Speed awareness course..

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
So ive got one on friday, cos apparently i need it ;)

anyone been to one* ? what does it entail etc :(

*refuse to believe none of you have;)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Got stopped for speeding in Cornwall on the A30 near Bodmin in the summer. Gave the copper my UAE driving license and he threw it back at me asking if I was f'in joking. Got away with it as he could not be arsed to do the paperwork :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just out of curiosity; is this course part of rregular drivers exam?

If not then...the f*ck? :p

Mabs

Just out of curiosity; is this course part of rregular drivers exam?

If not then...the f*ck? :p

got caught speeding, points on license, or a "im so sorry, and now im a better person" course :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeh i figured as much, just was curious on if it's part of a regular drivers test as it should be :p

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Sounds like you are proud that you speed...

Poag

m00?
Yeh i figured as much, just was curious on if it's part of a regular drivers test as it should be :p
You'll fail the tets if you speed during the examination. So yes..but no.

Yes you get busted for speeding, no its not the same exact course.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Unless you're the type of weirdo that sits there doing 70 down the M1 then everyone speeds at some point or another. Add to that the sometimes retarded speed restraints, that often change every few hundred metres on the same road anyway, its so easy to get bashed for it.

There is a duel carriageway near me that is generally a 60 but inexplicably drops to a 40 for about 500 metres then back up to 60. Its straight with no footpaths, no bridges, no junctions. I am fairly sure it is there to top up the speeding ticket income now and again.

What sort of road was it? We need to judge you!

Mabs

i got done for doing 47 in a variable 40mph roadworks on the M5 outside bristol if you must know :p

im not "proud" of it, but its the first time ive been done in 16 years of driving , so fuck em ;)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I'm not 'proud' that I speed, but I freely admit that I do because neither am I ashamed.

Conceded. Ignore me i am a crabby fucker this morning.

I guess the context matters.

If your doing 70 in a urban 30 zone... Your a cunt.

If your doing 80 on a motorway through those retarded "smart" cameras... Fuck em.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You'll fail the tets if you speed during the examination. So yes..but no.

Yes you get busted for speeding, no its not the same exact course.

Ta, just seemed weird that you get put into a speed awareness course only after you mess up and not during the "training". Though i guess these days anyone can get a lisence by farting in the general direction of a car :p

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I got done doing 36 in a 30 zone a few years back. Tried to appeal/get a speed awareness course instead of points and a fine but because the useless cunts at the CPS took a month plus to reply to each of my letters, they then decided the incident had happened too long ago for me to do the course. Cunts.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I got done doing 36 in a 30 zone a few years back. Tried to appeal/get a speed awareness course instead of points and a fine but because the useless cunts at the CPS took a month plus to reply to each of my letters, they then decided the incident had happened too long ago for me to do the course. Cunts.
"He probably forgot how to speed, so let's stick him with a fine"

Sounds mildly retarded tbh

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Conceded. Ignore me i am a crabby fucker this morning.

I guess the context matters.

If your doing 70 in a urban 30 zone... Your a cunt.

You wouldn't get a speed awareness course for that.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
i got done for doing 47 in a variable 40mph roadworks on the M5 outside bristol if you must know :p

im not "proud" of it, but its the first time ive been done in 16 years of driving , so fuck em ;)

Variable speed limits and average speed zones at road works are evil. Unlucky.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
The course is really good, actually enjoyed it and learned a lot from it.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The course is really good, actually enjoyed it and learned a lot from it.
Like what? Speed is bad. Speed in bad weather is worse. Stopping distances I crease with speed. Thinking distance plus stopping distance?

That its a contributory factor in x number of crashes. Well. Tbh 100% crashes cause if you weren't movie you wouldn't crash lol

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Been on one..quite good..just explains the dangers and why speed limits are there...usually 50..but drop to 40 if the road has accidents..the thing I asked is wether it effects my insurance..they said no but recently people have had theirs raised after telling the insurance company..very grey area as it always is with insurance twats...all very loose language till you make a claim then nail you to the small print.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I asked is wether it effects my insurance..they said no but recently people have had theirs raised after telling the insurance company..very grey area as it always is with insurance twats...all very loose language till you make a claim then nail you to the small print.

Insurance companies are bastards. The whole idea of these courses were that they would be used for low level offences, those that the vast majority f drivers might commit at one time or another, but rarely get caught. One force quotes the ranges that they allow on their courses as 10% +2mph of the posted limit (this is the ACPO recommended minimum speed to prosecute at) up to 7mph above that. i.e. for a 30mph zone you would be offered a course if you were caught between 35mph and 42mph. If you were on a motorway the range would be 79-86mph.

The thinking was that for these lower level offences the awareness course would offer education without the huge penalty that points/fine and increased insurance premiums inevitably bring, and for quite a while that was the case, but some insurance companies are now increasing the premiums for people who have attended them, and apparently the police and safety groups are really pissed off about it as it is a disincentive to people to go on the course.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So ive got one on friday, cos apparently i need it ;)

anyone been to one* ? what does it entail etc :(

*refuse to believe none of you have;)
The wife has done one, golden rule is do not be a smart arse as they can kick you of the course and you'll be straight into points. Be on time, do what you're told, keep your head down and get it over with.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
The wife has done one, golden rule is do not be a smart arse as they can kick you of the course and you'll be straight into points. Be on time, do what you're told, keep your head down and get it over with.
You're married?!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I did one of these courses, it was a waste of time, but got me off 3 points so happy days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom