Star Wars: Episode 3

Yaka

Part of the furniture
not sure what to expect from this as before over hyped already, its meant to be "dark" but fuck knows, i for one have began to hate the series now

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Well the first reviews are coming and though some people are kinda like

"Well I hate this shit now and so I don't care about the good stuff, there's enough annoying bits in it to make me tell Lucas to piss off"

most are saying that its actually rather good, or if your slight geeky then maybe its like gods very own blow job.

So I'm pretty hyped. Could be my best movie of the year as it does look to be shit hot.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I will say this:

I hated ep1.

I hated ep2 even more.

As an episode 1 and 2 hater I have to admit - that (including the official trailer) looks the fucking sex.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I thought the official trailer looked great but that looked pretty lamox :\

None of the other actors seem to be able to keep up with Ewan McGregor (lightsaber madskillz-wise) which is why (I think) he ruled in ep1 vs Ray Park - proper martial artist. Ep 2 he was ok, but it was crap and slow vs Christopher Lee, and it seems ole Hayden can't keep up either.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
We've gone star wars mad at work, got to say the trailers all look good and if nothing else the toys are cool :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Well, I was one of the lucky ones today (or mad ones, depending on your point of view), I watched all 6 star wars movies in the empire leicester square (where a bunch of the cast turned up, including george and rick).

ROTS is a exactly what you wanted a star wars story to be, action-packed, emotional, and it resonates well with the original trilogy (something ep1 didn't do, and ep2 did poorly). Also, to quote someone who saw it with me, "it makes the ESB look like happy days", which is exactly what you'd expect given what everyone knows of the plot, so this is definitely not one for kids (despite what strange american women who want to write their own version of it for their kids, where strangely annakin doesn't turn to the dark side, and everyone probably goes to fluffy bunny land or something).

The only downside is that it's a bit limp after the first set of action sequences, but the pace is fairly relentless by the end of the first hour. Thankfully jar-jar is pretty much not in it, he's seen in 2 scenes, no lines, and no jokes!

One recommendation, if you haven't watched the clone wars series' before you watch ROTS, try to, as it sets you up very well, with plenty of foreshadowing.

All in all, in the words of rick maccallum, it was "fucking awesome".

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Nice. I cant wait. Going to see it on sunday

Sar

Part of the furniture
Made arrangements to get out of work early on Thursday to go with the Mrs to see it :)

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
I'm going one of the later showings on thurs night to ensure there aren't any kids there :clap:

M® Zîllâ

Fledgling Freddie
inactionman said:
Thankfully jar-jar is pretty much not in it, he's seen in 2 scenes, no lines, and no jokes!

Damn was hopeing to see him get hacked to bit's in some incredibly slow and drawn out scene :(

Poag

m00?
M® Zîllâ said:
Damn was hopeing to see him get hacked to bit's in some incredibly slow and drawn out scene :(

Directors cut version :)

or atleast it should be!

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Seen it

Spoiler free review is:

its good

not as good as the others (this makes jedi a much better film)
not as good as any of lotr films either

but its still very good :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bollocks, they're all sold out around here. Oh well, I'll go tomorrow morning when the nerds will be in bed.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Saw it last night with the bird and a couple of mates.

I have to say, it was pretty fucking cool. :)

Without giving anything away it's major jedi death action. (If that spoils anything for you then you've had your head in the sand since the mid-1980's).

Action's good. CGI is better than the other films (although I still wish they'd bring puppet Yoda back) and apart from a few bits where you go "gaayyyyy" it's bob-on.

Go see it. It's cool :clap:

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
Scouse said:
(although I still wish they'd bring puppet Yoda back)

Oh god no! The episode1 puppet was so shit. And the ep5/6 puppets wouldn't stand up to it these days and just wouldn't suit the film.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Fantastic, fucking loved it.

There were a couple of cheese bits, but the acting was a lot better. It tied up loose ends nicely, set the seen for Ep4.

It felt like a proper star wars unlike Ep1 and Ep2, both of which never moved me in the slightest. There were bits of Ep3 that really moved me, just like in RotJ.

When you compare the grim, dark, distressed and doomed fate of Ep3 alongside the chirpy childish "jar jar binks" Ep1 - they're completely different films and it emphasises just how shit Ep1 was, although I appreciate they needed to make it to set the scene / tell the story fully.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I really enjoyed this one. Perhaps a couple (okay a lot) of unneccesary cut scenes "yet another planet with lots of traffic etc etc" but I think a lot of the reviews Ive read have got it wrong, and were written not by fans of Star Wars (film snobs probably).

Opening battle scene excellent. Ill need to either see it a few more times at the cinema or buy the DVD to take all the action in. The way it shows the enevitable fall of Anakin was really cool.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I enjoyed it too, it was a nice distraction from college troubles, something that did make me laugh though that was supposed to be touching...

The bit when Darth Sidious tells Vader that he (Vader) killed Padme, and Vader goes a little mad, struggles out of his bindings, hobbles a few feet ahead and yells "noooooooooo"; all I could think of was a scene in Futurama (think it's the episode where Bender becomes a female athlete) with Calculon talking about a role of his on some Letterman style tv show and it cuts to the scene of him shouting "noooooooooo".

Well, I thought it was funny anyhow :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Enjoyed it. Still wish Lucas had employed someone who could write dialogue, but overall a ftting end (middle?).

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It was shit and I'm not just being a grumpy bastard.

It started off really well but the bits where Anakin had to make his choices were stupid. How thick is he supposed to be ?

And where he gets the black suit and break out his bonds and stumbles forward like fucking Frankenstein. And then realises that being evil is what actually killed Padme and that Sidius tricked him. He just gives a comedy "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and then carries on being Darth Vader anyway like it doesn't matter ???

And most of the light-sabre duels just got boring.

4/10.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
This film actually makes episode I & II Better. Well episode II at least. Gone are the majority of the usual plot inconsistancies as they are all are tied up. Lost is the poor script. Is Christiansen a worthy Vader. You bet he is. The CGI is relevant and makes it a good film that is befitting this story. It makes you want to watch episodes IV, V & VI all over again. Lucas even made some of the flight decks and displays to be the same as those in the Original Star Wars so it had a natural follow on to Episode IV. This is only apparent in some of the closing scenes though

If anyone offers it you on DVD or anything like that ignore them with the contempt they deserve. Watch it on the big screen. It's the only way to do it justice. I was expecting to be disappointed. I was overwhelmed. It gets a solid 9/10 from me

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Short post.

Saw it yesterday, brought 2-3 'I hated EPI1/2' friends with me. They liked the movie :)

Was okay, did explain bits and pieces of the movie since I haven't seen any of the other 5 in quite a while, the fightscenes were quite good, and I admit - 1 or 2 of them made me be like 'omfg'

Worth going to see if even if you hatet the 'saga'

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Wij said:
It was shit and I'm not just being a grumpy bastard.

It started off really well but the bits where Anakin had to make his choices were stupid. How thick is he supposed to be ?

And where he gets the black suit and break out his bonds and stumbles forward like fucking Frankenstein. And then realises that being evil is what actually killed Padme and that Sidius tricked him. He just gives a comedy "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and then carries on being Darth Vader anyway like it doesn't matter ???

And most of the light-sabre duels just got boring.

4/10.

Thanks for the spoiler tags Wij - good thing I've seen it :rolleyes:

Yes his choices were stupid, but strangely enough that was one of things that seemed true-to-life; dragged down by a series of dumb moves rather than lust for power or megalomania
it was the "we can rule the galaxy together" bit that jarred more than his stupid choices - while his potential for this kind of attitude had been foreshadowed, it just seemed to pop-up wholly formed at the end

Anyway - once his mates were dead, his wife (and he assumes kid) were dead, and he was in the suit, "carrying on being Darth Vader" was pretty much his only option.

Jup - added Wij's spoilers for him

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It was ok, some parts were pretty good fun, and the last 15-20 minutes were quite moving. But:

Fastest pregnancy evah!

Why didn't Obi Wan finish him off? Is he the next Bond villain ffs?

Why not leave a hint of a few Jedi survivors? In ep4 I remember someone saying "the last of the Jedi are dead" or something

If thats George Lucas's idea of 'dark', he must live in the clouds

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom