Skyrim Remaster

leggy

Probably Scottish
I haven't done that since I was 8, when I learned very quickly that a quality review was invaluable to stop me pissing my money away.

They didn't do reviews for the Atari PONG.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Wasn't there a thread on here recently about large 'review' companies being paid to give good reviews.

Now everyone is saying 'we don't need independent reviewers'

Okay...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Tbh, don't need any pissy half-ass reviewers to check if a game is guud. What happened to the way we did it before, when we just bought a game just by looking at the back cover of the box at the store?

No what USED to be the case was that the publishers released a DEMO that was representative of the finished product (for the most part) to be shipped with PC gaming magazines. And we made up our mind to buy or not through that.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Demos used to be the games I played. When I was a poor, work shy 10 year old.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Demos used to be the games I played. When I was a poor, work shy 10 year old.
But they were good for getting a feel. This was before the days of day one patches. On e it was gold it was done.

leggy

Probably Scottish
But they were good for getting a feel. This was before the days of day one patches. On e it was gold it was done.

I wasn't criticising them. I loved demo floppies and CDs. I couldn't have played some games without them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I had a warcraft 1 demo...played over and over.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Meh, its certainly not even close to the ENB I was running when I played it last...

Might wait and see if anyone overhauls it but if that's the best they can do then I actually feel sorry for the peasantry.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I do. It's fucking awful.

I haven't done that since I was 8, when I learned very quickly that a quality review was invaluable to stop me pissing my money away.

Your opinion and that's fine, I genuinely don't mind it though and the only reason I don't mind that is because I trust BETHESDA to put out good products (that is obviously subject to change if they start getting shit)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Your opinion and that's fine, I genuinely don't mind it though and the only reason I don't mind that is because I trust BETHESDA to put out good products (that is obviously subject to change if they start getting shit)

And how many burns will you take before changing that stance? One? ten?

If Bethesda had been honest about their reason to do what they did i'd be more fine with it. But it's obvious that their official explanation is complete and utter lies.

I mean come on, "We want everyone, including those in the media, to experience our games at the same time"... Wait what? So will they stop selling their games the day after release as well then? If i buy their games a month after release i won't "experience the game alongside everybody else" will i? So logically i shouldn't be allowed to buy any of their games if i miss the release day...

No obviously they will not as the only reason they did this is because those early reviews have caused much less people to preorder.

This is literally the music and movie industry fighting VHS and cassette tapes all over again.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its fine right up until they release a game that is rushed for console release.

The only way they will learn is at their pocket. Do not pre-order games and do not buy games until you have seen a reliable review or two. I think we have all learned that lesson in recent years. If Bethesda want to move that time back a week (availability of reviews) then it's their loss.

Skyrim remaster smells slightly of rushed release. Lots of bugs that were patched out by 3rd parties in the original, bizarrely exist in the remake, plus a bunch of new ones, crappy sound being one. If I had paid for it I would be pretty pissed off about it, but it was free so for now its just getting uninstalled until the bugs are fixed and some real HD mods come out, if they come out.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Getting a good press release can help bolster sales but if you have a narrow launch window (say to avoid clashing with other more profitable products or pressure from publisher) then you launch, this is not a new game more of a nice to have patch mostly for consoles anyway, initially at least, but that will make larger mods possible so dont really see the problem

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Well preventing any chance of bad reviews before release stops all the people with pre-orders cancelling. It makes sense from a business PoV but it sucks for consumers.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Would be curious to know how.many preorder this got, especially on pc i imagine most people picked up all the dlc on the cheap years ago so got it for free anyway

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its company policy from now on, not just Skyrim. They have said that no review copies will be sent out at all for any game until the day before release.

Which as said, is fine until they start releasing dross...and we know that sooner or later most publishers go to shit one way or the other. They will essentially have stacks of pre-orders and day 1 purchases with nobody being able to make a fair judgement on it, lots of people could end up burned.

Last edited:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Well preventing any chance of bad reviews before release stops all the people with pre-orders cancelling. It makes sense from a business PoV but it sucks for consumers.

This - I don't mind it though as said, a lot of Youtubers will lose some revenue over it as some of them make a living from reviews such as BETHESDA games.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Aye I heard Dishonored 2 was fucked on PC lol.
It was fucking obvious and inevitable.

How many times does this shit have to happen before fanbois die out and stop *trusting* companies?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I feel like a lot of recent PC game "performance issues" are really just people not understanding they can't run every single game, especially recent ones, at Ultra 1440p with i5's and 3+yr old gfx cards just because it works in CoD or similar.

Sure some games certainly have major problems, the last Batman for example, but from what I've read on Dishonored 2 many of the complaints are user related.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There is also a fair amount of people with 1080s experiencing problems, input lag, stuttering etc.

And there is no way on earth Alt+Tabbing should cause game issues these days.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Works fine on PC if you dial it way down to console graphics too. But why would anyone want to do that?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If you want every game to work on every hardware combo out there first time then console is you choice. Expect pain with pc because its such a varied platform.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you want every game to work on every hardware combo out there first time then console is you choice. Expect pain with pc because its such a varied platform.
If you're happy to expect graphics from 5 years ago, true.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
...the gameplay is the same...
Exactly. So i prefer the ps4 one as it works without the hastle of the improved gfx. Where as you have the stuttering or whatever on yr pc i can play with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom