Fact So, for reference...

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've got loads of sperm in my freezer, not to use at a later date for kids mind, just a hobby

*too much?*
Does it go well in the slow cooker? The reason I ask is that I have a brand new one to try out :)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Hmm, a lot of it burns off after about 3 hours tbh, but on the flip side, you don't need to add salt

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
*giggles at the stupidity*

Glad it's not too bad Gaf. Most of my closest friends (male naturally) have had very successful vasectomies :)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
:sick: your braver than me gaff, I think ill just stick to using a pack of 3 from boots, damn sight easier than people messing around down there with scalpels.....

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That's a post code lottery. I was pointed at a private clinic at £500 a pop when I asked a few years back.

Yeah i had that done too, though there were no scalpels involved and i'm quite sure that surgeons aren't supposed to operate with their tongues.

Was only 50 bucks though and he was really nice.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Why should they do it, anyway?

"Customer" choice. If the NHS is offering IVF to over 40s, then offering vasectomies as well would seem appropriate. (and no, that's not actually my opinion, I don't think either thing should be available on the NHS, but if you're doing one then doing the other only seems fair).

rynnor

Rockhound
"Customer" choice. If the NHS is offering IVF to over 40s, then offering vasectomies as well would seem appropriate. (and no, that's not actually my opinion, I don't think either thing should be available on the NHS, but if you're doing one then doing the other only seems fair).

IVF seems particularly crazy because you then have to pay for the birth/scans etc and with over 40s you have a higher chance of the baby having birth defects so potentially huge costs.

Vasectomies on the other hand should pretty much pay for themselves.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Birth control saves them a huge amount.
Even at high ages (40+?) The number of unplanned births at that age must be pretty low. I doubt the savings, for that age segment, are significant. I agree that treatments that save in the long run should be available for free (even if they have nothing to do with actual health), though.

DaGaffer

Even at high ages (40+?) The number of unplanned births at that age must be pretty low. I doubt the savings, for that age segment, are significant. I agree that treatments that save in the long run should be available for free (even if they have nothing to do with actual health), though.

Actually, health professionals are very reluctant to give you a vasectomy at ages below 40. Friend of mine has three kids, is 29 and has been refused, even privately. I had to have a long conversation justifying my reasons before they gave the go-ahead. It may be more relaxed in the UK, but in catholic Ireland they want you to be very sure you don't want any more kids before they give the go ahead (the counsellor even told me that if I'd had two boys or two girls instead of one of each, that's a mark against giving the go ahead). If you've had no kids at all, it would be pretty difficult to get it done at all over here.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Actually, health professionals are very reluctant to give you a vasectomy at ages below 40. Friend of mine has three kids, is 29 and has been refused, even privately. I had to have a long conversation justifying my reasons before they gave the go-ahead. It may be more relaxed in the UK, but in catholic Ireland they want you to be very sure you don't want any more kids before they give the go ahead (the counsellor even told me that if I'd had two boys or two girls instead of one of each, that's a mark against giving the go ahead). If you've had no kids at all, it would be pretty difficult to get it done at all over here.
That's fair enough. You can imagine the scenario: guy gets snipped at 29 thinking he'll never want kids. Married at 30, wife wants kids. Goes back to the doc and costs thousands in reversal or tens/hundreds of thousands on IVF. All because he couldnt be arsed to rubber up.

rynnor

Rockhound

Its a quick bit of surgery which can be done in an outpatient clinic though so pretty cheap whereas the cost of pre-natal/birth are massive.

DaGaffer

That's fair enough. You can imagine the scenario: guy gets snipped at 29 thinking he'll never want kids. Married at 30, wife wants kids. Goes back to the doc and costs thousands in reversal or tens/hundreds of thousands on IVF. All because he couldnt be arsed to rubber up.

The guy I mentioned in an earlier post who's had two reversals? Your scenario is exactly what happened. Twice.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I still think it's completely mad, you never know what the future holds.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
1 in 10 chance of long-term pain sounds bad. Have they not perfected 6 month injection thingies yet?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's really not for second quessers, better know yoself before you snip yoself.

Athan

Resident Freddy
I wonder if this is available in the UK yet, and if so how easily:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/04/ff_vasectomy/

Das explained that the new method did not have some of the drawbacks associated with a regular vasectomy. First, sperm would still be able to escape Deshpande’s body normally, which meant he would be free of the pressure and granulomas that sometimes accompany a vasectomy. More important, it could be reversed easily, with a simple follow-up injection.

The procedure is known by the clunky acronym RISUG (for reversible inhibition of sperm under guidance), but it is in fact quite elegant: The substance that Das injected was a nontoxic polymer that forms a coating on the inside of the vas. As sperm flow past, they are chemically incapacitated, rendering them unable to fertilize an egg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom