Question Sci-Fi

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Roughnecks (the CG animated starship troopers) is pretty good, although unfortunately it doesn't have an ending.

Apart from that...

You know they actually made the last episode of that but have never released it? Incredibly frustrating, because Roughnecks was far closer to Heinlein than the Verhoeven movie.

TBH, Its about time for a new space opera; SGU isn't doing it for me, and its kind of sad that in the literary world the genre has moved on massively, but on TV we're still stuck with endless variants of the Star Trek theme. I'd love something as sophisticated as Revelation Space or the Culture novels on screen.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I like pretty much all the Star Treks except the last one, it was shit from the starting sequence, some sort of cheesy Brian Adams come Christian Rock.

We need a darker star trek set in one of the wars.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My GF loves the new Star Trek. I think it's a bit 'meh' for one reason: It in no way resembles Star Trek.

The main problem I have with it is the existence of money. Others include the fact that Spock is obviously human, I'm surprised that he doesn't spend half the film blubbing, the massive bitch. Oh, and product placement in a Star Trek film is also fucking annoying.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
I like pretty much all the Star Treks except the last one, it was shit from the starting sequence, some sort of cheesy Brian Adams come Christian Rock.

We need a darker star trek set in one of the wars.

you mean like the last 4 seasons of DS9??

try watching V
its old its cheesy but i love it theyve just started doing a remake too which is also not too bad

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've seen the old V and I've been watching the new one (which is reasonably watchable chod IMO).

Maybe Sci-Fi is still much too small a market? Lets face it - the good ole US of A is responsible for producing much of the sci-fi and yet it's a country populated by porky retards. Maybe there's simply not enough clever ones to to be worth investing in risky highbrow ventures in a genre that's the traditional stomping ground of reasonably intelligent people?

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
theres plenty of sci fi created they just can it after 1 season because it didnt get 1 billion viewers etc ive seen some good shows that got canned for no apparent reason

firefly been no1 in that list what a show and they canned it

theres always heroes not everyones cup of tea but i like it

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
hereos SHOULD have been cancelled after one season, everyone would still appreciate it then.

Firefly was brilliant, but it's not number one on that list. That goes to Space: Above and Beyond by a country mile.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't count Heroes as sci-fi tho. Science fiction.

Heroes is a thinly-veiled team-superman gig.

Firefly, on the other hand, was wonderful. I'd say it was scuppered rather than canned tho ;)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
space above and beyond was very good shame it didnt get past series one, but i think it was competing against babylon 5 at the time and that was numero un. i remember it being on very late bout midnite when i watched it remember an episode with a chig ace that the wildcards went after must have loved it cos its one of the episodes that i remember.

we need more sci fi stuff thats full of big capital ships n shit like that its very bland and tame atm focusing more on aliens n stuff like that

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
bah cant edit last post this show just hit me i thought it was fantastic

Dark Skies set in the 60's it was really dark was about alien infiltration sure most of you know about it also starred a pre voyager jeri ryan lookin very hot!

was another called threshold as well which got canned didnt really get going but it had some good episodes and a good premise worth a watch.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
you mean like the last 4 seasons of DS9??

try watching V
its old its cheesy but i love it theyve just started doing a remake too which is also not too bad

Yes, but that had a shit cast and a shit enemy. The only decent thing about it was the Defiant.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
My GF loves the new Star Trek. I think it's a bit 'meh' for one reason: It in no way resembles Star Trek.

The main problem I have with it is the existence of money. Others include the fact that Spock is obviously human, I'm surprised that he doesn't spend half the film blubbing, the massive bitch. Oh, and product placement in a Star Trek film is also fucking annoying.

LENS FLAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrreeeeeee!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah, we do both call it Lensflaretrek :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's got nice touches though, I am still especially fond of the "redsuit" babbling on about getting to kick some butt.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's got nice touches though, I am still especially fond of the "redsuit" babbling on about getting to kick some butt.

I hate that bit. Anyone noticed that English people are beginning to be increasingly portrayed as thick motherfuckers in US films nowadays?

The English used to be the preserve of ridiculously intelligent evil bad guys.

To be fair tho - it's nearly always cockneys. And southerners are all thick as shit ;)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
To be fair tho - it's nearly always cockneys. And southerners are all thick as shit ;)

I'd be more insulted if you notherners didn't all have such ridiculous accents.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd be more insulted if you notherners didn't all have such ridiculous accents.

It's natures way of balancing out the fact that we've all got such massive cocks :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Plus some sort of delusional personality disorder. :D

Its a hard life up north. You'd have thought our massive cocks would comfort us but because of our delusional personality disorders we think that all the women in the world dislike us, when the exact opposite is true :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You want to be comforted by massive cocks?

Fucking weirdo tbh.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
By massive cocks do you mean genetically modified 50ft tall roosters?

Because they'd be a fucking pain in the mornings.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Because they'd be a fucking pain in the mornings.

They have that in common with massive penises* too.

*Internet, please note, there's no such word as penii. IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU LOOK CLEVAR LIKE STEVAN FRY IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A FUCKING MORON.

That is all.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Oh, a mini gem that seems to be largely overlooked, though not really sci fi. Mini series called Ultraviolet. Nothing to do with the pile o' shite movie, its a very understated British vampire 4-parter made before Jack Davenport started making pirate movies.

Finding some of the previous comments interesting. I agree regarding the Roughnecks animated series, it was good. At least, the ones I saw. I didn't follow it religiously.

Oh and one piece of awesomeness nobody's mentioned yet: Galaxy Quest. Still cracks me up and I've watched the DVD loads of times now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Got Galaxy Quest. Sci-fi comedy action :)

I've just been thinking: Zardoz! Something I can't remember well that's definately sci-fi and has Sean Connery in it!

Unfortunately, what I seem to remember is its shitness. But we'll see.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Got Galaxy Quest. Sci-fi comedy action :)

I've just been thinking: Zardoz! Something I can't remember well that's definately sci-fi and has Sean Connery in it!

Unfortunately, what I seem to remember is its shitness. But we'll see.

Isn't this all you need to know about Zardoz?
3EweN.jpg

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
chipper, the episode of Space: Above and Beyond that you remember was "The Angriest Angel" when the colonel went up against Chiggy Von Richtofen. and it had one of the best comeback lines in sci-fi history.
Commodore Glen Van Ross: I'll be a son of a bitch if I go to your funeral, Ty.
Lt. Col. Tyrus Cassius "TC" McQueen: Yes you would sir. But we'll talk about your mother when I get back.
More capital ships is definitely something I'd be interested in seeing. :)
Dark Skies was alright, and I liked the way Steele became Charles Manson.
Threshold was one series that I really REALLY wish had got a decent chance. I liked it more than a lot of other series and Carla Gugino was only a small part of that.

Lethul, when George Lucas was coming up with "Star Wars", he was heavily influenced by E.E "Doc" Smith's Lensman series of books. JMS (the guy behind B5) has come up with a script for a Lensman film recently and there's talk of pushing it through. If you've never read the series, go off and read it. The scale gets bigger and bigger with each book. The ships start off meaty and get just more and more devastating and faster and faster.

nath, it's a J.J.Abrams production. Of course there's lens flare. It's one of the reasons I like Fringe so much because a lens flare usually means something odd is happening or about to happen. :)

Roo, I've got Ultraviolet series as a boxset on DVD. It's actually a 6-part series and I personally rate it one of the better examples of british TV production. It not only had Jack Davenport, but it also had Stephen Moyer playing a vampire 10 years before he played Bill Compton in "True Blood".

Zardoz is a guilty pleasure because it is SO terrible, but it's also rivetting viewing. John Boorman later went on to make Excalibur which is one of the better King Arthur films.

I'm in the middle of reading Kevin J Anderson's "Saga Of The Seven Suns" series of books. It's not bad because you need to keep track of a number of story threads but it boils down to water vs fire vs air vs earth battle of the elements with humanity caught in the middle.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
There was another awesome line in that episode zenith - the bit where he replies to the priest ^^

Priest: Colonel. Colonel! Colonel McQueen! Do you need to make peace with your maker.

Lt. Col. Tyrus Cassius "TC" McQueen: My maker was some geek in a lab coat with an eyedropper and a petri dish. What do I need to make peace with him for?

Priest: In times of war we must all make peace with our maker.

Lt. Col. Tyrus Cassius "TC" McQueen: Well, I don't think our maker wants to hear from me right now. Because he know I'm going to go out in this plane and I'm going to remove one of His creations from His universe. And when I get back, I'm going to drink a bottle of scotch as if it was Chiggy Von Richtofen's blood and celebrate his death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom