Politics Scottish Independance?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Obviously they have to draw a line somewhere but I do think they have drawn it in the wrong place. imo it should be people registered as being born in Scotland and current residents of Scotland.

That would be the fair (if administratively horrific) stance. You'd have to make it for people with Scottish birth certificates and UK passports (not Scottish birth certs and other passports), and authenticate the birth certs (there's a new thing called an apostille stamp you have to get to auth birth certs if you need to use them in a "foreign" country - I had to get it done when I got married in Ireland). It would be pretty unwieldy, but it would be the right thing to do; of course the SNP automatically assume all Jocks south of the border (except Sean Connery) are traitorous semi-sassenachs and not to be trusted, or they wouldn't have left the Ould Sod in the first place.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Obviously they have to draw a line somewhere but I do think they have drawn it in the wrong place. imo it should be people registered as being born in Scotland and current residents of Scotland.
If they care that much about Scotland why are they living abroad? "Better jobs in England?" Exactly.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Nothing grinds my gears more than Sean Connery going on about Independence............ from the Bahamas.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Its completely up to them and this vote is democracy at its finest..but if it turns out 60/40..thats going to leave an awful lot of people disgruntled...civil war on the books.

rynnor

Rockhound
Nothing grinds my gears more than Sean Connery going on about Independence............ from the Bahamas.

Wasn't he (and maybe still is) the major financial donor for the SNP?

Job

Oh really..you dont think the vote will follow religous divides...a lot of Scotland is in state not far off Northern Ireland

DaGaffer

Oh really..you dont think the vote will follow religous divides...a lot of Scotland is in state not far off Northern Ireland

Your failure to understand the history of Scotland or Northern Ireland is breathtaking. Catholics represent less than 16% of the Scottish population (and declining - as is protestantism); if independence was a sectarian issue it wouldn't even have got to the discussion stage, never mind ballot.

Don't confuse Celtic Park or Parkhead on a Saturday afternoon with politics.

old.user4556

Wasn't he (and maybe still is) the major financial donor for the SNP?

I don't know, it just sticks in the mouth of some (mine included). Alan Cumming is another famous "Yes" campaigner, but lives in Manhattan. Honestly, jog on.

old.user4556

If they care that much about Scotland why are they living abroad? "Better jobs in England?" Exactly.

It really depends on what constitutes "better jobs", or your own personal definition of "better jobs" - I've never really bought that argument personally, but then I lucked out in that my employer has a large Edinburgh / London presence. Take this as an example:

http://www.s1jobs.com/job/507531795.html - £40k to £50k

I'd expect a similar role in London to be somewhere around £60k to £70k probably? The disparity in house prices between central London and Glasgow is enormous, so for me (personally) the upheaval to London for "better money" is massively outweighed by substantially lower living costs in Scotland. When I was ~25 I did consider a move to London to go contracting, lured by ~£500 a day rates, but given that living somewhere decent quickly eroded that day rate, it didn't seem worth it.

The flip side to the argument (I can only base this on my own industry) is that all the executive roles will be based in London, and always will be. If you're a high flyer or have huge ambition, then London is the only realistic option.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think I would rather live in Scotland with nice stuff on the doorstep than London with the Saarf innit bruv on the door step :)

rynnor

Rockhound
I think I would rather live in Scotland with nice stuff on the doorstep than London with the Saarf innit bruv on the door step :)

Me too - that's why I moved out of London - your wayyy better off away from London.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Me too - that's why I moved out of London - your wayyy better off away from London.
Depends if you can make a living outside of London (which is very likely but not certain).

DaGaffer

Like G says, it depends what you do; decent online jobs outside London/M4 corridor are relatively few and far between, especially if you're a "suit" like me. Even now, I'd probably be financially a bit better off moving back to London because there are simply so many more opportunities and the cost of living isn't actually that much higher than Dublin. Which is in itself interesting because if Edinburgh became a proper capital city, chances are the cost of living would shoot up as well.

Having said all that, quality of life is way better in Dublin, but only because I have kids, otherwise it would be a bit small town for me after all those years in London.

DaGaffer

Thats actually pretty piddly to be fair - most general election manifesto have bigger gaps.

Yes but if you read the article, the Treasury weren't actually saying that's the total funding gap, just the gap caused by childcare provision etc. Once again the SNP bunch chose to selectively forget to mention the context of the statement (in fact they totally misrepresented it. Again.)

rynnor

Rockhound
DaGaffer said:
Yes but if you read the article, the Treasury weren't actually saying that's the total funding gap, just the gap caused by childcare provision etc. Once again the SNP bunch chose to selectively forget to mention the context of the statement (in fact they totally misrepresented it. Again.)

I still don't think its the right approach tp tackling the no campaign arguing over figures.

Btw your ten millenial post approaches :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Which to be fair they all do given: The chief secretary to the Treasury said the Scottish government could not "spend what it will not have".

Defi-whatsit? Nah, never heard of one of them!

Job

Yes you earn more..but theres no such thing as a free lunch and your property/rental prices are astronomical...theres a story atm about London sucking the life out of the rest of the UK..no it isnt...you can live a lovely life up north...its not all run down bolton and wigan.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Seeing as Salmond seems intent on bankrupting an independent Scotland within 10 years of independence via frankly ludicrous promises, I don't see how it is even remotely in the interests of the UK or England.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy

old.user4556

The BBC article is useless. In there attempt to appear impartial, they haven't actually reported on anything. Oh wait, the governor of the bank of England said be careful and Alex Salmond said it went well....

That's because nothing conclusive was said. What wasn't said, that the Unionists were claiming, was that a currency union wouldn't happen. What was confirmed, is that there are careful considerations to be planned through to an eventuality of a currency union.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom