Stocks and Shares

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yes, except...
..except Nvidia themselves came out and said that wasn't the deciding factor in unavailability - it's that gamers are hoovering them up for games.

(And probably, if they were honest, that they can't pump 'em out at faster rates).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
..except Nvidia themselves came out and said that wasn't the deciding factor in unavailability - it's that gamers are hoovering them up for games.

(And probably, if they were honest, that they can't pump 'em out at faster rates).
Where did they come out and say that? In any case, they're not to be believed, they may put great tech out (when they're forced to by AMD too close) but they're a stain of a company on every other front. I've sat and watched miners snapping up any GPU with >= 8 GB of VRAM on it for the last 6 weeks or so. There aren't any left for gamers to hoover up, certainly not anywhere near RRP.

There are genuine supply issues (caused partly by raw material shortages and Chinese New Year) but to suggest it's gamers buying all these cards with the current Ethereum mining craze is madness.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

That didn't last long. It's not fully unlocked but it seems that all that's needed to drastically improve mining performance (~30 MH/s to ~48 MH/s) is to use a different driver version.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah. Like Nvidia give a shit what people buy their cards for.

It was just a jerk the gamers off smokescreen.

Like all companies they're making a killing and can charge a premium they're happy.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

Restricting supply is a decent tactic to keep unit price high.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Coinbase today.....

Will be interesting to follow crypto for the next few days.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Litecoin has already nearly doubled what I bought it for a couple of weeks ago. I only have a couple of hundred quid in there but nice to see :) I'll keep an eye on it today and offload the lot later...buy back in a couple of days if it has dropped.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Litecoin has already nearly doubled what I bought it for a couple of weeks ago. I only have a couple of hundred quid in there but nice to see :) I'll keep an eye on it today and offload the lot later...buy back in a couple of days if it has dropped.
My LTC has increased by nearly 500% since I bought it. Continuing to HODL.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fucking hell, it is manic out there and the US is not even awake yet :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The one survivor? Fucking Doge, the meme-iest project around.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Eth is on a fucking mental charge. Not going to be pretty for some ppl.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Eth is on a fucking mental charge. Not going to be pretty for some ppl.
Don't see why ETH couldn't hit $10k in a couple of years as it's functionality gets adopted.

As for things not being pretty for some people - same thing with traditional share trading but in an area of increased volatility. Don't bet what you can't afford to lose - as per standard investment advice.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Never mind a couple of years, a lot of people are starting to think that ETH could hit $10k in this cycle - there's loads of institutional investment flooding in and lots of big protocol upgrades are coming this year (to name a few... layer 2 solutions already rolling out, EIP 1559 in July and "The Merge" - turning PoW off and switching entirely to PoS - pencilled in for Q4). The fundamentals have never been stronger (as far as that matters with nonsense like Doge pumping).

And crypto corrections are brutal, anyone who was around early 2018 can attest to that.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Also, if you can't wrap your head around what crypto *is* and why a lot of people think it's the start of something massive...

tl;dw: There are interesting similarities between a couple of pieces of tech that either came about or came to the fore at the end of the Middle Ages and into the European Renaissance and where we are now. Suddenly being able to quickly disseminate information - the printing press = the internet and a verifiable ledger system - double-entry bookkeeping = blockchains.

Even if you think it's all bollocks (as I'm sure a lot of the peasants did at the end of the Middle Ages :eek:), it's an interesting watch/listen and might or might not make you think.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I bought £50 of LTC and £50 of ETH today through Coinbase. I'm a total noob, what would you guys recommend?

I also bought some shares in Pedalme and Clearwaste recently, about £150 total.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I bought £50 of LTC and £50 of ETH today through Coinbase. I'm a total noob, what would you guys recommend?

ETH likely to drop a bit and then level apparently before a big surge upwards

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Many people will say DYOR (Do Your Own Research) and do DCA (Dollar Cost Averaging) to minimise losses due to coins dropping like flies.

As @Aoami has said, there is likely to be a price correction at some point which is then a good time to buy some more.

I have both ETH and LTC and according to my tracker over the last 7 days they have increased by 24.49 and 27.31 in value respectively.

The one coin that baffles me is DOGE and I have purposely stayed away from it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've read about doge, apparently there's no limit to what can be mined so it's basically worthless.

I wonder if the DYOR people would do that, or visit a hospital if they broke their leg.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A lot of people have made a lot of money but I wouldn't touch Doge with a bargepole. It's literally a meme coin that was started as a joke and has been pumped by a bored, childish billionaire. It's going to crash at some point (it's fundamentally unsustainable due to how its issuance works) and a lot of people are going to get burned. It's introduced more people to crypto but then, if it crashes and they lose money and leave, disillusioned, that might not even be a good thing. The fact that it's currently #4 by market cap gives plenty of ammunition to the "crypto is a scam" crowd.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

It will be worth £60 tomorrow then £40 on Friday and £70 on Saturday.

The trouble I have with all of it, is how utterly simple it is for people to manipulate its worth and everyone is cool with that, see Elon Musk. If that was steel or any other commodity he would have been turned over.

Other than another fiscal reward for trashing the environment, I still don't see a point to it, as a currency.

I'll watch the film posted later on.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It will be worth £60 tomorrow then £40 on Friday and £70 on Saturday.

The trouble I have with all of it, is how utterly simple it is for people to manipulate its worth and everyone is cool with that, see Elon Musk. If that was steel or any other commodity he would have been turned over.

Other than another fiscal reward for trashing the environment, I still don't see a point to it, as a currency.

I'll watch the film posted later on.
Doesn't that also apply to stocks and shares? Didn't Elon tweet about his company a year or so ago and the stock value shifted massively?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Doesn't that also apply to stocks and shares? Didn't Elon tweet about his company a year or so ago and the stock value shifted massively?

Musk can type anything on his Twitter and it'll affect his stock price in some random direction.

A few years back Tesla was the most shorted stock on the markets by lots of the major hedge funds and brokerages and *coincidentally* there was a sudden surge in negative stories about Tesla cars and crashes they were involved in and negative media about Elon.

Stock trading and the markets are a seedy business already, crypto is simply a more extreme case.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yep. And he's come in front of regulators for commentating (both negatively and positively) IIRC.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Musk can type anything on his Twitter and it'll affect his stock price in some random direction.

A few years back Tesla was the most shorted stock on the markets by lots of the major hedge funds and brokerages and *coincidentally* there was a sudden surge in negative stories about Tesla cars and crashes they were involved in and negative media about Elon.

Stock trading and the markets are a seedy business already, crypto is simply a more extreme case.
And that is why you need to DYOR and then decide whether you can accept the risks involved.

For example, DOGE (for whatever fucking reason) has risen in price by 24212.08% in one year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom