Question Sci-Fi

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I love it. I can't get enough. And Sci-Fi. (badum 'tish!)

Specifically, I'm talking about films/TV. I've watched all of my sci-fi, more than once in most cases - and I want more!

I'm sick of this conversation:

Me: "Wanna watch film?"
Bird: "Yeah, go on"
Me (facing first set of shelves of DVD's): "What one?"
Bird: "Dunno"
Me (facing second set of shelves of DVD's): "Hmmmmmmm. Seen it all"

Yet I do it all the time. And I go look at my DVD collection again. And again. And again. Despite the fact that I've pretty much stopped buying films ever since I became old enough to realise that it's a stupid venture...

I need a hot sci-fi injection. What's the best out there?

If it is centred around space it'd be a bonus :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Whenever in doubt; 5th element ;)

Sci-fi reminds me though; gotta find a copy of battlefield earth, still haven't seen this "masterpiece" and dying to know if it's really THAT bad.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Gattaca/Moon/Cargo ^^for the holy trinity of distopian space films.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Times like this its good to go dig out the old classics like Forbidden Planet, Them!, The Day The Earth Stood Still, the original Invaders From Mars and of course When Worlds Collide.

I recently got my hands on Buck Rogers in the 25the Century TV series and been chuckling like mad at the awesome cheese.

For more obscure fun, there's Android, with Klaus Kinski, which is a bit of a minor budget classic.

For a sustained dose of awesome, it never hurts to dig out Farscape or Firefly/Serenity.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I actually like Stargate Universe and the next season is days away so give that a spin if you're bored.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I just watched Moon a few days back, really enjoyed it. Very 70's sci-fi feel (which was intentional, apparently).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've got Cargo to watch (that swedish? one that someone mentioned on here a while back). So that's good.

Also, I've not seen Android (that the same year as the Terminator?), so that's good too.

I love Moon, Gattaca, 5th Element, Firefly and I've got the TV-movie of Buck Rogers - the funky disco dance music that Buck makes the future-band play is my ringtone!

I've recently watched all of Star Trek, DS9, Babylon 5, SG1, SG:Atlantis and all of Universe so far. Yes, my IQ has dropped considerably as a result of the Stargates in particular, but I'm willing to risk even more!

The rest? Seen 'em all. Althoug t'bird won't have seen some of 'em. I own several of 'em too. Made her watch Day of the Triffids the other day (but that only just counts)...

Yep. It's a deep deep sci-fi hole I've dug myself. Only the rope of new releases will be my, er, release if you lot don't save me! :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You've obviously seen all of BSG right, as in the recent one?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Would Sanctuary count as sci-fi? Think so. That's a nice lil bit, though i think it's cancelled already. 2 seasons out if i'm not mistaken.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You've obviously seen all of BSG right, as in the recent one?

Yep. And I've got the old TV movie on video. And I watched that the other week. :(

I think we started with Sanctuary, but since it's been cancelled...

rynnor

Rockhound
Quatermass 1,2 and The Pit, Day of the Triffids (1980s series - rest are shite), Nightmare Man (for cheesy scottish accents), Village of the Damned - 1960 version, It came from Outer Space - 1953, The Blob - 1958, Earth vs The flying Saucers - 1956.

Many are cheap on amazon atmo.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Play Star Trek Online, I'll help you blow up some Klingons? ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bab5's on the list Mabs. Watched it when it was first aired then watched it again with the bird this time last year.

It seems that there's not enough sci-fi in the world :(

Why is this so badly catered for? I bet there's hundreds of millions of hours of smarmy, soap opera wank. I mean, even in the UK we produce so many chav soaps that if you included the backstory there's probably enough hours to fill the rest of your life with.

Need. More. Sci-fi!

Of a televisual variety Meg ;)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Space: Above and Beyond ftw.

If you don't mind anime then the space opera genre opens to you and is full of great stuff.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nice suggestion - I'd thought anime. I quite like some of the stuff, but the bird hates it. Even the good shit (she can't get past the style - which she detests) :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Fringe is back soon too. Only thing that hasn't been mentioned as far as I can see, m,ost bases have been covered.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Nice suggestion - I'd thought anime. I quite like some of the stuff, but the bird hates it. Even the good shit (she can't get past the style - which she detests) :(

What specifically have you tried to get her into?
Does she just equate cartoons=kids?

I think Cowboy Bebop is good, but also Robotech ( first season - kind of like SAAB, it's more a war story in space - lots of death of characters/etc ), Nadesco maybe, Outlaw Star, Trigun.

Less space opera and more dystopia - Speed Grapher ( fucking awesome ), Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Noir, Samurai 7 ( Seven samurai anime remake ), loads more.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Oh and if she only equates anime=kids, download Rainbow - it's about a group of japanese kids in a delinquents home post-ww2, I'm not sure if its the first or second episode where the lead character ( male ) is raped by the doctor ( male ).

( Really really good anime but very adult ).

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Serenity/firefly ?

but indeed not enough sci fi to make me happy :(

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Watch Ghost in the Shell. The 2nd film is ok, but a bit slow. The standalone series, both seasons and the following TV movie are pretty awesome if you like cyber-punk/anime.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Man. This thread is depressing!

ECA - yep, I've tried her on Ghost in the Shell, Akira and a couple of others. A mates got Cowboy Bebop and I've seen the first 5 or so of them - really good. Not seen Robotech tho - but again it'll be one for me by myself as she simply doesn't like the manga style. Maybe tho :)

She's got got Event Horizon (which is more horror than sci-fi). And she bought Pandorum (I can't decide whether it was a massive pile of shit or OK but it's along the same lines).

I've seen Total Recall a bazillion times (the trains in Amsterdam remind me very much of the trains on Mars!) and other than that there's little Arnie Sci-Fi love.

Gah! The world needs more space ships and wars in film format! :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Roughnecks (the CG animated starship troopers) is pretty good, although unfortunately it doesn't have an ending.

Apart from that...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Cowboy Bebop, and otherwise..I am spent :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Can't you ask your st00dent mates you lazy fuck?

Come on Teeds. Pull a sci-fi monster out of the bag! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom