Film Star Trek

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A fascinating reply tom, i'd be quite interested to see how you rank all the trek movies from best to worst, if you care to take up that challenge? ;)

That would require a lot of thought, but 6 is probably my favourite, followed closely by 2 and 3 (its a very moving film IMO) then this new one, then 8, then 1, and the rest all come tumbling in a pile.

I also liked Insurrection though, although many people hated it.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Yes, although there are injokes, in the main it gives you a fresh insight into the characters from the original series. The plot is designed to be easy to follow if you have never seen trek before in your life.

Cheers, I'll try to make time to go see it then.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
That would require a lot of thought, but 6 is probably my favourite, followed closely by 2 and 3 (its a very moving film IMO) then this new one, then 8, then 1, and the rest all come tumbling in a pile.

I also liked Insurrection though, although many people hated it.

Wrath Of Khan is the only REALLY good one. 4 is funny but kinda naff. Anything without the orignal cast sucks arse.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Didn't get that but Google took me to Memory Alpha.

You are too sad Tom :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I knew it straight away too, and tbh didn't even rate that ep :/

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
first contact is still my favourite, the borg just kick ass, this would be a close second. i couldnt get into the old series and havent seen any of the old films, might invest a bit of time on them now though

Turamber

Part of the furniture
the borg just kick ass

They did -- unfortunately they got done to death on Voyager, they are about as scary as pink elephants now. If you like some action in your Star Trek, though, you should definitely try Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
*claps*

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Infact, I think it's best described as "wonderful"

Bahumat

FH is my second home
They paid hommage(sp?) with all the little things they did/said. I just wished they'd used the original music for the credits :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
first contact is still my favourite, the borg just kick ass, this would be a close second. i couldnt get into the old series and havent seen any of the old films, might invest a bit of time on them now though

What turamber said, the Borg were made too weak, First Contact tried hard but it was still lacking. That and Nemesis were the best of the new trek movies though.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Have to disagree with you there ch3t, Nemesis was a dire film, worse than Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Having said that Generations was clearly the worst of the eleven films.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I only meant that First Contact and Nemesis were better out of the films with the next gen crew. Insurrections and Generations were god awful.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
think the only star trek film never really enjoyed was the final frontier just seemed a bit too well crap honestly generations wasnt too bad nemesis was pants.

think my favourite tho is between first contact and the voyage home wrath of khan is very good tho just not my fav

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Star Trek V is probably one of the worst films ever committed to celuloid. God lives at the centre of the universe and needs a spaceship? O RLY.

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
Star Trek V is probably one of the worst films ever committed to celuloid. God lives at the centre of the universe and needs a spaceship? O RLY.

LOL - havent seen it but god it sounds like a shocker

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Generations was god awful. Anything with a Guinan related story usually is.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
It's not out over here yet. I'm no star trek fan, and I probably won't watch it, however it's supposed to be really good. 96% of the reviews from the states has been positive, and that's a lot. It seems like most people in here agrees with the reviews for ones :)

Star Trek Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

in comparison, the new wolverine crap has 37% positive reviews.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The "true" trekkers over at the Star Trek Online forum are blowing hot and cold about it. Most think it's the shot in the arm that the franchise needed while a vocal minority are mewling about how it doesn't tie in with TNG, DS9 VOY etc.

It's definitely a good fun film in it's own right. It needed more Simon Pegg/Scotty tbh...
"I never beamed three people from two targets onto one pad before!"

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Personally I was just glad that Kirk was, as Eddie Murphy would say, 'fuckin a green bitch'

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Most think it's the shot in the arm that the franchise needed while a vocal minority are mewling about how it doesn't tie in with TNG, DS9 VOY etc.

And that clean slate that stops the tie-ins is exactly why it has been a success. My mate moaned rotten about it, but he still sat through it. Some people cannot accept when something new is good, they do not like change, and they cannot admit when something is good when it does not conform to their ideas. Sc-fi fans seem to be made up almost soley of people like this.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Its because they become too fanatical about it....being that into something is never a good thing

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well I just got back from seeing this.

I couldn't help but feel that this film defined itself by trying to not be defined by the other Treks. It's like every other scene in the second/third act was "look, it's a new universe now! As a result it feels like the attempt to break away from the old universe defeated the point of trying to break away from the old universe. I think it would have just been more straightforward to not fuck with the timeline but create a new story that fits.

Oh and one more thing - ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING LENS FLARE! Anyone watching again, see if you can count the shots that *don't* have some sort of lens flare in it, I expect you won't run out of fingers or toes.

All that said, I thought it was entertaining enough, the first act being the best.

rynnor

Rockhound
I thought it was good - I'd pay money to see more like it tbh.

Most of the previous films were crap compared to the series - much of that due to letting the stars direct themselves which is an awful idea.

taB

Part of the furniture
It was a fun film. I do find the whole "time travel to get enemies better than the ones we fought last time" thing a bit tiresome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom