Scottish Football Fuckwittery

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I don't know if it's me, but what's the deal with the whole "support every single team EXCEPT England" attitude in Scotland?

For those south of the border, or who simply don't care (i'm sure footie fans will know) that practically every Scotsman is supporting anyone except England. The fucking newspapers are packed to the hilt with interviews and articles on "famous", supposedly intelligent Scottish celebrities, politicians and ex-footballers on "lets not support England".

Am I missing the point; England are our neighbours and since Scotland aren't in the world cup I thought it made sense to support the next best country that's part of the United Kingdom? If England didn't get through, and Ireland did, i'd support Ireland. Or .. If Scotland AND England qualified then i'd (obviously) want Scotland to win. Thing is, Scotland are a shite football team, they'll always be a shite football team - so forget it.

Instead, people (historically too) I know support countries like Argentina and Germany - two countries that have invaded, started wars, killed British troops and one of the two started a mass genocide about 60 or so years ago - doesn't seem like the sort of country you would want to associate yourself with. But no, as long as it's not England.

And then I thought "ahhh, i'm taking it too seriously!". But i'm not, it's the population of Scotland that are taking it reaaaaaally seriously.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1783460,00.html#article_continue

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...-sin-to-cheer-england-defeats--name_page.html

Not one person has offered a single reason not to support England other than "just because".

So then I decided that Scotland simply contains a high percentage of uneducated fuckwits, particularly when it comes to football.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Whats funny is when scotland/ireland/wales/northern ireland progress past england we all support them, vice versa never happens. :/

JingleBells

FH is my second home
ECA said:
Whats funny is when scotland/ireland/wales/northern ireland progress past england we all support them, vice versa never happens. :/
I don't, I love to see the jocks and taffs lose :m00:

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
i got no reason not to support the England team if it wasnt for the commentators.

i mean, they even manage to mention 1966 during a game with Greece and Sweden before the national anthems were finished.;

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I love you Big G.

I think Leggy feels the same as you as well, I also love Leggy even though hes a brummy now.

old.user4556

Oh I should say, the 1966 thing? Makes me (and I understand a lot of the English) want to throw the TV out the bloody window. Seriously winds me up - THAT SAID - if Scotland were to win a world cup we would be equally as bad, if not worse.

Will

/bin/su
BBC World Cup Guidelines for commentary team.

1 - Within 1 minute of kick off in the opening match (Germany v Costa Rica) the commentator must mention England ... AND 1966

2 - Regardless of what two teams are contesting the final, England and 1966 must be mentioned within the opening minute of the match.

3 - If England should play Argentina, passing reference to the Falkland Isles should be made at some point in the match.

4 - Whenever a hat trick is scored, comparisons with Geoff Hurst must be made within seconds of the third goal hitting the net.

5 - Should England wear their red jerseys, then liberal references to '66' should be made for the duration of the match.

6 - Notwithstanding, 1966 will be mentioned approximately 10 times per any match involving England, however only 4 or 5 occasions for matches not involving England should suffice.

7 - Prior to the captain of the winning team lifting the trophy, the commentator will make the comparison with Bobby Moore and 1966.

8 - When Germany is playing, they must be referred to as arrogant on several occasions (at the commentator's discretion). Commentary should be peppered with derogatory remarks referring to their footballing style, their passing ability, their haircuts and well, anything in general really.

9 - Should England play Germany, in addition to the obligatory references to 1966 ... Numerous mentions of Winston Churchill, Dambusters, The Luftwaffe and Adolf Hitler will be compulsory.

10 - All Scottish members of our commentary team must continue to refer to England in the first person plural ... "we" and "us".

11 - The commentator must strive ensure that nationalistic stereotypes are preserved ... as a general rule of thumb:
Germans are arrogant.
Spanish are bottlers.
The Ivory Coast ... fast but poor in defence.
Africans are generally disorganised.
Argentinians are dirty filthy cheats ... and
French are only good because their best players play in England.

12 - For matches not involving England, only players who play in England need be mentioned. EG. Holland v Argentina should be referred to as Van Nistelroy v Crespo).

13 - The mythical "bulldog spirit" phrase should be used as often as possible.

14 - Commentary on any match involving England should begin with the phrase "England Expects."

15 - Should any player be involved in an injury which incurs the loss of teeth, then reference to Nobby Stiles & 1966 is compulsory.

16 - If in any doubt, about anything, mention 1966.

17 - Favourable mention should be made of the stunning new German stadia, however qualification of this mention should immediately be made with emphasis that they lack the presence and atmosphere of Wembley, the true spiritual home of football since 1966.

18 - Commentators are at liberty to attempt to emulate the style of Kenneth Wolstenholme, the hero of 1966.

19 - Should any team feature brothers playing together, then comparisons with Jackie and Bobby Charlton should be made throughout the match.

20 - When England bows out after the first stage, it must be emphasised what a massive blow to football in general ... and what a serious impact to the quality of the remainder of the World Cup this is.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm supporting Italy, buggered if I'm getting behind England after the chat I've had about us not making it. The thing is tho I still wear my Scotland top with pride - I don't need my country's team to get into the World Cup to be proud of it. Anyway you want reasons for not supporting England?

1) I'm not English.

2) If France weren't to make it to the World Cup, you think the French would get behind the Germans? If Mexico didn't qualify, you think the Maxicans would all of a sudden start chanting U-S-A!? You think because Norway aren't in it, most of Oslo will be getting behind Henrik and Zlatan's band of merry men? Do you see where I'm going here? None of that lot will be supporting their neighbours in a hurry now will they.

3) Why can't I choose who I want? I'm getting pretty sick of being told who I gotta support - I can make my own mind up thanks. I didn't support France when I lived there, didn't support the Irish when I lived there either.

Just like to point at this point, just cos I'm not supporting England doesn't mean I want them to lose, far from it. It's just I'd rather Italy won. It's nothing personal - I just watch more Italian Football than I do English.

One thing you need to remember folks is that Love Thy Neighbour is all well and good in an ideal world, human nature dictates that not all of us are gonna get on with our neighbours.

old.user4556

Bodhi said:
1) I'm not English.

Or Italian ;)

2) If France weren't to make it to the World Cup, you think the French would get behind the Germans? If Mexico didn't qualify, you think the Maxicans would all of a sudden start chanting U-S-A!? You think because Norway aren't in it, most of Oslo will be getting behind Henrik and Zlatan's band of merry men? Do you see where I'm going here? None of that lot will be supporting their neighbours in a hurry now will they.

Probably not, but i'm not sure their media would go to such lame depths that the Scottish media have been.

Just like to point at this point, just cos I'm not supporting England doesn't mean I want them to lose, far from it. It's just I'd rather Italy won.

That's good of you, and it also differentiates you from the rest of the numbnuts in my social groups. You've obviously chosen to support a team, and stick with it (which is your prerogative, in the same way I chose a neighbouring country). What I personally object to, is the simple minded "support whatever team is playing England and hope England lose all their games" attitude which I think shows those people up for their bitter, sour grapes attitude made worse by the toilet Scottish Sun.

If England go out, I will be rooting for a different team.

mank!

Part of the furniture
i actually find it somewhat disconcerting that there are jocks out there who not only don't care if england win, but will go so far as to support them.

ENGLISH NOT BRITISH!

as billy bragg once sang 'britain isn't cool you know, it's really not that great. it's not a proper country, it doesn't even have a patron saint - it's just an economic union that's past it's sell-by date'.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hmmm, I see The Dude is becoming popular here. If it weren't for the animated avatar ban, I'd change mine :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
can you pm me it? i watched the big lebowski last night it's lush

holy shit i only just noticed bodhi's avatar is the dude

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
mank said:
i actually find it somewhat disconcerting that there are jocks out there who not only don't care if england win, but will go so far as to support them.

ENGLISH NOT BRITISH!

as billy bragg once sang 'britain isn't cool you know, it's really not that great. it's not a proper country, it doesn't even have a patron saint - it's just an economic union that's past it's sell-by date'.

Billy Bragg is a knobhead though, always has been; no-one calls the US 'not a proper country' and they're younger than Britain and don't have a patron saint either.

I think the difference between, say, a German not supporting France if they weren't in it, and the England/Scotland thing is that an awful lot of 'English' people can find some Scottish or Welsh or Irish ancestors in their background (I know I can find all three) and of course, for the majority of English people there's simply no axe to grind with the Scots or Welsh, so a lot of us will root for them if England aren't playing. Wales, and Scotland in particular, will always have a good proportion of English haters, just because its the nature of the beast for the smaller nation to have a chip on their shoulder about the larger, and of course it sells newspapers.

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
Fuck the lot of you English wankers! We want fucking full independance! Individual English people are Ok, but as a nation..... you suck ass big time!

Hope you get put out in the group stages. Hope you field Rooney and he breaks his fucking leg again. Arrogant bastards - on the so-called BBC news last night they were describing how he 'could play in all the finals..... including THE actual final of the World Cup. I'll say it again... arrogant c u n t s .... you deserve nothing more than humiliating defeat and shame!*

* The view expressed here are mine..... after a few pints :)

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
dont worry...so do we :)

Sooo...... why don't you DEMAND an English parliament then? i.e. not the one at Westminster? We want a divorce..... dissolve the Union!

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
On the news the other night a flag making company based in the UK has sold out of Paraguay flags. Turns out there has been huge orders from Scotland with one night club hanging them up ready for saturday night :/. Looks like the Scots are supporting any team that play England.

I guess it is meant to be good humoured in a similar way when England play Germany. They are always the team to beat, but there is no real reason why we should pick them out of any other team? :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Now now Will, the BBC are fairly good at commentating. It's the god awful ITV coverage that winds everyone up :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
Are you saying that I'm not allowed to support England Mank? (</non serious tone>

And just to agree with what Trem says... I am indeed on G's side. No bitterness from this Jock.

It's funny though. I work in England at the moment and am continually in cars with Engineers that I haven't met before. They always start off with "Oh your scottish? Can't fucking talk about the world cup then.... Do you watch Big Brother?"

Dweller

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
3 - If England should play Argentina, passing reference to the Falkland Isles should be made at some point in the match.

You missed the obligatory references to Diego Maradona, and the 'hand of god' incident, although that's probably in any game Argentina play, not just against England.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Mofo8 said:
Fuck the lot of you English wankers! We want fucking full independance! Individual English people are Ok, but as a nation..... you suck ass big time!

Cool, i'm all for scottish independance..

Can we have all our money back though, london can't afford to subsidise your tennants super drinking bums any more :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
yaruar said:
Cool, i'm all for scottish independance..

Can we have all our money back though, london can't afford to subsidise your tennants super drinking bums any more :)

Yeah fair do's. We'll hang onto our oil and all your monarchy's cash tho. You also have to remember, if we get independence, all of a sudden all your favourite stuff (TV, Telephone, Penicillin, the Bank of England etc) will have been invented by Jocky Fereigner. Not gonna do your national pride much good is it? Still at least you had your Empire eh?

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
Scotland is the only country that actually got poorer after discovering oil.

We pay some of the highest prices in Europe for fuel, yet 70% of Europe's oil reserves lie within Scottish waters.

One of the perverse things about the current political situation in the UK is that it looks like you English are shortly going to have a Scottish Prime Minister and mainly senior Scottish cabinet ministers. They'll be able to legislate and vote on things for England (like transport and education) that English MPs can't affect in Scotland ('cause these are devolved matters). Votes in Westminster have been won and lost recently purely on the strength of Scottish, Welsh and N. Ireland MPs voting.

Even I can see that's a bit unfair, and there are only two solutions. Either dissolve the Union and grant Scotland (and Wales and N. Ireland) independence, or set up an English Parliament with the same powers as the Scottish one. But then Westminster would only be responsible for non-devolved matters such as defence and foreign policy.

mank!

Part of the furniture
leggy said:
Are you saying that I'm not allowed to support England Mank? (</non serious tone>

of course you can, but scotland is playing in the world cup.

i would never support the scottish, welsh or northern irish at football. however, i do support the republic as my dad grew up in ireland. despite this, he refuses to support england. miserable bastard.

i've still not worked out how to fly my england flag :)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Mofo8 said:
Scotland is the only country that actually got poorer after discovering oil.

We pay some of the highest prices in Europe for fuel, yet 70% of Europe's oil reserves lie within Scottish waters.

One of the perverse things about the current political situation in the UK is that it looks like you English are shortly going to have a Scottish Prime Minister and mainly senior Scottish cabinet ministers. They'll be able to legislate and vote on things for England (like transport and education) that English MPs can't affect in Scotland ('cause these are devolved matters). Votes in Westminster have been won and lost recently purely on the strength of Scottish, Welsh and N. Ireland MPs voting.

Even I can see that's a bit unfair, and there are only two solutions. Either dissolve the Union and grant Scotland (and Wales and N. Ireland) independence, or set up an English Parliament with the same powers as the Scottish one. But then Westminster would only be responsible for non-devolved matters such as defence and foreign policy.

Although to be fair, north sea oil was discovered by the english, it just happened to be in your waters :)

That and north sea oil isn't old enough to be used for petrol so it's a bit pants really :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom