Strafing in RvR.

I

Ialkarn

Day by day the number of support players strafing under attack,in RvR contests,increase..
I can say it's almost a standard now,and ppl not strafing prolly ignore how it change the ammount of damage you avoid in this way:you avoid positional styles (making them almost impossible to be landed) and giving "target now in view" messages to ppl stuck to you,if ppl dosen't stick they lose a several number of rounds of damage.

Now is that lamer?
It's part of the game and it should be accepted?
Ppl not strafing are stupid?

Discuss..

A

Aloca

strafing is in the game and working as intended, if others use a built in game feature why dont you?

running thro to make someone get out of view msg is also in game due the fact no collision detections. live with it and go on

A

Arnor

Originally posted by Aloca
strafing is in the game and working as intended, if others use a built in game feature why dont you?

running thro to make someone get out of view msg is also in game due the fact no collision detections. live with it and go on

how you know its working as intended and not something they just cant fix?

I think its lame and dont do it.

V

vintervargen

it cannot be fixed, because its mainly a lag/update issue. if everyone were to send the double of info to the server, alot of connections would not be able to keep up with the packets sent/recieved. if this is wrong someone correct me.

so technically it cant be done until you have 'solid' players.

if its lame, well, zergs (read; no fg vs fg zones avaliable), and savages are also lame.

ppl who want to win goes in balanced groups, and uses all tools avaliable that isnt classified as a cheat (sometimes that too if they want to win very badly but sucks too much).

ppl who roleplay will go in zergs "looking for enemys to battle", and will invite any people to their group.

bit offtopic but well, blame mythic for only satisfying 1 part of the customers, not both.

H

Hit ^_^

Originally posted by vintervargen
it cannot be fixed, because its mainly a lag/update issue. if everyone were to send the double of info to the server, alot of connections would not be able to keep up with the packets sent/recieved. if this is wrong someone correct me.

so technically it cant be done until you have 'solid' players.

if its lame, well, zergs (read; no fg vs fg zones avaliable), and savages are also lame.

ppl who want to win goes in balanced groups, and uses all tools avaliable that isnt classified as a cheat (sometimes that too if they want to win very badly but sucks too much).

ppl who roleplay will go in zergs "looking for enemys to battle", and will invite any people to their group.

bit offtopic but well, blame mythic for only satisfying 1 part of the customers, not both.

well the strafing bit aint hard to solve :> just remove it,

the run thrue thing might be as you say tho. chould be fixed but whould probebly produce more lag. and be extremly anoying when u got 4enemies around you. standing in the way so u cant move :\

B

bracken_woodman

It's part of the game, would be better if it wasn't. While it's there though people can and will use it. But it requires even less skill than the rest of this game.

F

fl-gorre

first of all i doubt it was ever the intention of mystic to allow ppl to strafe to take less damage, run tru enemies so he/she cant cast , jump of a wall without any damage etc
on the contrary it was their intention to make savages like savage wilderbeasts , chanters strong casters etc
sure those fotms grps might be overpowered and unbalanced or whatever but its just abusing the strenght of certain classes

abusing bugs is something completly diffrent and is not comparable to fotms at all
you are doing stuff wich the game isnt designed for.
and in the case of strafing or running tru ppl, you are increasing your chanses of survival by a bug and decreasing your enemies one who might or might not liek to play the game as it was intended for
a lot of kiddoos dont care because they just want to wtfpwn , or others just use it because their enemies did it numberous times to them
it ends up in a vicious circle

take the famous bunnyhopping bug in Q3 and CS
(for those who arent familiar with these games its a method to move at faster rate tru the map by strafejumping)
in contrary to daoc, this bunnyhupping requires some skill to master it perfectly.
in Q3 they never bothered to remove this bug.
why? cuz it added to the skill of players and had no other devastating or annoying sideffects
ppl just moved faster thats it
in CS however the did remove it after a while.
Why? because timing is very important in this game, there are several shokepoints in the difrent maps where the terrorist and counter terrorist should arrive at diffrent times after a map starts
lets say if a terrorist was able to move faster to the bombspot then the CT's it woudl completly ruin the game and its intentions

back to daoc:
everybody knows very good that strafing to avoid taking damage is a bug, even worse its close to cheating
this game offers allrdy many tools to lower damage: armor, realmabilities buffs guard etc
but strafing was never designed to be abused or was mystic aware of it or mayb its just technically impossible to prevent it from happening
mayb it will get patched one day or mayb they cant fix it who knows?

CS and Q3 is played on smaller servers with less ppl , hence more control/overview from the admin(s)
if somebody is violating the rules of that server or abusing bugs we could get voted off, kicked or even banned

i am very well aware of the that its hard to admin a 4000+server for bugabusers, but imho the same rules should be applied

you cheat, you abuse a bug you get kicked. if you do it repetivly you should get banned PERIOD

but this is a delicate matter cuz one banned account is 12e a month less for goa :D

(PS yeah my english isnt that great i know :p )

K

K0nah

its lame, it needs fixing.

a statement from GoA saying its bug abuse may help in the short term.

R

Rulke-RM

They could fix it by making anyone you /face always be in view (barring LoS ofc) and anyone you stick always be in range and view (with sensible restrictions). But personally I like the option that you can lessen damage depending on some actual physical skill you possess

T

Twotosix

strafing is so not even an issue :p remove ungrp'd bb's, nerf stealth ,rethink interupts, fix rp bug, make necro pets start to give rps, nerf hybrid insta's to 700 range, remove target out of view bollox from ppl repeatedly running through u. nerf mincers, make dragon fang second in a chain like frosty glaze currently it's a joke, nerf chanters to hell, nerf all pets and hunt ppl that use drag window/radar down irl and remove their legs with a piece of broken glass :p Then think about strafing imo..

H

hotrat

Originally posted by Twotosix
strafing is so not even an issue :p remove ungrp'd bb's, nerf stealth ,rethink interupts, fix rp bug, make necro pets start to give rps, nerf hybrid insta's to 700 range, remove target out of view bollox from ppl repeatedly running through u. nerf mincers, make dragon fang second in a chain like frosty glaze currently it's a joke, nerf chanters to hell, nerf all pets and hunt ppl that use drag window/radar down irl and remove their legs with a piece of broken glass :p Then think about strafing imo..
haha some crazy points but in fact I agree with all of them except the nerf minstrels one :)

V

vindicat0r

nerf chanters to hell

They did that. Next patch isnt soon enough for you

Strafing should be clarified by mythic/goa etc .... first then if its deemed cheating/ bug abuse then they can look at what can be done about it. imagine reporting every person that strafes around you o_O.

A

Asha

Originally posted by Rulke-RM
They could fix it by making anyone you /face always be in view (barring LoS ofc) and anyone you stick always be in range and view (with sensible restrictions). But personally I like the option that you can lessen damage depending on some actual physical skill you possess

that is bs rulke.
you shouldn't be able to use an issue of the game coding to avoid all styles. but everyone does it so its ok!

ffs it's crap. it's cheating. it's very lame.

you have things like armor, guard, heals, ras, cc for a reason - to combat ppl hitting and casting on you.

what insta disease isn't enough?

I can't even play my cleric atm cause I feel so disgusted at "uber" groups who have overpowered savages + relics + have to fucking strafe every fight. Quit cause it was no challenge lol...here is a challenge - stop strafing.

And no I won't start cause everyone else does it. I just won't play group vs group I guess.

And cause other lame ass things like bbots, savages, and df exists doesn't mean that strafing is any less lame.

[/rant]

A

acei

Strafing is part of the game and is VERY easy to do... i use it in duels, even forced a skald to use his IP because my cleric was about to kill him 1 - 1... and my cleric is rejuv/enh not smite ;)

R

Rulke-RM

Originally posted by Asha
that is bs rulke.
you shouldn't be able to use an issue of the game coding to avoid all styles. but everyone does it so its ok!

ffs it's crap. it's cheating. it's very lame.

you have things like armor, guard, heals, ras, cc for a reason - to combat ppl hitting and casting on you.

what insta disease isn't enough?

I can't even play my cleric atm cause I feel so disgusted at "uber" groups who have overpowered savages + relics + have to fucking strafe every fight. Quit cause it was no challenge lol...here is a challenge - stop strafing.

And no I won't start cause everyone else does it. I just won't play group vs group I guess.

And cause other lame ass things like bbots, savages, and df exists doesn't mean that strafing is any less lame.

[/rant]

Yeah that's why I said personally, meaning when i play shaman.

And fart can be annoying yes, but before i quit midgard, when i was ( I felt) playing my shaman the best I ever had - when I farted I got "already has that effect" messages most of the time. The only real reason to use fart is to interupt and even then its only PBAoE. It's good as a last resort sure but it's pointless vs PF or archers or casters or assassins or if I'm diseased myself.

And we rarely had guard in group and when we did shaman isnt highest priority to guard if theres healers getting hit too :/

A

Asha

Originally posted by acei
Strafing is part of the game and is VERY easy to do... i use it in duels, even forced a skald to use his IP because my cleric was about to kill him 1 - 1... and my cleric is rejuv/enh not smite ;)

ur g8!

wow a rejuv/ehn cleric beating a skald...oh wait you didn't say you beat him.

it's not the point if it's easy or a part of the game - wall bugs are a part of the game. No you can't dmg while strafing, but as a healer/support you are doing things just by being up. It's cheating to be able to avoid getting hits like that.

/rude poon :p

Rulke, you say personally, but your strafing effects everyone you play vs and everyone they play vs. Kinda like a nasty std !

I understand that it's annoying to meet an assist train, but it's not an excuse to cheat. It's part of the game to see which team can work together better to win. Not to see which support can avoid all hits while diseasing all the opposing tanks. All supports in a tank group feel the pressure, but it's not worth using a cheat for imo.

F

fl-gorre

djeez some replys here really make me wonder why on earth i even bother to play this game...

this makes me a sad panda :(

V

VodkaFairy

Strafing is stupid, but look what happens when you can't strafe when there is an assist train on you (savage stun :p). Had some experience as a druid now but tanks with red str/con buff can and will be instakilled faster than I can cast a heal sometimes.

It's no surprise really some people can't take that and resort to lame behaviour like strafing.

Running through people to prevent styles/spells is just as bad.

R

Ravenbourne

imo nothing wrong with strafing, remember, while the enemy is strafing they aren't healing/casting. walking through sucks though

F

fl3a

Originally posted by fl-gorre
in Q3 they never bothered to remove this bug.

in Q2 they never bothered to remove the bug. in Q3 it was intentional.

B

Belomar

Originally posted by vindicat0r
They did that. Next patch isnt soon enough for you
No, they didn't. They nerfed resistance debuffs and focus shields across the board. I would have sooner seen a nerf targeted specifically at chanters, but now their prominence and overpoweredness had to make a whole set of classes suffer.

A

alme

Originally posted by Ravenbourne
imo nothing wrong with strafing, remember, while the enemy is strafing they aren't healing/casting. walking through sucks though

rofl are u fucking stupid ? Its not exactly like the one who got assist train on him is healing away like fuck now is it.

and lol rolke, yea it depends on HUUUUGE skills to strafe so the tanks cant hit u, atleast if ure a blind retard with no arms.

B

Belomar

Rulke's idea sounds perfect. After all, when someone hits /face, they expect the game to fulfill their wish and consider the player to really be facing the target regardless of physical imperfections like lag and abuse. Therefore, I see absolutely no reason why a /faced target should always be in view.

Could those of you with objections to this please explain?

Also, if they would make the "you were strafing in combat and fail your attack" thing happen much more frequently, I bet strafing would lose some of its appeal.

A

alme

Originally posted by Belomar

Also, if they would make the "you were strafing in combat and fail your attack" thing happen much more frequently, I bet strafing would lose some of its appeal.

only prob here is that suport dont hit the tanks attacking them so they wouldnt lose shit.

F

finbahr

Originally posted by Arnor
how you know its working as intended and not something they just cant fix?

I think its lame and dont do it.

why should i stand there and let someone whack the fuck outta me or run around letting them get back styles? no you use all the ammo you got thats intended in the game you have strafe buttons on the keyboard .its not something you can't do irl so why not in the game i played rugby and "strafing" or sidestepping is the best way to avoid "an attack" tackle

S

serious

^^ as long as savages 1 combatround kill me. tanks run through me while they see me cast. archers not having los but still kill me. all enemies can interrupt while not even damaging me etc etc.. i will strafe my heart out.
most of the time it will not keep me alive much longer tho especially against savages..but sometimes just long enough.

S.

A

alme

Originally posted by finbahr
why should i stand there and let someone whack the fuck outta me or run around letting them get back styles? no you use all the ammo you got thats intended in the game you have strafe buttons on the keyboard .its not something you can't do irl so why not in the game i played rugby and "strafing" or sidestepping is the best way to avoid "an attack" tackle

i dont know about u but i dont lag irl.

R

Rulke-RM

Originally posted by alme
rofl are u fucking stupid ? Its not exactly like the one who got assist train on him is healing away like fuck now is it.

and lol rolke, yea it depends on HUUUUGE skills to strafe so the tanks cant hit u, atleast if ure a blind retard with no arms.

well its relative really, the better I strafe the less damage I take. Or the tank who /sticks then spams anytime with side/rear backup.
Which is more skilled?

And yeah Asha its not very nice to people we're playing against, but then again neither is running with 4 healers and 3 savages :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom