So... We got renamed...

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So GOA then set a precedent and other users start with 'you can't change my name from Nike... go and ask their CEO for permission for me!!!'

Nah... I don't think so...

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
From what I can see on this thread, the only 'fact' is that the guild name got changed.

Other than that, there's lots of assumptions and blamethrowing, badmouthing and of course many opinions masquerading as facts.

Business as usual then :D

Sorry you guys had your name changed. I can't say if it was warranted or not but after having had a guild 'identity' for some years now that will hurt a bit.

Can you not even go with a Gazbag reference and call the guild "Definately Not Hertfold Blodkludge" (or however it was spelled) :D

Gahn

Resident Freddy
So GOA then set a precedent and other users start with 'you can't change my name from Nike... go and ask their CEO for permission for me!!!'

Same thing, i see :m00:
My point stands, the hassle of sending an email to cover your ass before losing 50 customers is > how it was handled.

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
That does sound like the most sensible course of action doesn't it?

No, it really doesn't. GOA do not have the resources to go chasing around every company in the world ever to ask if their players can have permission to use all kinds of company or product names and slogans.

What should have happened is an email should have gone to the guild leader, as well as being contacted in game, requesting to see confirmation that permission had been given to use the name, within the next 7 days. This would give ample opportunity for the guild to send this confirmation through (or acquire it, if they didn't already have it). If no confirmation was received by GOA in that time then the guild should have been renamed.

This course of action would have covered the legal aspect of the possible trademark infringement (since if GOA were taken to court over it, they could show that they had already taken action and demanded resolution within a reasonable time frame) while giving the guild a reasonable length of time to respond.

I can only hope that this is the way GOA will act in future.

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
Herfølge Boldklub is in the heavy end of 2nd division... they need all the attention they can get :ninja:

I never got the deal with big companies moaning over someones using thier names, i mean ofc if its misused somehow yes, but all other is just free advertising :drink:

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
No, it really doesn't. GOA do not have the resources to go chasing around every company in the world ever to ask if their players can have permission to use all kinds of company or product names and slogans.

I don't see that they would have to, only on the odd occasion that complaints are made, I mean really, how often does this actually happen?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I don't see that they would have to, only on the odd occasion that complaints are made, I mean really, how often does this actually happen?

You'd be amazed. Roleplayers are bastards for reporting names they feel messes with their "immersion" enjoyment :(

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
You'd be amazed. Roleplayers are bastards for reporting names they feel messes with their "immersion" enjoyment :(

as our people who find playground level toilet humour not funny or appropriate

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie

I sure think you can make a char named Nike without any problems..
After all it's the name of the Greek goddess of victory....

Why would I think about a sports brand in a game dedicated to WAR?;)

Pertan

Can't get enough of FH
The CSR in question was in deed not yet with us for DAoC but we have enough DAoC enthusiasts and/or people who worked on DAoC in the office to remember the Herfolge Boldklub guild well.

We all agreed that it was unfortunate that we had to rename them, and now that the Herfolge Boldklub football club may actually grant the guild the paperwork that will allow them to use the name our CS department is more than happy to give the guild their name back.

We maintain that the CSR who renamed the guild handled according to our rules and did the right thing at the time. The situation since has changed and we hope the paperwork will come through quickly!
Funny how a community MANAGER sweeps by only to clear GOA's name on the first and last page. Where is the Managering?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
I sure think you can make a char named Nike without any problems..
After all it's the name of the Greek goddess of victory....

Why would I think about a sports brand in a game dedicated to WAR?;)

Interesting point though if i where to name a character nike like you said after the greek goddess, would GoA change it, would be interested to hear Nic or Magnus veiw on this? Is this acceptable or a trademark infringement?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_(mythology)

:m00:

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Interesting point though if i where to name a character nike like you said after the greek goddess, would GoA change it, would be interested to hear Nic or Magnus veiw on this? Is this acceptable or a trademark infringement?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_(mythology)

:m00:

Just to make it a bit worse, IF your real name happens to be (or becoming ) a well known brand in some obscure country - why would GoA stop me from using my birthname on my char?

People ARE named Nike, Coke (yes!) & Fanta and so on...I'd find it VERY insulting if they stopped me from using my real name if I'd like to use that...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yeah, My name is Biggus Dickus, I have a wife call Incontinentia Buttocks

true story :m00:

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
We maintain that the CSR who renamed the guild handled according to our rules and did the right thing at the time. The situation since has changed and we hope the paperwork will come through quickly!

Not sure whether you intentionally chose phrasing for this reason or whether it's just accidental, but I can't help but notice that you focus on that fact he acted within GOA rules, rather than acting within what would be required by copyright law.

Just me perhaps, but is there are chance GOA recognises that your rules might be unnecessarily restrictive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom