News Shopped on Playstation Network?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
It does seem to be a major PR disaster for Sony. If that information is used or does end up in the public domain, choosing to wait seven days to inform their customers isn't going to go down very well.

I wonder how much the backhander from Microsoft was for this attack? :lol:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Large fine for Sony for ignoring their obligations under PCI DSS ?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
So they're chasing Johnny 10 year old who downloads a film and dragging his parents into court, meanwhile the criminals are organising and pulling off multi million dollar hacks that will have the industry shitting itself,no doubt every big online community is getting a 'protection' demand through the post.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I bet bodhi feels like his wife or girlfriend has cheated on him!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What is more worrying is that the data is seemingly unencrypted.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Major banks are advising business as usual. Just keep an eye on your statements and report anything suspicious.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
So they're chasing Johnny 10 year old who downloads a film and dragging his parents into court, meanwhile the criminals are organising and pulling off multi million dollar hacks that will have the industry shitting itself,no doubt every big online community is getting a 'protection' demand through the post.

I dislike Sony more by the day.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
When hardware makers get into content it's never good for customers. Rootkits ftw \o/

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Not a good start of the year for sony :p
They will probably get a hefty fine and then the smaller private cases will inevitable start rolling in

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Wonder if this only affects PSN or if it includes SOE as well...

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I think you would have to be an idiot to actually start distributing the stolen data, it would be a sure way of getting caught. Lets face it Sony and several governments aren't going to spare any resources on this one.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I think you would have to be an idiot to actually start distributing the stolen data, it would be a sure way of getting caught.

The risk is there obviously. But i doubt it's bigger then in any other CC hijack scheme, this one just has more publicity.

There's just to many ways to use a credit card nowadays that the chance to get caught if using it is rather small. I mean, all you need is a public computer and a fake I.D to book it with and you're golden...

What i do believe tho is that very few will actually try to use any of them because as there has been such a fuzz about it most ppl (if smart) has already barred their cards and ordered a new one.

If the hackers managed to do this unnoticed, and then sell them. THEN it would have been worth the time to sift through them, but not now.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
And Sony have issued a press release outlining what they're going to do in the next few days.
PlayStation News Articles: - PlayStation Network Restoration Update

Key points:
  • An enforced system update.
  • Requirement to choose a new password (restricted to the system the account was created on).
  • Assistance enrolling with identity protection services in your local region.
  • A "Welcome Back" package to include free downloads, 30 days free PS Plus subscription and Qmusic (if you subscribe to Qmusic).

So that sounds like "sorry for the trouble, have some freebies".

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Really, none of that sounds like a sorry it sounds to me like:
  • Turn back over control of your system (If you don't you won't be able to play online)
  • Change your password so we can't be held accountable if you used it somewhere else and it gets released into the wild because of our fuckup because they wont match anymore.
  • Government enforced bullshit
  • Try our pay service, we'll probably ask you for a card so it auto renews but it'll be ok this time, honest.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The problem with the written word is that sarcasm and irony don't come across well.
I was thinking the same way as you Mystic. I was thinking "No Sony, you can't buy my trust back."
No way in hell I'm going to buy anything through PSN now, and the new password will be a randomly generated one that I'll only use on PSN.

I'm in the process of going through my logins with Lastpass and generating new passwords. This PSN mess up was the motivation I needed to get around to doing it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Same here really, I have become pretty complacent with website security lately. I did have a password that I would use for most things, though it was difficult to guess or break it's silly to just use the one. My PSN password was unique though so that shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Bit of a pain to remember all the sites though, think I have done most now!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Zenith.UK said:
The problem with the written word is that sarcasm and irony don't come across well.
I was thinking the same way as you Mystic. I was thinking "No Sony, you can't buy my trust back."
No way in hell I'm going to buy anything through PSN now, and the new password will be a randomly generated one that I'll only use on PSN.

I'm in the process of going through my logins with Lastpass and generating new passwords. This PSN mess up was the motivation I needed to get around to doing it.
my bad dude. This is an epic lol clusterfuck by Sony.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
[*]Requirement to choose a new password (restricted to the system the account was created on).

And how screwed are people who've upgraded or replaced their original system going to be?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
And how screwed are people who've upgraded or replaced their original system going to be?

Not much, they probably just have to call in and prove they owned the old system and have it transferred to the new one.

Similar to how m$ does it with their OS's when you change to much hardware or buy a new PC but keep the OS.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Apparently it might affect SOE as well...

from SOE's homepage..

We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).

As far as i've seen, no SOE game or website is up.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's a disaster for Sony, the fact that it was not unencrypted shows massive incompetence.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
think from now im i am gonna stick with topup/voucher cards for psn/xbl and most other things

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom