Star Wars: Episode 3

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah Jonny I didn't think that Lucas had written them but I did think that there was a 7, 8 and 9 out in book form written by other people. I've not heard about that Boba Fett business - like I said I thought it was all about rebuilding the Jedi Order.

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
There are official "extended universe" books after the end of ROTJ books yeah but I'm sure it's not limited to three volumes. Plus you'd think he wouldn't make a film of a novel that's been around for years (hence why he never allowed anyone else to tell the story of Anakin's fall, that's his, goddammit!).

Plus he'd have to get the old cast back for sequel-sequels, and they're all old...and...and...I'd just be very surprised to see this happen specifically, although the universe itself is always big and rich enough for more stories.

Let's face it he's going to get bored once he's done ruining Indy IV. On the bright side he's 61 already so he doesn't have a huge amount of time :D

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Have to say, they did a very good job at making Anakin look like Luke, and i liked how they slotted in sound effects, such as at the start where Palpatine mentions Anakins mother. Was generally impressed, although I felt the dialouge between Anakin and Padame was a bit forced, just look at the way they sit with each other and "show affection".

AFAIK, the clones apparently degenerated or something, and most stormtroopers are normal people, god I feel geeky saying this. If you read some of the books, they mention how Han went through Stormtrooper training, plus Lukes extra powerful guy in the rebuilt temple who blows up the system that the stormtrooper training place is with the suncrusher..

Memorys a bit hazy as i got out the whole "STAR WARS!!111" phase a few years ago, but yeah.

Anyway, i'd rate it 7/10 (possibly 8 for Lucas being able to give me the shivers at bits, for example when the ship flies past and it sounds like a TIE)

and could someone explain how it takes them about 18 years to build the first death star and less than 6 for the second? Doesnt make sense.....unless they had to decorate every room which, i suppose, may have taken a while

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
Munkey said:
and could someone explain how it takes them about 18 years to build the first death star and less than 6 for the second? Doesnt make sense.....unless they had to decorate every room which, i suppose, may have taken a while

well i guess, as they'd already built one, building another wouldn't take as long.

also, did Obi-Wan actually believe that Anakin was dead? Or did he know that he wasn't? you know, when he tells Luke that his father is dead.
and was that Senator Organa dude a Jedi too? I don't really know.

In general I thought it was ok. Hayden Christensen can't act (I'm not saying I could do better, but a real actor could have been hired), and Ewan McGregor just tried too hard with the accent, imo.
I was pretty apathetic about the lightsabre fights, because you know who doesn't die from seeing episodes 4 5 and 6 :(
The best part about the film was R2D2, imo :D

but why do little children have to say every thought that passes through their mind when they are watching a cinema? and they dont even try to whisper. :twak:

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Complete description of the Death Star for Munkey

Death Star
satellite-sized battle station designed by Tol Sivron at the Maw installation, and was built by Bevel Lemelisk and Imperial Engineering.
Grand Moff Tarkin had asked for a superweapon with which he could control the entire Outer Rim Territory, and the Death Star was the
result. It housed a huge superlaser which combined the output of multiple lasers into a single, focused beam. A huge focusing lens was
built to accomplish this; it located on the upper hemisphere. The superlaser was designed to be targeted at anything from a capital ship
to a planet. This objective was known only to a select few, for Tarkin and the Maw's top scientists decided that they should downplay
the role of superweapon to keep the project on schedule. They told the project engineers that the station would be used to break down
dead planets in an effort to reach the core of elements easier. The funding for the original Death Star came from funds diverted form the
Departments of System Exploration and Public Works. The interior of the initial Death Star was planned to have 84 unique levels, each
1,428 meters in height. Each level was subdivided into 357 sublevels. The entire design was then divided into two hemispheres, each
with twelve zones. The crew of the first Death Star design was 27,048 officers; 774,576 troops, pilots, and crewers; 378,576 support
and maintenance crewers; 400,000 support droids; and 25,000 stormtroopers. The human inhabitants were provided with an array of
parks, shopping centers, and entertainment facilities, since the average length of service aboard the station was to be six years without
leave. At the north pole of the station was constructed a 100-story tower, which was heavily shielded and virtually impenetrable. This
tower held Palpatine's operational headquarters, for those times when he was aboard the station. According to Imperial sources, this
first Death Star took too long to construct, exceeding Palpatine's every deadline. It was built in orbit around the prison world Despayre.
Labor for the construction was taken at will from the prison below. When the first Death Star was complete, Tarkin ordered the
superlaser tested on the planet Despayre itself. Needless to say, this initial test exceeded even Tarkin's wildest dreams. However,
despite its formidable weaponry, the original design was flawed, as is vented its main reactor directly to the outside. This allowed the
Alliance to fire proton torpedoes into the exhaust shaft and destroy the station. The original station was 120 kilometers in diameter.
The second model was modified to eliminate these flaws, and was slightly larger than the original at 160 kilometers in diameter.
However, during its construction in orbit around Endor's forest moon, the Alliance succeeded in knocking out its primary shield and
destroyed the main reactor, exploding the unfinished station. The outer hull was made from quadanium steel for protection. For
defensive measures, the Death Star was to house 4 capital ships, 7,200 TIE fighters, 3,600 Lambda-class assault shuttles, 2,480 blast
boats, 1,860 drop ships, and 13,000 support craft. These included 1,400 AT-ATs, 1,400 AT-STs, 178 Mobile Command Bases, 1,420
repulsortanks, 1,420 repulsorcraft, 355 Floating Fortresses, and 4,843 Juggernauts.
The original Death Star had the following design features:
5 Access trenchs (2 at the poles, 2 midhemisphere, and 1 at the equator)
Surface City Blocks
Main Reactor Core with surrounding Power Cells
2 Ready Power Cells (midsection)
2 Hyperdrive Motivators, driven by 123 generators (midsection)
2 Sublight Drives (midsection)
2 Computer Cores
Deep Armory and Hangar Bays (bottom hemisphere)
Command Core (upper pole)
2 main Hangar Bays (upper pole and upper hemisphere)
Deep Storage Bays
Dry Bulk Storage Bays
Liquid Bulk Storage Bays
5,000 turbolaser batteries
5,000 heavy turbolaser batteries
2,500 laser cannons
2,500 ion cannons
768 tractor beam generators

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Yeah I am, Used to love Star Wars as a teenager, Pretty much grown out of it, but still got the Star Wars Encyclopedia in PDF on my PC for questions like these.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
haarewin said:
also, did Obi-Wan actually believe that Anakin was dead? Or did he know that he wasn't? you know, when he tells Luke that his father is dead.
and was that Senator Organa dude a Jedi too? I don't really know.

Obi-Wan tells Luke his father is dead because effectivly Anakin is dead. There is no Anakin after he turns to the dark side and is given his Sith name by his new master, only Darth Vader

Bail Organa isn't a Jedi, he is the Alderaan (sp?) system's representative in the Senate. He is suspicious of Palpatine and sympathetic to the Jedi. He is amongst the first "rebels". Remember there's quite a difference between the "separatists" and the "rebels".

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
So what was Palpatine looking at when Anakin interupted him,plans of the Death Star? Also was the volcano planet the resource for creating the Death Star as it looked that way to me?

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
Obi-Wan tells Luke his father is dead because effectivly Anakin is dead. There is no Anakin after he turns to the dark side and is given his Sith name by his new master, only Darth Vader

Bail Organa isn't a Jedi, he is the Alderaan (sp?) system's representative in the Senate. He is suspicious of Palpatine and sympathetic to the Jedi. He is amongst the first "rebels". Remember there's quite a difference between the "separatists" and the "rebels".

ah thanks for clearing that up :)

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
You do all know that there's going to be a Star Wars liveaction TV series (Not talking about clonewars animated series), that chronicles the period between ep 3 and 4, right?

Check: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4484915.stm

Rumors have tied Kevin Smith to the director's seat, but Lucas is remaining tight lipped.

It'll prolly be shite, but hey, at least we have more starwars to look forward to. :p

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
The one thing I particularly liked, was the transition of technology post Anakin to the 70's design. So retro. :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
nath said:
Yeah I think DaGaffer read me wrong - but what you said is exactly what I was asking about.

When you say inhabiting one of the clones - do you mean like possessing them or he just cloned himself so he could continue his dastardly deeds?

So has it always been known that the storm troopers in the original trilogy are clones? I know they mentioned the clone war in the originals but how much of the back story was already known and how much was written recently to fit in with the old ones?

Plus, eps 7, 8 and 9 - I understand that there's already stories out for them. Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order etc. Is this all fan fiction or did Lucas write it or what?
Either/or, more likely through mind control, using the clone to do his bidding on spec, or a full on clone he would use as a tool.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
nath said:
Yeah Jonny I didn't think that Lucas had written them but I did think that there was a 7, 8 and 9 out in book form written by other people...

Last rumour I heard was that the next episodes will be -2, -1 and 0, i.e. prequels.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
xane said:
Last rumour I heard was that the next episodes will be -2, -1 and 0, i.e. prequels.

if so would these be showing the orignal sith ? which where wiped out by the jedi if I remember ?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If the storyline of Knights of the Old Republic is to be believed then I doubt it since apparently they died out thousands of years prior to the setting of the game which is set thousands of years before the films.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
nath said:
If the storyline of Knights of the Old Republic is to be believed then I doubt it since apparently they died out thousands of years prior to the setting of the game which is set thousands of years before the films.

But the Sith must have risen again prior to Episode I, as Palpatine/Sideous talks of a Sith master killed by his apprentice (Plagueis, sp?), it seems clear this was Palpatine's master and he killed him.

The entire series is becoming a "rise and fall of the Sith".

xane

Fledgling Freddie
SawTooTH said:
Also was the volcano planet the resource for creating the Death Star as it looked that way to me?

The volcano planet (Mustafa) was where the separatist leaders were being held, Anakin/Vader went there to kill them as instructed and meets Obi-wan afterwards, Sideous rescues him and reconstructs him elsewhere, then it fast forwards to them watching the Death Star being built from a Star Destroyer command room, so there isn't a clear connection really.

TdC

it's entirely possible that there are lava refineries on the planet, or that the lava is a very pure molten metal of some sort. what's done with it is not made clear in the cinema version.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its entirely possible that this thread is becoming disturbingly geekish, and should be closed immediately.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
One question for all the storyline geeks out there ...

At the end of Episode III some rebel officer orders that C3PO, and possibly R2-D2, should be "wiped", thus obviously enabling them to transfer neatly to Episode IV not knowing anything about the history of Anakin/Vader, Padme, etc.

However, both droids end up in Leia's service, having obviously been transferred to the Organa houshold after Padme's death along with the baby, which is why Leia uses R2-D2 to store the Death Star plans at the beginning of Episode IV as they become her companions.

In Episodes V and VI, Anakin/Vader knows of Luke being his son, but is unaware of the twin sister Leia until right at the end of VI, however, seeing as he built C3PO and used R2-D2 as a constant companion during his Jedi training years, surely it was a bloody giveaway when he eventually knows they are with Leia and the Organa house ?

My personal opinion is that having C3PO, and R2-D2 to a lesser extent, in Episodes I to III was a bad idea, anyway

TdC

that rebel officer is a "Captain Antilles" who may well be a certain Wedge's dad :)

as to the droids, I seem to recall Vader saying at some point in either 4 or 5 that R2 or C3PO looked familiar but I may be mistaken.

I personally find that while R2 is fine, C3PO gets on my tits in e1 because I just do not believe that a child, however genius, van build a robot, let alone a protocol droid.

that said, the tech in SW seems very very modular. it's more a question of sticking things together like lego as oposed to fabricating a droid's brain. you could just get a droid brain of the protocol varient "off the rack" and shove it into a head.

in fact, I seem to recall the millenium falcon's hyperdrive computer being three droid (protocol or other) brains linked together. also, the R2 unit had a basic memory capable of storing something like 6 pre-determined hyperdrive routes along with astro-navigation and spaceflight capabilities. both R2 and 3PO can pilot starships, though it seems 3PO had to "learn" this ability.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
xane said:
One question for all the storyline geeks out there ...

However, both droids end up in Leia's service, having obviously been transferred to the Organa houshold after Padme's death along with the baby, which is why Leia uses R2-D2 to store the Death Star plans at the beginning of Episode IV as they become her companions.

nah, that's not correct - they weren't in Leia's service, they were based on the the Tantive IV - the blockade runner seen at the end of epIII and start of epIV - C3P0 actually says "our last master was Captain Antilles" in A New Hope. Leia puts the Death Star plans into R2D2 because it's her only option. The blockade runner itself was in the service of Senator Organa, so its not too much of a stretch that she'd run in to these droids on the ship, but personally I still think it was Lucas shoehorning some fan pleasing characters into eps I, II, III and then digging himself out of a hole rather than than decent scriptwriting. NB. No particular reason why Vader would recognise them later, they're only droids after all...

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
xane said:
The volcano planet (Mustafa) was where the separatist leaders were being held, Anakin/Vader went there to kill them as instructed and meets Obi-wan afterwards, Sideous rescues him and reconstructs him elsewhere, then it fast forwards to them watching the Death Star being built from a Star Destroyer command room, so there isn't a clear connection really.

Thats true but what else were they doing there. Looks like a lot of ore being processed for something. Also the droid factories had been closed down yet they were still hard at it, refining.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
But the Sith must have risen again prior to Episode I, as Palpatine/Sideous talks of a Sith master killed by his apprentice (Plagueis, sp?), it seems clear this was Palpatine's master and he killed him.

The entire series is becoming a "rise and fall of the Sith".
Again, if KotOR is to be believed then when they refer to Sith they don't mean *real* Sith. As I understand it, real Sith were a species - probably evil and particularly powerful in the force. Any Sith in the current films, and even in KotOR are "followers of an ideal/way of thinking".

xane

Fledgling Freddie
SawTooTH said:
Thats true but what else were they doing there. Looks like a lot of ore being processed for something. Also the droid factories had been closed down yet they were still hard at it, refining.

According to my google-ing and wiki'ing, the Death Star was actually built at the prison planet called Despayre, which, on completion, became it's first target, although I thought this was Alderaan as shown in Episode IV.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well that was better than I expected, although it still left me feeling something was missing. Anakin's demise to the dark side was just childish, there wasnt any subtelty at all.

Vae

Resident Freddy
TdC said:
that rebel officer is a "Captain Antilles" who may well be a certain Wedge's dad :)

Nope Wedge's parents ran a fueling station which was blown up by imperials so I'm afraid there's no connection with Captain Antilles of the Tantive IV

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom