Film Star Trek

Damini

Part of the furniture
I loved this film. Loved it. The humour, the characters, the spectacle, the casting (adore Anton Yelchin ever since seeing him in Alpha Dog), everything about the film was a breath of fresh air.

MOAR!

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
Just got back from seeing it and thought it was awesome. Having never been a trekkie, but am a huge Sci Fi fan this ticked all my boxes. I was really expecting Simon Pegg to be rubbish, I couldn't see how he would fit into the role....but then he really surprised me and did stupendously well, I would have loved to see more of him. All the cast, without exception, were fab, even Winona Ryder's and Cameron from House's cameo.
Wow....really, just brilliant.

(though the lens flare was irritating!)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Avoided this thread until I'd seen it. Every time I was supposed to see it something came up or work interfered etc. Finally got to the cinema this afternoon with She Who Must Be Adored.

This is such a good film. Great cast, great look, good story. Nice twist on the old franchise and with the alternate reality stuff they have an excuse now to legitimately do whatever they want should they follow it up. They really have opened it up to be whatever they choose without the restrictions of sticking to franchise canon.

As many others have said, Simon Pegg was completely standout brilliant. Zachary Quinto fills Leanord Nimoy's boots perfectly. Bruce Greenwood is always good and was great as Captain Pike. As soon as you saw the guy in the red uniform/spacesuit, you knew he was toast, it was just a question of how he would check out but they kept you wondering if he would survive because it really looked like he just might make it :D

I know James Doohan's son was in there somewhere too but I couldn't tell you at what bit.

I wonder how many Trekkies would have given their left testicle to be in that scene towards the end in Starfleet Academy with the crowd.

Yeh, there were a few logic holes but nothing that spoiled it overall.

Two thumbs way way up :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
it was just a question of how he would check out but they kept you wondering if he would survive because it really looked like he just might make it :D
LOL, no they didn't. As soon as you heard him say kicking butt you knew he was deader than the grim reaper himself.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Oh and one more thing - ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING LENS FLARE! Anyone watching again, see if you can count the shots that *don't* have some sort of lens flare in it, I expect you won't run out of fingers or toes.
Welcome to a J.J.Abrams film!
You can't help but notice that most of his productions have over-use of lens-flares. "Fringe" took it to extremes but at least it serves a purpose on that show (possible change in reality, something being "observed").

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Saw it on Friday.

Loved it, first film I have seen ages I have generally enjoyed on every level.
The casting was brillant and I do like the way it has distanced itself away from the main story. I was talking to trekkie mate of mine and didnt like the the way the timeline was handled but I was thinking that the TV and Film timelines tend to be different from each other.

well recommend to anybody.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
Finally!! got to see this on saturday and franky im a bit pissed off, pissed off that didnt get to see it sooner OMG it was fantastic! the first scene almost had me choking with kirks dad after that it just got better

what i really really loved about this is just how similar the crew seemed to be to the originals i could picture everyone cept mebbe scotty as they would be 5-6 years hence etc they all pulled off their characters flawlessly in my eyes that alone made me love this film.

i like what they have done splitting it off into an alternate timeline frankly star trek as an entity was getting very very stale and enterprise all but killed it off. this gave the show i much needed boost and will capture the hearts and imaginations of not just current trekkies but hopefully a whole new bunch of em :)

honestly if i was a critic i would give this movie 10/10 it did it for me on every level i actually want to go see it again as soon as possible

yes for the record i am a huge trek fan =)

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Does Kirk still have a yeoman (PA type crew person) in this film? Either I've missed it or they've casted a man.

Janice was hot :(

Kryten

Old Cow.
Very thoroughly enjoyed this film. The casting was probably the best achievable, at some points making it feel like it was taking us back to the 60's with the younger original crew. The tiny little character traits such as raised eyebrows, mannerisms in walking and stance, obvious attitude and personalities etc. Without having been given names, it'd be very easy to see who was who (granted with some, Sulu, Chekov it's a bit obvious) - and Chekov's accent was worse than the russian bint from the Easter Red Dwarf episodes, but was still great to watch. Even right at the end when Kirk goes to sit on the captains chair, he turns around with back to camera and it actually looks like a young Shatner.
The story otherwise was good, as touched upon it opens up a completely new timeline, "undoing" what has been done in previous episodes and films leaving them open to move forward without rewriting the same stories or treading on other's toes. And I think we're just about all getting absolutely fucking fed up with re-writes, so a thumbs up there :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Loved it. Was never a big 'Trek fan, but I just loved this film, and the characters. Spock was excellently played imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom