Star Wars: Episode 3

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
It was ok, some parts were pretty good fun, and the last 15-20 minutes were quite moving. But:

Fastest pregnancy evah!
Not really.

Why didn't Obi Wan finish him off? Is he the next Bond villain ffs?
Pity?

Why not leave a hint of a few Jedi survivors? In ep4 I remember someone saying "the last of the Jedi are dead" or something
Well, there are two of 'em.

If thats George Lucas's idea of 'dark', he must live in the clouds

well chopping someone's legs and arm off and watching him fry in lava is pretty fucking 'dark' where I come from. I've obviously led a sheltered life!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
DaGaffer said:
Anyway - once his mates were dead, his wife (and he assumes kid) were dead, and he was in the suit, "carrying on being Darth Vader" was pretty much his only option.

Yes, like i Wij i did think "why carry on as Darth?" But when you realise that everything has turned to shit and you have nothing left, what choice do you have when you're a skin scorched, para robot limbed mongo? Additionally, finding out about Padme probably cemented his journey towards the dark side.

Another reason might be:

There were hints of Anakin wanting to overthrow the Emperor when he tried to convince Padme to join him and to become more powerful than the Emperor, ruling the galaxy. This is echoed in Episode 5 when Vader tells Luke that they can defeat the Emperor and "rule the galaxy as father and son". Clearly, Vader hates Palpatine like he hated Obi-Wan (both masters at one time or another), but perhaps it's easiest to appease Palpatine and be his right hand man, staying close and overthrowing him at the right moment. In Episode 6, in essence Vader returns to good and does overthrow Palpatine; shame he got electrified and died.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
On a related issue, has Old Grey beared confirmed yet if he is/isnt doing Episodes 7,8 & 9 at all ? It was said that there was 9 chapters in the whole series. I am sure in an interview Lucas said there was only 6

nath

Fledgling Freddie
There are 9 episodes (afaik) but Lucas said he won't do any more. I believe this to be a lie.

Did anyone else expect Padme to survive? I know that Leia is adopted but when Luke asks about her mum she says she remembers her as being sad - I just figured that'd be Padme. Plus, what about that bit with Yoda mentioning Qui Gon Jin? That seemed a bit tacked on, I assume it was to explain Obiwan's ability to stay on as a ghost after he's killed by Vader in 4 but it seemed a little shoddy tbh.

As for Tom's comment - well, I'm about as fucked up and deranged as they come and I thought the film was reasonably dark - especially for a 12a. Although I'm mainly thinking of Anakins flambé

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Double posting lameness!

I vaguely remember Sar mentioning that Sideous != Palpatine. What's that about then, eh?

leggy

Probably Scottish
I have to agree with Wij's frakenstein's monster comment.

On the whole this was one of the most boring films I have had the misfortune to sit through.

This quote is quite apt I feel:

robot: "She has lost the will to live"

Pretty much how I felt by that point.

DaGaffer

nath said:
Double posting lameness!

I vaguely remember Sar mentioning that Sideous != Palpatine. What's that about then, eh?

Did anyone still not know this? I've always found this quite odd (Empire magazine were coyly describing the 'connection' in this month's issue), as, in Return of The Jedi in the credits he's clearly called
Emporer Palpitine
, which is a bit of a giveaway tbh.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I just thought I'd say you're all tools for watching this. Quit whining.

DaGaffer

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Now fuck off.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
DaGaffer said:
Thanks for the constructive criticism. Now fuck off.

What he said, although i was too chicken to post it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Mazling said:
I just thought I'd say you're all tools for watching this. Quit whining.

Thats a useful comment. Its useful because it demonstrates how ignorant you are.

To conclude, bog off.

Ono

Part of the furniture
I enjoyed the film having watched it at my local cinema today.

The descent of Anakin to Darth Vader was reasonably well done. Anakin really is unstable and the "Code 66" plan was really sad to watch.

As far as Padme suriving because Leia remembers her - it will be because the Skywalkers have special Jedi abilities with dreams I reckon.

Only bit that was poor IMHO was the newly resurrected Darth Vader yelling "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!11111". That was just did not suit his demeanour from Episodes 4-6.

Vaas Harkonnen

Fledgling Freddie
now the sith have their revenge, i loved the movie :worthy:

i hope the incoming new starwars series are good too. :cheers:

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
I saw it this afternoon and although not being a Starwars man and thus having plenty of scope for moan e.g.
as above I found that bit with Darth Vader roaring "Nooooo (etc)" to be utter swaggery not to mention the whole retrospective 'correction' of spaceships/places etc which seemed to make no sense, like that shuttle the emperor picks Anakin up in (after he's been toasted). Looks like they just took off the top wing from the shuttle in RoTJ for no reason other than to have some kinda anachronistic continuity with the later film
It passed the time reasonably enough.

I guess, if you liked the previous films you'll love this one, although given that it's half way reasonable it does make you wonder what the fuck Lucas was thinking when he made Episodes 1 & 2 (aside from the merch, natch).

The trailer for Sin City on the other hand looked grand beyond words...

nath

Fledgling Freddie
DaGaffer said:
Did anyone still not know this? I've always found this quite odd (Empire magazine were coyly describing the 'connection' in this month's issue), as, in Return of The Jedi in the credits he's clearly called ... which is a bit of a giveaway tbh.

Yeah it's obvious that Darth Sideous = Emperor Palpatine, but afair Sar said that they were not the same person and that if you'd read some of the books and new some back story you'd understand why. From the film it seemed to confirm the obvious - that sideous was palpatine all along. Just wanted to know what he meant.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Saw this last night. The first hour and a half were the most boring 90 minutes of my life. The rest was alright I guess, still enjoyed Revolutions far more.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just saw it with the kids - the pace of the film is good with plenty of action, and yes a couple of silly bits but overall I really enjoyed it alot :)

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
I thought it was great. It's worth buying when it gets released on dvd :)

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
Well i fucking loved it*, but then I'm a massive star wars fanboy.

*apart from the Nooooooooo

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
No dressing up (I'm not that far gone), though we saw the first showing in Guildford at 12:30am and they had a Storm Trooper on the door checking tickets, that was pretty cool. There were a couple dressed up as Jedi when I saw it again on Friday too. Plus a kid in one of those mini-Darth Vader outfits, poor bugger.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Was surprisingly good, I even enjoyed the Pantomime "Nooooo!". I liked the dark imagery, and had to catch my breath a couple of times with what they depicted. Glad I didn't take my niece, she would have been scared to bits.

Oh, and it's so much better than Matrix II or III that it's not even funny.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
much better than the episode 1, a little bit better than episode 2. still no where as good as the empire strikes back, but it was a damn good film. one of the best ive seen in a long time.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Turamber said:
Was surprisingly good, I even enjoyed the Pantomime "Nooooo!".
Oh, and it's so much better than Matrix II or III that it's not even funny.

You expect me to value your opinion after you've said you enjoyed the NOOOOO!???

Please, get a clue.

Sar

Part of the furniture
DaGaffer said:
Did anyone still not know this? I've always found this quite odd (Empire magazine were coyly describing the 'connection' in this month's issue), as, in Return of The Jedi in the credits he's clearly called
Emporer Palpitine
, which is a bit of a giveaway tbh.

Yes. Chancellor Palpatine is obviously EMPEROR PALPATINE, everyone knows that (hence the lack of spoilers in this sentence).

That wasn't what I said though. I had said (iirc) that Darth Sideous wasn't necessarily Palpatine.

If you know anything about the expanded universe of SW, you'll know that Palps actually survives RoTJ for many years later by inhabiting one of a succession of his numerous clones. There was talk in some places (can't remember where now) that Sideous was in fact one of these clones, that Palpatine was using to conduct his shadier dealings, to lessen the chances of being caught out as a norty boy.

That, obviously wasn't the case though, and Lucas just decided to keep it nice 'n simple.

:)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I think DaGaffer read me wrong - but what you said is exactly what I was asking about.

When you say inhabiting one of the clones - do you mean like possessing them or he just cloned himself so he could continue his dastardly deeds?

So has it always been known that the storm troopers in the original trilogy are clones? I know they mentioned the clone war in the originals but how much of the back story was already known and how much was written recently to fit in with the old ones?

Plus, eps 7, 8 and 9 - I understand that there's already stories out for them. Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order etc. Is this all fan fiction or did Lucas write it or what?

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
Gah. This stuff about there being 9 finished stories in a safe somewhere in Skywalker Ranch (and that there has been for many years) is utter, utter bullshit and playground urban mythology of the highest order.

Lucas renamed Star Wars to Ep 4 like, a year after its release. He's written these prequels as he's made them, there was no overall grand plan.

Let me guess, is the book 7 you've heard of called "The Revenge of Boba Fett"? Where he pulls himself out of the slarlacc, builds an epic army and goes after Skywalker etc? God that sounded so hot when I was at school but now...even if that was true (and it ain't) it sounds soooo lame.

The stories do continue - but in other forms (extended universe novels mostly), and it's relatively well known what happens -
Han and Leia marry and I believe have two Jedi children, Luke goes evil, blah blah

I'm not saying he won't make three more - but these "9 books" don't exist.

----

As for my opinion on Ep3 I thought it was fucking great (and I hated I and II). Couple of really bad moments (Anakin and Padme's Hallmark-esque "I love you more" conversation and the Noooooo) but overall it was great.

DaGaffer

Sar said:
Yes. Chancellor Palpatine is obviously EMPEROR PALPATINE, everyone knows that (hence the lack of spoilers in this sentence).

That wasn't what I said though. I had said (iirc) that Darth Sideous wasn't necessarily Palpatine.

If you know anything about the expanded universe of SW, you'll know that Palps actually survives RoTJ for many years later by inhabiting one of a succession of his numerous clones. There was talk in some places (can't remember where now) that Sideous was in fact one of these clones, that Palpatine was using to conduct his shadier dealings, to lessen the chances of being caught out as a norty boy.

That, obviously wasn't the case though, and Lucas just decided to keep it nice 'n simple.

:)

Yeah, I knew all that, I've read 'Dark Empire' too :) - but as you point out all that happens after ROTJ, there's no logic that he'd have clones of himself running around beforehand - these are film scripts designed for 12 year-olds after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom