyway, you can still get XP Home (OEM) as an upgrade for Windows 98 for £66.47, which isn't bad.

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
That doesn't sound so bad if he can find the same thing at a local store (PC World or some such) as he doesn't have a credit card to buy stuff over the net.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
If he buys XP in store he'll sadly be paying much more, say around £90'ish. The reason the above is so cheap is because a) it's online b) it's an OEM copy (no box or manual included). If he can, I'd advise asking someone to purchase it online for him and then sorting out the money later.

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Ah, okay then; if Smiley is reading this I think Goblin might be able to help you out there. :)

Will

/bin/su
This is the bit where I mention all the wonderful free operating systems you can get. And I don't mean a Devil's Own copy of XP either.

I'd post links, but you already know I mean BSD or Linux.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
With the greatest respect, please ignore TheJkWhoSaysNi's suggest :rolleyes:

As to your question, Microsoft offer student licenses for a range of their products, although having just had a quick gander I'm not sure if XP is one of them. But anyway, you can still get XP Home (OEM) as an upgrade for Windows 98 for £66.47, which isn't bad.

Kind Regards

Jonty, you didnt ask thejkwhosaysni how he got it for free. My university is a member of some microsoft licensing scheme which means I can get any microsoft software (exckuding the office suite) for absolutly free, with an absolutly legal cd key.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi RandomBastard

Yes, I know of those schemes, and of MSDN subscriptions, but somehow I felt that wasn't what he was referring too. Perhaps I'm getting too synical, if so, I apologise.

Kind Regards

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
I was just browsing around for a copy of MS XP Home and noticed this little notice on this site.

Due to licensing laws if an order is placed for Windows Operating System OEM software, a non-peripheral hardware item must be purchased on the same order to comply with Microsoft licensing laws. Examples of such hardware can be found below in the related items category.

I never knew that :confused:

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Stimpy said:
I was just browsing around for a copy of MS XP Home and noticed this little notice on this site.

Due to licensing laws if an order is placed for Windows Operating System OEM software, a non-peripheral hardware item must be purchased on the same order to comply with Microsoft licensing laws. Examples of such hardware can be found below in the related items category.

I never knew that :confused:
Neither did I :) I wouldn't worry too much, though. At last count Microsoft's EULAs are around 1,600 words long, and I dare say you sign your life away many times over without ever knowing. For what it's worth, I've never had any trouble in purchasing OEM software without hardware.

Kind Regards

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Having to purchase hardware with OEM is fairly standard, most retailers have done it for a while - or introduced it recently. I wonder if MS are doing the rounds with it.

However, as an example, with MicroDirect in Manchester you can buy any hardware - e.g. something you want like an Optical Mouse, or something inexplicably cheap, like a Genus keyboard. It's no biggie :)

mookie

One of Freddy's beloved
PC World do their own Student discount scheme, standard 10% off but you need to get and fill out one of their discout cards, you just cant get it on your NUS card.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
RandomBastard said:
Jonty, you didnt ask thejkwhosaysni how he got it for free. My university is a member of some microsoft licensing scheme which means I can get any microsoft software (exckuding the office suite) for absolutly free, with an absolutly legal cd key.

90% of people are students and get it free legally?! wow.....

come on, who are you trying to josh ;)

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
mookie said:
PC World do their own Student discount scheme, standard 10% off but you need to get and fill out one of their discout cards, you just cant get it on your NUS card.
You may need to be aware that Microsoft products may be exempt from in store discount schemes.
When I bought my XP upgrade (about a week into release, God that was a long time ago..) I had to pay the full £90 (for Home edition) because it couldn't be included in the discount scheme. From what I could gather, if it needed to be returned, I had to take it direct to Microsoft as again, it fell under some exemption due to its licensing.

-- No idea why, though.

W

Willott

Hi, there are a couple of possibilities:
1) If your University is a member of MSDN E-Academy, you can get microsoft software through that, you may need to check with IT services or school of computing (something in that region)

2) Pugh computers supply Microsoft's student Select licence. Just one form to fill in and copy of student ID and you can get a number of pieces of software, check http://www.pugh.co.uk/studentsandstaff/studentselect.htm for more details

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Pro]v[etheus said:
You do not need to buy any hardware from them to purchase the OS.
To satisfy the terms of the OEM license they're selling it to you under they're meant to ;)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
TheJkWhoSaysNi said:
You could just be like 90% of people and get it for free.
Read the CoC...

Warez = bad

recommending someone warez something = breach of CoC

breach of CoC = Ban.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
RandomBastard said:
Jonties cynicism isn't a factor here, thejkwhosaysni clearly said "be like 90% of people and get it for free" and can only really be referring to the rather prolific piracy of operating systems which is rife in the online community. I support his comments and think it's pretty clear his judgement was spot on.

On another note, for those out there that think warezing of their OSes is the way to go, Service Pack One won't install on a known warezed OS key, and thanks to the changes in the EULA introduced in September, Windows Update can now disable patching and service packing of warezed OS licenses directly. Service Pack 2 will de-activate any OS installs using an illegally acquired license key, locking the user at the logon screen until they provide a compatible key and activate with MS online, and all future revisions of DirectX are planned to be tied to the activation and legitimate key schemes, which means if you're using a hooky license, not only could you lose data, but you won't be able to install DirectX revs so as to play *any* new directx based games until you do the decent thing and buy the software you'd worked so hard previously to steal.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Can I just mention that OEM versions of Windows XP are not "upgrades", as OEMs are supposed to come with new machines only, think about it :)

I got my Windows XP Pro OEM with a £15 modem card, I doubt you can go any lower, but why not think about some cheap piece of hardware you are going to need anyway ?

Finally, although I suspect the OEM version can perform an upgrade from 98 anyway, if you are going to do a fresh re-install why not buy a new HDD and be safe about it, that would satisfy the OEM agreement too, and you can make sure you don't lose stuff, the last HDD I got was a 40Gb for around £35.

Okay I know XP + HDD comes to about £100, but then I personally think that's worth it (and I'm a BSD geek like Will is).

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
and of MSDN subscriptions

The problem with MSDN is you have to keep up the subscription to make the keys legal, the cheapest is called an "Action Pack" for around £200/year, that one has got around 10 licenses for _each_ OS !

You can probably get a geek buddy who is likely to keep up their subscription to give you one of the licence keys :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
When did that change? We've got an MSDN universal subscription and we're only allowed a single live install of XP. In fact I'm pretty sure that's not 10 concurrent licenses Xane, it's 10 total activations.

If it has changed that's quite newsworthy, so I'm going to hit the spods at Microsoft today for a bit of clarification.

Xav

edit:// it IS 10 activations, not 10 licenses. 10 licenses would mean you get 10 keys, but you don't. Only one.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
from http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/faq/default.asp

When a subscription expires, do the licenses terminate or are they still valid?
MSDN Subscriptions have a perpetual license, so subscribers can still use the products received with their MSDN Subscription after their subscription has expired.

There are multiple products in the subscription. Can I give some of them to another end user?

Everyone who uses products within MSDN Subscriptions must have an MSDN Subscriptions license. The contents of MSDN Subscriptions cannot be shared with non-subscribers.

May I use MSDN Subscriptions software to install software for day-to-day (production) use?

No, but with one exception. Software in your MSDN Subscription comes with a development, test, and demonstration license. Examples of prohibited use include:
  • You may not install Exchange Server from your MSDN Universal Subscription and use it to send and receive personal or business-related e-mail.
  • You may not install Windows NT Server and use it to host your own personal or business Web site.
  • The one exception is that the MSDN Universal Subscription comes with one license to use Microsoft Office for general business use. Again, only persons with an MSDN Universal Subscription license can use the Microsoft Office software in this manner.
What do you mean by "production?" What are examples of test and development work?

By "production" we mean any activity that is personal, for general business use, or not directly related to the testing and development of software applications.

Examples of (prohibited) production use include:
  • Installing Windows 98 to play games for entertainment.
  • Installing Windows 2000 Server and Exchange Server to set up an e-mail system that you use to send personal and/or business-related e-mail.
You may not use your MSDN Subscription as a substitute for purchasing a retail license for an operating system if you do more than develop and test on your computer.

At TN we use our OS licenses for the test machines, all of the other systems have standard license certificates.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
edit:// it IS 10 activations, not 10 licenses. 10 licenses would mean you get 10 keys, but you don't. Only one.

The "Action Pack" is 5 licences with 2 activations each, per desktop product.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Do you have a linky? I can't find anything apart from the Microsoft Partners site, and that seems only applicable for resellers and companies, rather than home/personal users, which would again contravene licensing.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
xane said:
Can I just mention that OEM versions of Windows XP are not "upgrades", as OEMs are supposed to come with new machines only, think about it :)

I got my Windows XP Pro OEM with a £15 modem card, I doubt you can go any lower, but why not think about some cheap piece of hardware you are going to need anyway ?

Finally, although I suspect the OEM version can perform an upgrade from 98 anyway, if you are going to do a fresh re-install why not buy a new HDD and be safe about it, that would satisfy the OEM agreement too, and you can make sure you don't lose stuff, the last HDD I got was a 40Gb for around £35.

Okay I know XP + HDD comes to about £100, but then I personally think that's worth it (and I'm a BSD geek like Will is).
He already bought a new hard drive at Christmas as I suggested he should, that's what I always do when I buy a new operating system so I don't lose anything, so it's sitting there all empty waiting for new input. :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
In that case I'll refer to where I got mine.

Here at Tekheads is Windows XP Home OEM for £65.21 including VAT, and they specify:

Please note: to qualify for the OEM edition of windows, hardware must be purchased at the same time. This must be at least a network card/soundcard or any other hardware that invokes a hardware change or reinstall of Windows!

Phone them up and and ask if their £5 LAN/Modem cards will qualify ?

Smiley

Fledgling Freddie
Think i'll just buy windows xp from pc world, but thanks for all the advice. About getting it for nothing, DOES NOT, WON'T WORK. No big deal or anything... :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom