So... We got renamed...

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Apparently we upset someone to a degree that they have chosen to report us for a naming violation.

Herfølge Boldklub has existed since 2002, but today was GoA decided to act on what is probably a single report for violating the naming policies.
For now we are know as "Guild of Order".

Our name of cause meant alot for us. If you care enough to express you're opinion. Please post it in our guild post on WHA.
Herfolge Boldklub - Warhammer Forums

Thanks for you're support in advance.

Fatload BoysDoCry

Can't get enough of FH
So GOA let you play for 7 years in DAOC with that guildname, then 3 months into WAR with the same guildname they change it?

Well done GOA, its not like we needed another example that you are a bunch of incompetent fools :clap:

Aada

Part of the furniture
Apparently we upset someone to a degree that they have chosen to report us for a naming violation.

Herfølge Boldklub has existed since 2002, but today was GoA decided to act on what is probably a single report for violating the naming policies.
For now we are know as "Guild of Order".

Our name of cause meant alot for us. If you care enough to express you're opinion. Please post it in our guild post on WHA.
Herfolge Boldklub - Warhammer Forums

Thanks for you're support in advance.

lol pretty funny.

It must really suck to log in and think your in another guild :p

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I fail to see the problem with the name, what reason did they give you? Or was it just "This is a naming violation" and thats it?

Appeal it imo, seems very harsh.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
GOA really are clueless at times.

Hope you get the name back.

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
I fail to see the problem with the name, what reason did they give you? Or was it just "This is a naming violation" and thats it?

Appeal it imo, seems very harsh.

GoA said:
It has come to our attention that your guild's name, Herfolge Boldklub, is in violation of our naming policies. Can we please ask you to submit an appeal via our in game appeal system with a list of 3 names with the most preferred name listed first and we will change the guild name for you.

The name resembles the name of a Danish Football club. Apparently that was to much for some petty little ....
The more I think about it the more upset I get.

Nibor

One of Freddy's beloved
Shadowlords Society supports HB in getting their guildname back. A name on which they build a good repurtation over many of years.

You not only upsetting HB members, you upsetting the whole old DAoC comunity.

Its a shame how GOA treats their longtime customers.

Toel

Loyal Freddie
How can this bloody happen. Surely "someone" in GOA has to have some common sense?

Alcione

Loyal Freddie
heres hoping GOA can see sense and give you your guild name back.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
How utterly ridiculous :(

I remember your name from the DAOC days, real old school.

Twoeye

Can't get enough of FH
Friggin insane!! There must be something terribly wrong with that company :twak: .

Dest

Fledgling Freddie
GOA strikes again... good luck HB'ers you were always good fun in daoc :)

Support from a dane who actually played for several years in Herfølge Boldklub... the football club :)

othmaar

Fledgling Freddie
That is just really wrong, you have to get your name back or a damn good explanation! Maybe it means fuck you in a forgotten french dialect?

legar

Loyal Freddie
lol bunch of whiners you are :twak: if you cannot see why it is renamed try reading the naming policy instead of whining:lol:

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
another reason why i will never ever spend another penny on goa..

useless idiots...

NicGOA

English WAR Community Manager
Posted this on WHA:

You should know this is a trademark/copyright issue over which we have very little influence. When, like in this case, a player reports a name of a character or a guild and it is found to be a trademark belonging to someone else we are simply bound by law to rename it, no matter how unfortunate the timing. Note that the name was changed because of this trademark issue and not for role-play or harassment reasons.

In this case, with this guild's long and proud history and good name in Dark Age and WAR we agree it is a painful situation for all of us. The EulA for WAR is not the same as the EulA for Dark Age of Camelot. A precedent set in DAoC therefore doesn't carry over into WAR.

So my advice to you is to have your Guild master send an in game appeal with suggestions for a new name for the guild, please note that unless this ticket comes from the Guild master our CSR's won't be able to discuss the matter.

We realize how unsettling this must be for you and I wish there was more we could for you right now, but we really can't, sorry.

Nate

FH is my second home
Why not mess/change the letters around a bit

Hørfelge Buldklob
Bulkdlob Egløfreh

Fizzlebutt

Fledgling Freddie
Or get in touch with herfoelge boldklub and ask for their permission :)
They are danes and will probably see the fun side of things.
Plus a bit of exposure in the game will not do HB no harm lol.

Give it a go at least.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Posted this on WHA:

You should know this is a trademark/copyright issue over which we have very little influence. When, like in this case, a player reports a name of a character or a guild and it is found to be a trademark belonging to someone else we are simply bound by law to rename it, no matter how unfortunate the timing. Note that the name was changed because of this trademark issue and not for role-play or harassment reasons.

In this case, with this guild's long and proud history and good name in Dark Age and WAR we agree it is a painful situation for all of us. The EulA for WAR is not the same as the EulA for Dark Age of Camelot. A precedent set in DAoC therefore doesn't carry over into WAR.

So my advice to you is to have your Guild master send an in game appeal with suggestions for a new name for the guild, please note that unless this ticket comes from the Guild master our CSR's won't be able to discuss the matter.

We realize how unsettling this must be for you and I wish there was more we could for you right now, but we really can't, sorry.

Since i am not an expert on the EULA, can some one show differant passages for naming convention for DAOC/WAR

now Just had a look on

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning

the guikd age of reckoning i think that must be against mythics own trademark , where do i report it?

Posted this on WHA:
When, like in this case, a player reports a name of a character or a guild and it is found to be a trademark belonging to someone else we are simply bound by law to rename it, no matter how unfortunate the timing.

not strictly true that statement, for an example if i were to name a child GOA or Mythic or even Manchester united, i am not bound by law to change that name, in a virtual world this is even more grey, unless of course HB were soliciting that they were a football team.

If HB themseleves complained about the use of there name in a game, then maybe there is some legal justification.

As you are refering to the law above, then it must be applicable in every situation, so if i where to name a character GOA on a forum, then that forum would be legally bound to change it. We all know this is not the case though, who ever is giving yo legal advice that you are bound to change it, then you need to have a word with them.

You will find though that you are only legal bound to change it of the originally holder of the trademark contacts you, not a player.

I understand that GoA csr are heavy handed at times we saw this in DAOC, Now then i will be looking through teh guild names from here

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning

i will start with the english ones and work my way through, already i have found a number of other possible trademark infringements, i will be reporting them, you are away that if they are not dealt with in the same was as HB this is discrimination, and you are away the laws on discrimination are a lot more strictly enformced than trademarks

Think not only have you started to alienate your players, but you have opened up a kettle of fish.

If i was GOA i would change there policy to state thatunless the name is offensive, than unless the original owner of the trademark complains leave it as is..

:m00:

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Just to clarify for you. You have to be the Owner of the trademark to file complaint not a player....

A trademark or trade mark, identified by the symbols ™ and ®,[1] or mark is a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization or other legal entity to identify that the products and/or services to consumers with which the trademark appears originate from a unique source of origin, and to distinguish its products or services from those of other entities. A trademark is a type of intellectual property, and typically a name, word, phrase, logo, symbol, design, image, or a combination of these elements.[2] There is also a range of non-conventional trademarks comprising marks which do not fall into these standard categories.

The owner of a registered trademark may commence legal proceedings for trademark infringement to prevent unauthorized use of that trademark. However, registration is not required. The owner of a common law trademark may also file suit, but an unregistered mark may be protectable only within the geographical area within which it has been used or in geographical areas into which it may be reasonably expected to expand.

The term trademark is also used informally to refer to any distinguishing attribute by which an individual is readily identified, such as the well known characteristics of celebrities. When a trademark is used in relation to services rather than products, it may sometimes be called a service mark, particularly in the United States

since your allowing players to file complaints on trademark infringements, hold your horses i am going to be sending a load your way now on other guilds....

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
trademark infringement

Trademark infringement is a violation of the exclusive rights attaching to a trademark without the authorization of the trademark owner or any licensees (provided that such authorization was within the scope of the license). Infringement may occur when one party, the "infringer", uses a trademark which is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark owned by another party, in relation to products or services which are identical or similar to the products or services which the registration covers. An owner of a trademark may commence legal proceedings against a party which infringes its registration.

Unless the HB football teams have started to run a WAR guild, then i dont think it infringes on the trademark registration do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom