Strange Winds on Avalon Isle

Aeatan

Fledgling Freddie
Strange Winds on Avalon Isle [2004-11-08]
Some strange winds are blowing on Avalon Isle in Albion. Scholars in the realm are very concerend about its origin and suspect it could be a powerful magical spell. The call may soon go out to the bravest heroes of Albion to find out where it comes from.

:clap:

Or did I miss the event and was it yesterday? *points at the date*

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The GMs like to do these events on Thursdays I think.... so it might be tonight oO

Would like to see announcements of upcoming events on these forums though. Most players read FH instead of the GOA news page and they'd get a better turn up! ;)

Aeatan

Fledgling Freddie
Aye, true.. but.. I think that now that we know that events will be announced on wednesday, some people will check the site and post on FH if there'll be an event.

Does anyone know if they start at a set time?

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Events aren't always announced in advance. In the case of a recent Mid event for example, the event was based around a surprise attack so the first players knew about it was waves of killspam from a local town.
To give as many players as possible the chance to attend we usually start between 7-8pm BST, but this depends on the expected length of the event.
In general they are on Thursdays and two weeks apart, rotating through the realms in order, so each realm gets an event every 6 weeks. This pattern is occasionally broken though depending on circumstances.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lovbed the P.Legion birthday event that was a cracking time, still got me cake ^^
hope all who do the event have fun

More Piglet Herding tbh!!!!!

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Right, time to dust off the roleplaying skills.... as soon as the evil golestantd has been punished once more for crimes against Albion (His punishment starts at 19:00) I will with best endevor bring Tears to scout the area in search of these winds.

Aeatan

Fledgling Freddie
I heard from a GM that the event will start from 7:30 to 10/11 PM, BST (British Summer Time).

I have no idea what time that is here in Holland (GMT+1), so I assume 20:30 (GMT+1, ECT)

Aeatan

Fledgling Freddie
That's a good idea. Whoever starts one posted that here, okay?

Aeatan

Fledgling Freddie
Okay, the battlegroup is on me. (Aeatan)
/bg join Aeatan

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Right, What can we say about tonights event...

A nice idea but didn't work as expected due to 'zerg mentality' of a 100 strong BG...

The majority of the BG charged to Wearywall, saw a tornado thingo and zerged into.. Didn't bother to talk to the event NPC's / GMs just straight zerg to port...

The dungeon itself was nice, made a pleasant change from normality but unfortunatley, as soon as the BG was in there it was a don't stop, don't talk to anything, just zerg it :(

TBH I'm guessing our GMs would have been disappointed with the lack of interaction with them...

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Was a good raid imo, was fun, as my first event ever for me, but was a bit trbble back at WV at last mob, glad we got it sorted out, just wanna thx the leaders, and evry ppl on the raid, imo was really fun tho quite many seemed to mislike it (i can judge since its my first and only Event)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Unfortunatly i have to agree, a very zerg mentality, also doesnt help when you want to roleplay with the NPC's its kinda impossible other people want to roleplay, some just want to /duel.

But, hey what can you do.....

Britin

Fledgling Freddie
The majority of the BG charged to Wearywall, saw a tornado thingo and zerged into.. Didn't bother to talk to the event NPC's / GMs just straight zerg to port...

As the post on GOA's webby specifically said Avalon Isle GK's mustered at Wearyall. When strange winds were seen North of the village we went to investigate....hey ho next minute we're flying.........If the post had read that Farmer Bloggs was having problems with his crops and seeking assistance at Goth perhaps things may have been different, although once the zerg mentality struck there was no way it was ever going to be anything but a farce.

limpit

Fledgling Freddie
i thought it was pretty poor imho but i didn't know what to expect being my first event that i've been able to attend...

i'd have liked the chance to roleplay a bit more i guess, or for something *other* than a big zzeerrgg... :(

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Being a muppet didn't see this thread further down when I started making another post. Not to worry :)

Basically what I said in the other thread. Had a hoot and lots of nice screenies of various bits of fun :)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
So how about some constructive feedback - how could GoA improve the events to incorporate more roleplaying for those who want to - without depriving the rest of albion who dont want to roleplay from taking part.

Aeatan

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, I don't think you can blame the zerg mentality.. Look, these are the points I send as feedback to GoA (the feedback itself was much more lengthier and this is just an extract of it):

- It was unclear on how this event should've been started. If I hadn't asked the GMs about the place and time, then, maybe people would've bumped into that NPC naturally. However, that NPC could also have ran down to ask for the aid of Albion's Army. It was right there! Only in the harbour! Other than that, the information given on the website (strange winds in Avalon Isle) was a lot clearer than whatever I was saying to the crowd or what the NPCs were saying. We had already figured out that the event would start in Wearyall, in fact, we chose that place as our initial meeting place, however, after asking Requiel (I believe it was Requiel), he told us that it would've been better to gather in Gothwaite (should've asked if he meant Gothwaite Harbour or Caer, alas, it didn't occur to me), so everyone moved to Gothwaite. See what I mean? Everyone moved back to Wearyall because it was happening there, both in-game and according to the site, thus missing essential information!

- The roles of the 'NPC's weren't clear. Both the Farmer and the Jailkeeper weren't noticable enough. Of the farmer I couldn't tell if he had any important information, or if he was only supposed to point us to Wearyall.

- People were allowed to advance even though missing crucial parts of the 'event'. It might've been better to lock the dungeon until the farmer shows the crowd where his farm is. So, try to make the event 'staged'. Put things like the crop farm and the whirlwinds in a place near Wearyall, but a bit out of sight and a 5 minute walk. If possible, have the entrance disabled (If that's not dynamically scriptable, do a check to see if the farmer is within X distance). You could just let players fall down instead of porting until the information has been told. So.. try to have a certain 'start' point of the event and an 'end point' that's kind of impossible to miss (as a crowd)

- Try not to test a player's patience by teleporting them back or similar mechanics (like Mythic's ML2.10 Harpies) to the start. They were promised fun as (most likely) the only reward (hey, we didn't know we'd get respec stones! Meh!), getting teleported back is absolutely not fun.

- The event was confusing. The stealthers could pass the barrier. We didn't know that that was a bug? We spend a lot of time trying to figure out that puzzle. How important were those NPCs if you could just skip them? What are we supposed to do at point x, y, z, etc?

Other than that, I think that most Albions did actually think it was great to do a GoA event in general. There was a good reward at the end, and we got to dance on middy graves. I think that everyone who'd be able to recognize the amount of work that went into this, would very much appreciate so. And I don't think that anyone should expect GoA to deliver fault-proof/fool-proof events every time they run an event. Some times it just doesn't work out. Shit happends, afterall.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Aeatan said:
Lots of usefull stuff... mmm took way to long to read all that....

Some really good feedback - would love to see what else you wrote, But the zerg mentality ruined the event im my eyes, and nope cant blame anyone for that, its just the way things are.

Ohh and a better way to filter 142 people doing /random 1000 would be nice - hehe, im sure we could script something to help there - the problem is the log file is not written to disk right away to avoid people abusing this for crafting, so.. either... get everyone to /random, then log out and back in to flush the log to disk and run a parser, or use a 3rd party app which is against CoC to capture the /random rolls direct to a log file.

Aeatan

Fledgling Freddie
Nah, I'm not going to hack the packet encryption.. we got a new one since 1.68. And yeah, I noticed the thing about the log file, but, because everyone's spamming during the end of the event, by the time you open the log file you have more than you need.

Keres

One of Freddy's beloved
Gifv repeat of Soul Wards :twak: That has been the best event, nothing like having three giant shades lobbing you 100 feet in the air in Salisbury plains, having loads of legionaries guarding Mithra (all those poor lowbies :( ) and having that rumble with the trees in Barrows and Camelot church! Plus I think events are better when they last longer than one night :m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom