So... We got renamed...

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Im actually shocked, quite a few years ago when i played daoc i gave up reading Freddyshouse forums. To much flaming and stupid ppl etc.

But in this tread ppl have come out intelligent and well educated, even those who don't agree with us....

Actually a lot better tread than the one Warhammer server forum.

Annoying with out name, even more frustrating with GOA's handling of it.

But nice to see a nice community debate and reaction on this.

Cheers,

Filip

Were just getting old is all ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Disgraceful. If they have been allowed to use it for the last 6-7 years I don't see an valid reason to change the name now. Balls to the CoC, apply some common sense and give them thier name back.

Lords of England totally back your cause Herfølge Boldklub, best of luck in getting this silly ruling overturned.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
These kind of lawsuits would only happen in the US. In European courts, common knowledge applies.

Gwadien

Oh well ^^

HB - You have my support =] :fluffle:

Is quite pathetic =[

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
GOA's legal team have probably been trained in the USA where you can get sued for having any of the same letters in your name as anyone else.

Years in DAOC and common sense shows that the chance of a football club taking GOA to court are about zero.

Go on GOA, we know you can be nice, let the name return.

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
I would be extremely surprised if GOA's policy on this was informed by legal professionals.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Yet another farce. Lets face it though, GoA are never going to reverse this decision.

Gwadien

Yet another farce. Lets face it though, GoA are never going to reverse this decision.

Totally agree, but we can make them feel bad about them selves!

Tbh, they're the ones that have quit, I guess 20 or so HB members might of left because of this thats - £200 a month, wow thinking about it, they do make SO much money :OOOOO:lol:

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Totally agree, but we can make them feel bad about them selves!

Tbh, they're the ones that have quit, I guess 20 or so HB members might of left because of this thats - £200 a month, wow thinking about it, they do make SO much money :OOOOO:lol:

I'm not convinced GoA feel one way or another about any of these situations. I dread to think how many subs or potential resubs they have lost in the past three or four months.

I suspect that GoA is one of those companies that has far too many middle managers and far too few troups on the ground.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
What a fuckin joke.

I like how our great new community manager posts once in the thread to clear his own name in all of this and then fucks off never to be seen.

GoA are such a joke sometimes.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
The fact that they have once again become a joke, is something certain. That goes to everyone that was saying that "oh well, let's give em a second chance after the daoc plunders". Well, that's what happens. :kissit:

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Magnus has contacted me, about an interesting turn of events.
Ill update you all when we have reached an agreement. Though it might be a few days.

Lembit

Fledgling Freddie
Before you bash GOA even more, a few things to think about.

1: As far as I know, it is a registerd trademark of some sort. And if I remember correctly its against GOA naming policy, part of the annoying thing we had to accept every time we loged on.

2: Maybe GOA didnt know about this club during the daoc days, and never recieved a complain. I mean come on, just look at the responses across the forums this thread has been posted on. Alot of people never heard of this footie team.

3: This is a very very longshot.. EA owns the FIFA games, wich give them rights to use a number of club names and logos. Othere gaming companies have similar games and license rights to different clubs. Example, HB is in the PES game owned by Konami, then It wont be in the FIFA game. Now part of the license is the use of the name, wich in this case EA are not allowed, maybe that stretches across the board and involving every single game EA does.

The third one was just something I thought about, yes Im bored and a bit lonley :)

Why not name the guild HBk Herfølge Boldklub - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Or simply HB.

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Ill update you all when we have reached an agreement. Though it might be a few days.

I'm waiting :drink:

And if GoA actually listened to the community and started to act rational instead of just being stubborn and ignorant, hats off to them :cheers:

Ps.
Can also have something to do with some GM coming from Sweden:worthy:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

maybe he took the time to do what you should have done in the first place?

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
Posted this on WHA:

You should know this is a trademark/copyright issue over which we have very little influence. When, like in this case, a player reports a name of a character or a guild and it is found to be a trademark belonging to someone else we are simply bound by law to rename it, no matter how unfortunate the timing. Note that the name was changed because of this trademark issue and not for role-play or harassment reasons.

Im shocked nothing less, thats alot of nonsaying untrue bullcrap you offloaded there....

Herfølge Boldklub, has no issues at all, with the use of the name HB in mmo's.

Chairman/Formand Palle Svendsen

I live 5 mins from the club, so i went to ask today, you muppets at Goa can even get it in writing.

Now give the brave lads their name back :clap:

Gwadien

*tuts*

*Wagging finger* Its all in the small print, along with;

GOA can take your other half at any point.

GOA can take your pet snails for their resturaunts in Paris

GOA can automatically make you pay for your WAR account - haha what a joke, oh yeah, uhmm..

/\__/\
( >.<) *Hugs Kitty* - No-one else will do it =[
(")_(")

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Stupid, but probably typical for a French company.
They are not known for their flexibility...
Just logged in on the HB forums and read the post.
@ Goa, was about to renew my subscription to be with my fellow HB mates ingame... now I will spend my money elsewhere, ignorant frogs.

Guess Warhammer online is not bringing home the money they where hoping for....
Regards, Glottis

PS. HB - happy new year! (seems bit odd to say that, stupid frogs!)

oh

my

god

Glottis! How are you old chap?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Well....

It´s a bloody shame that an old guild like HB got renamed after all those years. I feel sorry for you guys.

However, I also have to say that this kind of action by GoA - how strange and stupid it may appear - is nothing unusual. If someone in a MMO is using a copyright protected name, brand name or whatever, *and* someone reports this, they´re bound to change it.

It happened to me in LotrO. I rolled a minstrel and named him Pink Floyd. Admittedly not a very original name, but hey, both Pink and Floyd are legal first names. I then played this char for a while and some people PM´ed me, saying that this is a brand name and I should rename myself to avoid being renamed. My first reaction was similar to the reactions in this thread... wtf? brand name? it´s two legal first names! This is a MMO, I`m no using this name in a commercial way or anything....
I then reported myseld to a GM, basically saying: hey, look, my name is Pink Floyd... any problems with that?
The reply was: nah, you can keep the name

Just a couple of days later, a GM PM´ed me, saying that they received a number of reports about my name and they have to change it, since it´s a brand name etc.etc.
I told them that I HAD ASKED THEM whether or not the name was ok and I basically got permission to use it, but they insisted on me chosing a new name. Asking them for a reason why - all of a sudden - I`m no longer allowed to use this name, they told me that they don´t want to receive any further tickets about naming violation, because answering all the tickets would take too much time and they wanted to focus on real problems.

Bottom line of the story:
It´s definitely NOT a GOA specific thing. If someone would have reported you during the DAoC years, they would have done the same.

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Im shocked nothing less, thats alot of nonsaying untrue bullcrap you offloaded there....

Herfølge Boldklub, has no issues at all, with the use of the name HB in mmo's.

Chairman/Formand Palle Svendsen

I live 5 mins from the club, so i went to ask today, you muppets at Goa can even get it in writing.

Now give the brave lads their name back :clap:

Arh, they said someone else had been by when I contacted them. I wondered who that could have been.

I have been in contact with there marketing coordinator (Jesper).

I am waiting to get the approval in writing, once that is done, GoA has said they will give us our name back. Which is great.
But it is still very annoying I had to loose over half my management and several core members because of this. I proposed supplying the needed documents from the start.

Guess we got unlucky, and the right people where not in the officer due to the holidays.

Gwadien

Arh, they said someone else had been by when I contacted them. I wondered who that could have been.

I have been in contact with there marketing coordinator (Jesper).

I am waiting to get the approval in writing, once that is done, GoA has said they will give us our name back. Which is great.
But it is still very annoying I had to loose over half my management and several core members because of this. I proposed supplying the needed documents from the start.

Guess we got unlucky, and the right people where not in the officer due to the holidays.

Lack of communication there I guess? - one person says, yeah remove it, without discussing, "Marketing Coordinator" says this'll affect our pockets, so give them it back for god sake, good on him tbh, if he's doing it for the right reasons =]

Good luck rebuilding the guild Mess, if I see any names around that I recognise i'll be sure to tell them that you got your name back! :worthy:

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
great to hear that they are looking into the matter again :clap:
for me the only resonable explanation, is that the GM that changed the name wasnt a GM during Daoc. Or a jumpy legal consultant...

NicGOA

English WAR Community Manager
great to hear that they are looking into the matter again :clap:
for me the only resonable explanation, is that the GM that changed the name wasnt a GM during Daoc. Or a jumpy legal consultant...

The CSR in question was in deed not yet with us for DAoC but we have enough DAoC enthusiasts and/or people who worked on DAoC in the office to remember the Herfolge Boldklub guild well.

We all agreed that it was unfortunate that we had to rename them, and now that the Herfolge Boldklub football club may actually grant the guild the paperwork that will allow them to use the name our CS department is more than happy to give the guild their name back.

We maintain that the CSR who renamed the guild handled according to our rules and did the right thing at the time. The situation since has changed and we hope the paperwork will come through quickly!

Gahn

Resident Freddy
The CSR in question was in deed not yet with us for DAoC but we have enough DAoC enthusiasts and/or people who worked on DAoC in the office to remember the Herfolge Boldklub guild well.

We all agreed that it was unfortunate that we had to rename them, and now that the Herfolge Boldklub football club may actually grant the guild the paperwork that will allow them to use the name our CS department is more than happy to give the guild their name back.

We maintain that the CSR who renamed the guild handled according to our rules and did the right thing at the time. The situation since has changed and we hope the paperwork will come through quickly!

Wasn't a more logical and professional way to deal with the matter that actually Goa, proactively, sent a mail to HB to ask if they were okay with a Guild in your game having the same name as its Football Club, instead of giving troubles to 50 of your customers just to take it back after the damage was done?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Wasn't a more logical and professional way to deal with the matter that actually Goa, proactively, sent a mail to HB to ask if they were okay with a Guild in your game having the same name as its Football Club, instead of giving troubles to 50 of your customers just to take it back after the damage was done?

That does sound like the most sensible course of action doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom