Some servers commng up !

snushanen

Fledgling Freddie
Cathos said:
well seems everyone gets so pissed off cos the patch takes 1 day out their 1 month subs , sounds totally stupid to me tbh , if you don't like them adding stuff in ( which does take up time ) then i suggest you either

A) go play a new game which doesn't involve patches.
B) go play a console

cos tbh whinging on a public forum cos you can't play ( like everyone is else ) is a tad annoying for those who don't mind the downtime.

totaly agree

I guess there are lot of people thinking that patching a mmorpg server takes the same time as downloading the patch-files and hit the "start server " button , i dont know how they do it in details but i would guess it takes some time . And if they must dealy it because of a mistake thats understandable because one thing is to run a lot of test simulations , and one thing is to do it on a server witch may not respond/behave like their tests did. If people like NASA sometimes do mistakes that fecks up their space launches , you cant expext mmorpg servers to be 100 % technical perfect :p

Cathos

Fledgling Freddie
well i'd pick A) and say well goodluck with fixing it and let me know when it's up and running , poeple have to except the fact that nothing is perfect , things break down things do go wrong but to moan on about how shit it is when it's broken isn't gonna fix it is it?

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Imo rather check everything twice - I wouldn't be any happy of another Prydwen crisis...

Tractartus

Fledgling Freddie
Gear said:
OK, so I'm not gonna give an example from a business side of things but from a client side.
They should have at the very least say that it will last all day. Bad communication anyone?

They had a problem, they are trying to fix it, they don't know what time it will be fixed, they hope tonight, they posted when they knew what was happening.

Sounds fine to me.

You seem to want them to have an Uber-Ball-of-Knowing - must be great in your business, when you can exactly point to when a problem gets solved. And if you are in a lucky business that can do that- nice for you. GoA aren't in that position though so you aren't comparing like with like.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Gear said:
OK, so I'm not gonna give an example from a business side of things but from a client side.

You pay for your cable tv on a flat rate regardless the usage, something like daoc. Something goes down and there is no support. The supervisor you eventually reach on the phone tells you "well, it's only this one time in a month that we have a problem"

A) You accept it as a valid excuse?

B) You're not accepting it as it affects your statutory rights as a customer.

General Conditions said:
GOA will do their best to make your Player Account accessible permanently, except for interruptions required for technical and maintenance operations necessary for the a game like DAOC and referred to in article 1.

There are your statutory rights as a customer.

Gear said:
I was doing something else but stupid me came home early. They should have at the very least say that it will last all day. Bad communication anyone?

News from two occasions today where we warned that the patch would take longer than normal. Yes I know the website has been hard to reach today however both of these pieces of news have been reposted several times on forums including this one.

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
Well said Req - plenty of info on this one - they learning :) - cmon peeps its patch day - not some strange unknown DB corruption - they got all the servers to patch and test b4 letting us on :)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Unbelievable.

GOA finally get their act together and give us mulitple patches in one go so we are almost caught up to ths US servers (something we have wanted for years) and all people can do is moan because the downtime is a bit longer than usual?

Proof positive some people will always find something to moan about, no matter what. Thankfully all their rage is contained in one thread which no-one cares about and which will be forgotten come tomorrow.

http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/john-hodge.html

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
News from two occasions today where we warned that the patch would take longer than normal. Yes I know the website has been hard to reach today however both of these pieces of news have been reposted several times on forums including this one.

Not gonna knock the downtime, since I am sure you're all trying. And it's nice that the website was updated with info a few times.

However, you're misrepresenting the situation a bit in your response to Gear. What actually happened was you said "It'll be up in the afternoon" then "Late afternoon" then "Evening."

As I sit here with evening clearly turned into night, I am wondering whether we'll get another post soon saying "tomorrow". If the servers won't be back until tomorrow, I hope we DO get that post, since the alternative is people hanging out on the servers coming back up any minute.

E_E

Loyal Freddie
So requil, can u give us a hint when the servers about to come up? ;)

Jolo

Fledgling Freddie
Don't take this the wrong way from either side of this discussion, but....

....out of interest.....

Has anybody got a record from way back when, of published / expected patch times vs actual downtimes?

I always defend DAoC downtimes - especially as we get them less often than other MMORPG's - can someone back me up here with the actual figures?

J :drink:

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
o m f g..
Seriously..

Goa are doing there best to get things up, and im 100% sure in the future this will happen.

Random guy A: " OMGZ MATEZ GIVF CLUZTERRRR!!! :( "
Random guy b: "Yeh we waited sooo longz :("..

**Days later**

"Camelot mainpage: We are happy to announce that cluser will be coming on tuesday, as usual servers will be down on the morning, and if all things go well.. back up in the evening."

**Random A checks camelot Homepage**

Random A: "OMFGZ!!!! CLUSTERZZ COMING!!!!!11111"
Random b: "FinallyY!!!!! we wait so long!!!"

**Goa work hard in getting server back up, And have been doing so for 5 hours straight**

**Random A comes on FH and writes...**

OMFGZ MAN!!!! goaz madez me waitz all day ffs lolorolfolololol!!!! they cant do servers QQ !!!!
OMG GOA SUCK, THEY ARE SO STUPID .. I DONTEVEN WANT CLUSTER .. JUST GIVE ME PRYDWEN BACK UP I WANT TO GO FARM BARROWZZ!!!!!!

As you can tell i was very bored, and just think all this QQ is PATHETIC :>

keep up good job goa!

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
There are your statutory rights as a customer.

First of all regarding your on-site communication is cleary faulty, and that has been proven as even in France it's 10:30 pm at the moment and cannot be considered as evening no matter how you put it.

My statutory rights as a customer is not something you as a provider alone define, there are legal restrictions you have to abide with. The fact that noone is prosecuting someone over a computer game, doesn't mean that you're on the right side, check that with your lawyers if you want to.

Third and final point, I am not blaming the personel of GOA, you're just people trying to do your job and mostly on the GM side of things I cannot say that I have any complaints. However, GOA as a company has a horrible management, which affects its opperation, and that's more than evident to an aware customer. At the very least see that as some kind of feedback to push on to the next staff meeting.

Himse

FH is my second home
goa need to bloody sort it out for a change.

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Tallen said:
Unbelievable.

GOA finally get their act together and give us mulitple patches in one go so we are almost caught up to ths US servers (something we have wanted for years) and all people can do is moan because the downtime is a bit longer than usual?

Proof positive some people will always find something to moan about, no matter what. Thankfully all their rage is contained in one thread which no-one cares about and which will be forgotten come tomorrow.

http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/john-hodge.html

Wish I could give you 10 rep points at once :<

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Gear said:
At the very least see that as some kind of feedback to push on to the next staff meeting.

Tractartus(in response to Gear) said:
You seem to want them to have an Uber-Ball-of-Knowing - must be great in your business, when you can exactly point to when a problem gets solved. And if you are in a lucky business that can do that- nice for you. GoA aren't in that position though so you aren't comparing like with like.

Do a search for Esselinthia on this forum and pm him I'm pretty sure you'll love each other.

Gelid

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm actually Jamie this patch has nothing to do with cluster and it is interesting that you should use clustering in this context as it is one of the few events which have gone very badly for the servers and for which Prydwen players have a right to be annoyed at GOA.

Nonetheless I don't mind the downtime, since it is necessary for the health of the game and I seriously doubt GOA are going to be wine tasting when they know how much competition exists between MMORPG's these days.

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Gelid said:
Hmm actually Jamie this patch has nothing to do with cluster and it is interesting that you should use clustering in this context as it is one of the few events which have gone very badly for the servers and for which Prydwen players have a right to be annoyed at GOA.

Nonetheless I don't mind the downtime, since it is necessary for the health of the game and I seriously doubt GOA are going to be wine tasting when they know how much competition exists between MMORPG's these days.

If you read my post, i didnt say it was to do with cluster, i said i can see this happening in teh future :(

Jox

Fledgling Freddie
Gelid said:
I seriously doubt GOA are going to be wine tasting when they know how much competition exists between MMORPG's these days.

I wish I could agree...

Azagthoth

Fledgling Freddie
Im sure they doing a good jobb, but if I have to say something bad about it then it has to be that they seam to be time optimists.
Why not say it will take a few days.
As it is now, all children seams to sit at their litle computer and wait for the servers to come back tonight, and I dont think that will happen.

Hope they get it up tomorrow so we can kill eachother again :D

Yma

Fledgling Freddie
All this mess just makes me soooo happy I'm not working in the gaming industry.

This second half of the year has been a total nightmare for the gm team - all daoc population problems (they care for their jobs like we do for ours, don't you think ?), the Prydwen meltdown with consequent massive overtime for days and probably weekends for a job that can't be relayed to some work agency or new recruit to make it faster, now a patch that was probably rushed so that they might be able to give us DR before or during Christmas time hoping for better sales - and they still have to cluster our two servers while finishing replacing items ... and all this while almost feeling the breath of few tens thousands hormonal teens, game addicted adults and perfect samples of europeans loners ...

As much as I had few arguments with Requiel and friends, this evening I'd bring them beer and free pizza - even few bits of chocolate ! - if only for their dedication, if I was living near them ...

Anduril

Fledgling Freddie
Take your time GoA, my account is currently suspended 3 days - cause I emoted Censi a bit to much ! :cheers:

adorf

Fledgling Freddie
Anduril said:
Take your time GoA, my account is currently suspended 3 days - cause I emoted Censi a bit to much ! :cheers:
HAHA :p:worthy: :twak:

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
Anduril said:
:clap:Computers and technology are the result of humans. Humans are not perfect in every little inch and make fuck ups. Therefore since Humans invented technology it will make fuck ups too.Deal with it.

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
Hoho, I just had a thought. I bet there was someone recently, someone in management of on the customer end of the business who said something like "Let's make sure 1.78 goes really smoothly. We need it after the Prydwen data balls up"

Dunno why that thought makes me laugh.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Still trying to figure out why the patch was released before all the restoration work was complete. Seems utterly moronic to create more work for yourselves at a time when staff are already over-worked checking accounts and giving customers items/cash.

I'm also worried that the game databases still aren't being backed up properly, they obviously weren't if Mythic were even contemplating a data wipe.

On the latest patch fixes - take your time guys and check it's working before letting us loose on it.

Siac

Fledgling Freddie
Software is a nightmare to get working 100% stable on one system let alone this kinda thing where anything up to (..once upon a time :( ) 2500/3000 clients are connecting to a set of servers.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but in future would it not help to open a 'test server' running the 'patched version' & open it up to players who can in effect help bug test until its stable. Then and only then patch the live servers... Even if only 100 or so people bothered (and im sure alot more would) it would be a far better stress test than any internal testing that can be done.

In the mean time /shrug.... what else can we do... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom