News Shopped on Playstation Network?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Then they can pay for them, it is what they are trying to make it look like with these games after all...

Which would cost EVEN more than current costs. That's if they played ball at all. EA would laugh them away, for example.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Which would cost EVEN more than current costs.

For some reason that doesn't bother me.

Personally i probably wouldn't care if they went bankrupt because of this.

The mistakes they have made is of such a monumental scope that they probably SHOULD shut down because even after they said they fixed everything, they STILL managed to screw up.

In my humble opinion this should rightfully cost them so much that they would piss themselves every time a red light comes on.

But they are not going to, infact i have a sneaking suspicion that this won't cost them nearly as much as we might think. They probably won't even lose that class action lawsuit in Canada. I hope they will but i doubt it.

Yes what they have is a temporary PR nightmare, but if they keep downplaying this like they did in the previous page and calling this a "small hiccup", ppl will start to believe it and all will be well and they are going to forget all about this and probably start to cut corners again after a few years.

And i also know that Sony is out to make money, not lose it. But that doesn't excuse what happened and how they are dealing with it now that it's over.

I mean comon, "small hiccup"? That doesn't push any buttons for any of you?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I agree this is a major cock up and I have not yet resigned onto PSN and i am not sure I will bother as my PS3 has not been used since I got the X1 in Gran Turismo. But if they have met the legal requirements I do not think Sony are the only people who need to answer some questions.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
That's what hackers do so the rage has to be directed at Sony. If Sony don't secure the info properly then someone will steal it. We put our trust in the companies we give our info to to secure it. We do not put our trust in hackers to not steal data. It's Sony that's let us down.

By your reasoning Sony could leave the data in the street cos it would be the thief's fault, not theirs, if it got stolen :)
Well then one could say if you manage to rob an armored truck its the companies fault and not the robbers.

And they should be able to leave the data open, but since there way to many greedy bastards around they cant

megadave

I am a FH squatter
seems all the downloadable content that i've paid for has fucking vanished from my ps3 since this network cock up, fucking cnuts i want to play battlefield vietnam

Chronictank

FH is my second home
seems all the downloadable content that i've paid for has fucking vanished from my ps3 since this network cock up, fucking cnuts i want to play battlefield vietnam

store isn't up yet, so your purchases can't be verified, so you don't have it enabled on your account (the data is probably still there)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
they all probably run on the same sort of web security so it is inevitable until they get it patched, i suspect they have been scrambling to save peoples cc details before they do it for the personal data

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

Chronictank

FH is my second home
It is very easy to blame the hackers but big corporations have a duty of care to make sure their systems are secured, alot of them neglect this and deserve everything they get.

I feel sorry for Sony but by no means should you be pushing to have hackers made scapegoats, instead you should be pushing for real punishments for company's caught with their pants down

soze

I am a FH squatter
Email said:
Identity Theft Protection Offer for PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ Customers

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment have made arrangements with Debix to offer AllClear ID PLUS to eligible PlayStation®Network and Qriocity account holders in the United States who are concerned about identity theft.

AllClear ID PLUS is a premium identity protection service that uses advanced technology to deliver alerts to help protect you from identity theft. The service also provides identity theft insurance coverage and hands-on help from expert fraud investigators.

Sony has arranged, at no charge to eligible PlayStation®Network and Qriocity account holders, for twelve months of this service to be provided by Debix to those who choose to enroll. In order to be eligible, account holders must be residents of the United States with active accounts as of April 20, 2011.

If interested, please submit your email address by June 28, 2011, at 11:59:59 PM CST at: us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection.

Please note, you must enter the same email address used to register your PlayStation®Network or Qriocity account. Once your email address is validated, you will be sent your AllClear ID PLUS activation code.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment & Sony Network Entertainment

I wonder if they will bring something like this to Europe.

And I still don't think Sony is where this should stop. If they had sufficient security to be legal then who ever set the standard should also answer a few questions. If Sony only have the minimum acceptable security how many smaller companies out there do as well?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It is very easy to blame the hackers but big corporations have a duty of care to make sure their systems are secured, alot of them neglect this and deserve everything they get.

Oh comon, are you seriously trying to say that the hackers are without guilt or responsibility here?

Someone said "hacking is what hackers do" and that is the same as saying "murder is what murderer's do" so blame the victims for not protecting themselves adequately, and that's just bullshit.

Yes, big companies have a duty to try and make their system as secure as possible and sony failed miserably at that. But that doesn't excuse what the hackers did.

No matter what you say, it still is the hackers fault we had to go through this, not sonys unbelievable stupidity.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Oh comon, are you seriously trying to say that the hackers are without guilt or responsibility here?

Someone said "hacking is what hackers do" and that is the same as saying "murder is what murderer's do" so blame the victims for not protecting themselves adequately, and that's just bullshit.

Yes, big companies have a duty to try and make their system as secure as possible and sony failed miserably at that. But that doesn't excuse what the hackers did.

No matter what you say, it still is the hackers fault we had to go through this, not sonys unbelievable stupidity.

Sure the hackers are to blame, but then Sony with their "Bring it on" attitude didn't exactly help. Lets be clear about this – the Other OS option was actually a selling point – something Sony themselves advertised it early on. Going on to sue George Hots fanned turned the heat up on the situation even more.

I am not saying that Sony should openly bow to outside pressure, but antagonising these people (especially without the tools to back it up) hasn’t exactly helped the situation has it? I agree, the hackers have over reacted, but having said that, Sony have played no small role in this situation and the way they have treated their customers is quite appalling really.

As I said earlier in the thread, Sony will probably throw unpressidented resources at security now - I am certainly no expert, but from what I have observed over the years, it does seem that the more complicated security measures become, the more holes tend to appear in them and if this situation proves anything, it is that hackers always seem to be good at thinking outside the box.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I'm not arguing that Sony didn't deserve it.

But Sonys customers doesn't deserve this.

So while Sony might be bleeding now, this mess have probably hurt the customers more in the long run.

Sony will recover of that i'm certain, and at least for them things will go back to normal.

But many of the customers that got their personal details stolen will probably have to be really careful about ID thefts and pay for insurances they otherwise wouldn't have to for the rest of their lives, or at least for many years.

And afaik they didn't sue geohot because he made ppl be able to use other OS's on the ps3, they sued him for ruining the inbuilt security systems so you could play pirated games online.

I haven't followed that very closely tho so i could be wrong.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I am not sure what you mean by Sony recovering. They have had sub-standard products for quite some time now. In the same price bracket of any Sony product there is always something much better for the same money.

The company needs a kick up the arse, they are no longer the best brand. They either need to improve their products to match their price range or drop their price and become a budget manufacturer...which is basically the standard of their current range.

Chronictank

FH is my second home

I don't see that anywhere in my post, i do however live in the real world where hackers exist whether you want them to or not and it is the COMPANY who is responsible for keeping your data safe, if they want to store it they have to protect it. If they are incapable then they shouldn't be in the business space of doing it and farm the process out to someone who is better equipped to do so.

If you want to use silly analogies you wouldn't leave your house with all the doors and windows open would you? While in a perfect world there would be no thieves, that is not reality.

The customers sign up knowing the risk that their data could be compromised, it is the same for EVERY on-line and data service, you choose to sign up as a customer and accept the inherent risk in getting the service

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
And the people who did it issue a press release saying that Sony didn't even encrypt the data, including passwords in plaintext.

Seems there's still mileage yet in kicking Sony like a puppy.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
makes you wonder what security firm they employed to secure their network :confused:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The hacking is criminal but surely this lack of care for customer data is also borderline criminal? This just isn't good enough, 6 weeks on and this shit is still happening, heads should roll.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I was under the impression they had a complete security audit done by an external contractor, can't have been much of an audit :/

soze

I am a FH squatter
Makes you wonder if Sony are run like loads of little companies as you would think the whole web facing side of Sony would have been fixed with the PS hack.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
The hacking is criminal but surely this lack of care for customer data is also borderline criminal? This just isn't good enough, 6 weeks on and this shit is still happening, heads should roll.

Well in the UK it would be wouldn't it? - Data Protection Act. The US as I understand it have next to no real data protection legislation (I vaguely remember Clinton trying to push something through, but it fell on its arse when presented to congress) - so the US Parts of Sony were probably never legally required to encrypt data. Not that that is an excuse of course.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Makes you wonder if Sony are run like loads of little companies as you would think the whole web facing side of Sony would have been fixed with the PS hack.

That does seem to be the case, too many divisions running thier own internet front/backends.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Can anyone actually get on PSN at the minute to claim their 'rewards' ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom