Stocks and Shares

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Same shit happened in a mine near here. It was a lead mine - but the guy convinced 18th century invedtors that it was full of silver, then skanked off with all their money.

It wasn't a reflection on mining as an activity any more than the same behaviours are a reflection of crypto as a tech.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ugh. He made an absolute fool of himself yesterday and now he's determined to still be the centre of attention.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
As long as SpaceX keep doing really cool things with rockets I don't care. The whole Starship stack will be lifting off later this year, almost into orbit, before landing in the sea. And I can't wait to see the first stage booster being caught. That is going to be epic.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
As long as SpaceX keep doing really cool things with rockets I don't care. The whole Starship stack will be lifting off later this year, almost into orbit, before landing in the sea. And I can't wait to see the first stage booster being caught. That is going to be epic.
I dislike his satellites polluting the night sky

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Thanks to a well timed sell and re-buy - I'm now ITM.

I like when things crash. This has pretty much nullified my stock losses.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I dislike his satellites polluting the night sky

They're not. You can only see them visually at dawn and dusk, as the sun strikes them, and only after they've just been released. At night in the Earth's shadow they're as visible as any other satellite, which is to say invisible. And since their orbits are a known quantity, astronomers can work around them just as they do with every other satellite up there.

Old fashioned light pollution is an actual issue.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
They're not. You can only see them visually at dawn and dusk, as the sun strikes them, and only after they've just been released. At night in the Earth's shadow they're as visible as any other satellite, which is to say invisible. And since their orbits are a known quantity, astronomers can work around them just as they do with every other satellite up there.

Rather than just the one spot of light like the iss is its a train that rushes across the sky. And its not like just the ones that are up there now but the many many more he is sending up. which will then be a pain for telescopic images from inside the atmosphere.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

They palpably are. Living in my dark sky reserve they're an obvious blight - and they can't be "turned off at midnight".

The scientists and astronomy and photography community is up in arms about them. And rightly so IMO.

Yes, light pollution on the earth is a thing. But they're fucking scarring the night sky.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
They palpably are. Living in my dark sky reserve they're an obvious blight - and they can't be "turned off at midnight".

The scientists and astronomy and photography community is up in arms about them. And rightly so IMO.

Yes, light pollution on the earth is a thing. But they're fucking scarring the night sky.

Surely astronomy is improved by sending satellites into space that can see much further?

Or are we doing the 'unless its our field fuck 'em' approach?.

I think space exploration is our purpose as a species, if SpaceX wanna bank roll that by providing global gigabyte internet connections to people that have never had access to it before then why the fuck not?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Surely astronomy is improved by sending satellites into space that can see much further?

Those are incredibly costly to made, risky to send to space and often take decades to produce. The James Webb Space Telescope, the replacement to the Hubble, has taken 25 years to manufacturer and has cost over $10 billion.

There are certain telescopes that must be in space such as infrared telescopes that require the almost absolute zero temperature of space to work but apart from ones like those the vasty majority of astromony is still Earth based.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

You're wrong. They are not visible once in the earth's shadow. Like all other satellites, they can only be seen when sunlight strikes them. Dusk and Dawn.

The scientists worried about this may have a minor point, but it's only minor, and the gains to society from having full global access to the internet massively outweigh any issues they have.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can you all take this to another thread please

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Yep. It's a big part of the reason for the recent price crashes. But institutional investors are still buying the dip because the fundamentals of crypto haven't changed. It's people with new wallets who are panicking.

I personally think it's a good thing if we're doing something such an oppressive regime hates. Now the ball is in the West's court to see if they're going to want to control us in the same way the Chinese want.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So. Where to put some cash to hedge against potential inflation / ROI above 4%?

...ponders the fact that we've printed fuckloads of dollars in the last 18 months...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Something of a bump but what do all the crypto heads think of the bitcoin dive going on at the moment?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm no expert but whenever I see all these headlines, I wonder who might benefit from a dip in value. And then I wonder about the motivations behind such reporting.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Something of a bump but what do all the crypto heads think of the bitcoin dive going on at the moment?

Also something of a bump, but I am also not a 'crypto head', though I am involved in the 'market data industry'... I suspect it's worries about the Ukraine situation driving everything down or into safer holdings, but I'm very not sure. Hopefully a crypto head can offer more!

(I had £500 in my account and rather than beer, drugs and hookers in lockdown I decided to take a punt on ETH... worth 309 now ... doubt I'd get much more than beer out of that !! :unsure: ;) :D )

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Same as I think of the stock market diving massively, combined with 7% inflation.

Crypto stocks are volatile. But the S&P 500 lost 10% in a single blow the other day - and we hold a lot more of our investments in trad. stocks than we do crypto, don't we? As more people get into crypto the volatility will come down - and that's being proven as more people do - a 50% drop (for example) this year is not the wild fluctuations of times gone past where you've had 10,000% gains.

I just see it as a new market very slowly maturing over time tbh.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I'm not with you guys on this. It's a space that's scam ridden, full of opportunists and scammers, luring people into parting with their money.

I hold the whole thing in contempt, and will msot likely have nothing to do with it, ever.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You don't need to pay into a scam to know it's a scam.

Gwadien

You don't need to pay into a scam to know it's a scam.

Arguing about crypto and nfts is so boring when the people discussing it clearly do not have a clue and find all their information on internet sites that clearly have an agenda to hate it.

It's like the ultimate sheep.

There's scams everywhere in life it's fucking stupid to suggest that you can somehow remove it from anywhere.

And yeh I'm not going to accept evidence of people that go out of their way to try to be scammed to make a point.

It's like paying my life savings to some bloke in India then claiming how the global financial system is corrupt and scam ridden to its core.

I get it you don't want to be involved, there's no need to be jealous.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That escalated quickly, is your tampon in back to front or something?

Gwadien

That escalated quickly, is your tampon in back to front or something?

Nah it's just like constant bombardment of people moaning about stuff they don't have a clue about but are somehow experts too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom