Film Star Trek

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Well fuck me. It was really rather good! Internally consistent plot (mostly), good, well acted villian, fresh new takes on iconic characters that actually work (particularly Simon Pegg but they were all pretty good), great action (a bit "busy" in the modern style but it worked), lots of references and in-jokes for the fanbois.

The only duff note MAJOR SPOILER
Ensign to Captain in one mission? Too fucking silly for words

Overall, 8/10.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Saw it tonight too, was surprisingly enjoyable!

Very silly of course, but in a good way

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Really impressed with it, not sure how it will translate if you are not into trek. The reworking of the original characters was great. Bones was by far the best. Plot was solid, they got around the problem posed by years of inconsistent story lines and continuity very well. Action and special effects were top notch.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Good news ECA! No dolphins were harmed in the making of this movie!

Seriously, they turn the clock back, do not take them selves to seriously. It's as good as a Trek movie has been since the wrath of khan.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I'd go one further and say its the best trek movie ever made.
Thought the Enterprise was great and loved the going to warp effects and Zachary Quinto's Spock was nothing short of brilliant.

I hope the cast all sign up for another movie :clap:

Kryten

Old Cow.
Ooh, think I might have to go see that. Any cinema's in Newquay? :)

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I did wonder...

Where were all the older ships/crew? Surely they dont hand the brand new flagship over to a full crew of graduates!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I did wonder...

Where were all the older ships/crew? Surely they dont hand the brand new flagship over to a full crew of graduates!

I think we're supposed to think the Enterprise had just been commissioned and wasn't yet crewed when it was needed in the emergency, and the rest of the fleet was elsewhere, hence all the cadets. It was particularly weird when Scotty arrived and immediately took over. What happened to the existing Chief Engineer? I'm deliberately trying not to think about stuff like that though, after all if you go down that road, what are the odds of exactly the same bridge crew being on the Enterprise in an alternate universe that split off from the original 25 years earlier? Infinity to one, but we'll live with it because it works for the story, and Spock's Sherlock Holmes quote covers that kind of thing nicely anyway :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
So no Robert April and Christopher Pike ?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I'm going to watch this tonight so not read any of this thread apart from replying to it!

Can't wait!

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
What happened to the existing Chief Engineer?

Wasn't the guy "with the charges" who dived into the laser the engineer?

But you're right, let's not let a few logical inconsistencies ruin an otherwise good movie :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Rulke

The rest of the fleet was in a different system, in an engagement with the Klingons I believe, hence the cadets and teachers from the academy crewing the 7 ships they had.

The red shirt dying on the space jump was classic, the shot you saw with them sitting down in the shuttle, he was the only one in red, he made the comment about kicking Romulan arse, and he had the charges, you knew he was a dead man.

The space battles were the best attempted in star trek since ds9, and I thought they adopted a bsg style to the space bits, the sound effects for warp and the battles were great.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah the space battles were deffo better than the traditional Star Trek:

Fire phasers!

<pew>

Fire phasers, again!

<pew>

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Absolutely brilliant - enjoyed every second of it and it's well worth a watch.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I actually LEGALLY watched this last night (Advanced Screenings 4tw) awesome movie. Loved some of the quotes in it.

Occam's razor 4tw!

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
im dying to see this movie just havent got the time at the moment so please no one do any major spoilers outside of spoiler tags :D cos i cant keep away from a thread with star trek in it lol

seriously i saw the trailer for this when i went to see monsters v aliens 3D and it blew me away i was sat there giggling to myself gonna have to drag teh Girlfriend along with me to see it! even she said it looks good and she hates sci fi!

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Im going to see it tomorrow and I am not going to get excited or else I will probably be disappointed.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I broke my vow never to go to the cinema again, and I wasn't disappointed. I saw it on an IMAX screen and it was pretty good. Not as good as some other Trek films, but still worth watching.

I did think it was a bit 'Lost in Space' though.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
That was really very good. You have to suspend disbelief a bit and not get stressed looking for 'serious science fiction' but it has made me feel like I was nine again just after watching Star Wars at the cinema.

Gotta see it again now :D

JBP|

Part of the furniture
A fascinating reply tom, i'd be quite interested to see how you rank all the trek movies from best to worst, if you care to take up that challenge? ;)

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
awesome movie. most of the actors were excellent, simon pegg stole the show. Chris Pine is in for a big career. would definately recomend it,

Turamber

Part of the furniture
A fascinating reply tom, i'd be quite interested to see how you rank all the trek movies from best to worst,

I'll leave that for Tom but I didn't think it was good as Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country or First Contact. It had more in common with The Voyage Home with its light, comedic touch.

Special effects were a mile better than all of them, though. Plus the nurses uniforms were a big hit with my friends ;)

/geek

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I really enjoyed this film! It was excellent! I thought they captured the essence of the TV series characters really well!
I took the wife along with me and she enjoyed it too! Which was a surprise since she isnt a sci fi fan!

I'll deffo go if the same people make another one! Or maybe a high budget TV series...hmmmm

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I'm a sci fi fan but have never got round to watching any Star Trek. Would this be a worthwile introduction to the Trekky universe?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm a sci fi fan but have never got round to watching any Star Trek. Would this be a worthwile introduction to the Trekky universe?

Yes, although there are injokes, in the main it gives you a fresh insight into the characters from the original series. The plot is designed to be easy to follow if you have never seen trek before in your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom