Save The Internet.

Grimnna

Fledgling Freddie
Sparx said:
so long as i can play the banjo, i will learn its raining men if thats suits you

Ehrmmmm... dude I just tried to explain I'm not gay, and off all the songs in the world you pick *that* one :eek7:

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
its raining men fucking rocks, especially when its actually raining and acoustic.

B

Benedictine

Of course with all the gay dancing you will obviously need some form of lighting effect.

I recommend a shiny crystal disco-type ball that shimmers in the moonlight. Preferably made of natural materials such as puffer fish scales, pumpkin and some straw.

Oh and if they lock this thread it will become obvious that we are being monitored by 'agencies' and so I also recommend we say no more...

Calaen

if it gets that bad people just wont use it and companies that do will suffer, the government will understand this :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Calaen said:
if it gets that bad people just wont use it and companies that do will suffer, the government will understand this :)

You really think people will stop using the internet do you?

Calaen

Tbh if I dont like a service I dont use it. I could live without the internet before it came along I could do it again, I like the simple life. I would choose a cabin with a log fire in the middle of no-where, with a book ahead of most things in this world that includes the internet. ASlong as I can still buy food with the money I earn im a happy guy.

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
A little update.
How does this threat to Internet freedom affect you?

Google users—Another search engine could pay dominant Internet providers like AT&T to guarantee the competing search engine opens faster than Google on your computer.
Innovators with the "next big idea"—Startups and entrepreneurs will be muscled out of the marketplace by big corporations that pay Internet providers for dominant placing on the Web. The little guy will be left in the "slow lane" with inferior Internet service, unable to compete.
Ipod listeners—A company like Comcast could slow access to iTunes, steering you to a higher-priced music service that it owned.
Political groups—Political organizing could be slowed by a handful of dominant Internet providers who ask advocacy groups to pay "protection money" for their websites and online features to work correctly.
Nonprofits—A charity's website could open at snail-speed, and online contributions could grind to a halt, if nonprofits can't pay dominant Internet providers for access to "the fast lane" of Internet service.
Online purchasers—Companies could pay Internet providers to guarantee their online sales process faster than competitors with lower prices—distorting your choice as a consumer.
Small businesses and tele-commuters—When Internet companies like AT&T favor their own services, you won't be able to choose more affordable providers for online video, teleconferencing, Internet phone calls, and software that connects your home computer to your office.
Parents and retirees—Your choices as a consumer could be controlled by your Internet provider, steering you to their preferred services for online banking, health care information, sending photos, planning vacations, etc.
Bloggers—Costs will skyrocket to post and share video and audio clips—silencing citizen journalists and putting more power in the hands of a few corporate-owned media outlets.

Blocking Innovation

The threat to an open internet isn't just speculation -- we've seen what happens when the Internet's gatekeepers get too much control. These companies, even, have said as much about their plans to discriminate online. According to the Washington Post:

"William L. Smith, chief technology officer for Atlanta-based BellSouth Corp., told reporters and analysts that an Internet service provider such as his firm should be able, for example, to charge Yahoo Inc. for the opportunity to have its search site load faster than that of Google Inc."

Such corporate control of the Web would reduce your choices and stifle the spread of innovative and independent ideas that we've come to expect online. It would throw the digital revolution into reverse. Internet gatekeepers are already discriminating against Web sites and services they don't like:
In 2004, North Carolina ISP Madison River blocked their DSL customers from using any rival Web-based phone service.

In 2005, Canada's telephone giant Telus blocked customers from visiting a Web site sympathetic to the Telecommunications Workers Union during a contentious labor dispute.

Shaw, a major Canadian cable, internet, and telephone service company, intentionally downgrades the "quality and reliability" of competing Internet-phone services that their customers might choose -- driving customers to their own phone services not through better services, but by rigging the marketplace.

In April, Time Warner's AOL blocked all emails that mentioned www.dearaol.com -- an advocacy campaign opposing the company's pay-to-send e-mail scheme.

This is just the beginning. Cable and telco giants want to eliminate the Internet's open road in favor of a tollway that protects their status quo while stifling new ideas and innovation. If they get their way, they'll shut down the free flow of information and dictate how you use the Internet.

Calaen

according to the washington post... lol I thought you said you didnt believe any of the shit governments tell you :p

Marc

FH is my second home
Joor said:
A little update.
How does this threat to Internet freedom affect you?

Google users—Another search engine could pay dominant Internet providers like AT&T to guarantee the competing search engine opens faster than Google on your computer.
Innovators with the "next big idea"—Startups and entrepreneurs will be muscled out of the marketplace by big corporations that pay Internet providers for dominant placing on the Web. The little guy will be left in the "slow lane" with inferior Internet service, unable to compete.
Ipod listeners—A company like Comcast could slow access to iTunes, steering you to a higher-priced music service that it owned.
Political groups—Political organizing could be slowed by a handful of dominant Internet providers who ask advocacy groups to pay "protection money" for their websites and online features to work correctly.
Nonprofits—A charity's website could open at snail-speed, and online contributions could grind to a halt, if nonprofits can't pay dominant Internet providers for access to "the fast lane" of Internet service.
Online purchasers—Companies could pay Internet providers to guarantee their online sales process faster than competitors with lower prices—distorting your choice as a consumer.
Small businesses and tele-commuters—When Internet companies like AT&T favor their own services, you won't be able to choose more affordable providers for online video, teleconferencing, Internet phone calls, and software that connects your home computer to your office.
Parents and retirees—Your choices as a consumer could be controlled by your Internet provider, steering you to their preferred services for online banking, health care information, sending photos, planning vacations, etc.
Bloggers—Costs will skyrocket to post and share video and audio clips—silencing citizen journalists and putting more power in the hands of a few corporate-owned media outlets.

Blocking Innovation

The threat to an open internet isn't just speculation -- we've seen what happens when the Internet's gatekeepers get too much control. These companies, even, have said as much about their plans to discriminate online. According to the Washington Post:

"William L. Smith, chief technology officer for Atlanta-based BellSouth Corp., told reporters and analysts that an Internet service provider such as his firm should be able, for example, to charge Yahoo Inc. for the opportunity to have its search site load faster than that of Google Inc."

Such corporate control of the Web would reduce your choices and stifle the spread of innovative and independent ideas that we've come to expect online. It would throw the digital revolution into reverse. Internet gatekeepers are already discriminating against Web sites and services they don't like:
In 2004, North Carolina ISP Madison River blocked their DSL customers from using any rival Web-based phone service.

In 2005, Canada's telephone giant Telus blocked customers from visiting a Web site sympathetic to the Telecommunications Workers Union during a contentious labor dispute.

Shaw, a major Canadian cable, internet, and telephone service company, intentionally downgrades the "quality and reliability" of competing Internet-phone services that their customers might choose -- driving customers to their own phone services not through better services, but by rigging the marketplace.

In April, Time Warner's AOL blocked all emails that mentioned www.dearaol.com -- an advocacy campaign opposing the company's pay-to-send e-mail scheme.

This is just the beginning. Cable and telco giants want to eliminate the Internet's open road in favor of a tollway that protects their status quo while stifling new ideas and innovation. If they get their way, they'll shut down the free flow of information and dictate how you use the Internet.

im pretty sure none of this will happen and even if it does, its not gonna effect me is it? Only websites I visit are FH www.rlfans.com and www.redvee.net

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i hear what you are saying Joor. I have heard about some ISP blocking skype etc.

But i honestly believe if something like that happens we will end up with an Easyinternet starting up providing low cost internet. Just like Easy do with everything

Not everyone will bow down and take it up the arse

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
im pretty sure none of this will happen and even if it does, its not gonna effect me is it? Only websites I visit are FH www.rlfans.com and www.redvee.net

So as long as it doesnt affect you its ok? Nice attitude.

Internet cencorship already affects billions of people, for example the entire population of the Chineese nation. Here is a little something i found on a swedish site (http://www.nattvakt.com/nnv/060606google.htm).

"I knew that Google was censoring its content within China. What I didn't know was they were actively supporting the suppression of free speech there. I just received on DVD from ARI a lecture by Yaron Brook which tells how Google and Yahoo automatically send to the Chinese government the internet address of anyone who types certain key words such as "liberty". As a result a number of innocent people have been jailed for terms of ten years"

Calaen

Remind me to thank you when you save the world from censorship Fana I will buy you a pint.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Benedictine said:
Remember when we didn't have the internet? I do and it wasn't so bad. Books, newspapers etc as you say. People actually talking IRL - doom!

Though pre-internet we didn't have freedom of speech - all media was controlled by 'deep throats' ...... ok right.

swosh, the point went just over his head

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
tbh i couldnt care less if internet2 "the revenge" (or whatever) filters out all the crap on the internet, i really dont care about some geeks blog about his fly collection, or real teen babes!!!11! If i search for something i want to find it, if i want to buy something i want to buy it from a reputable company, i am not interested in being the millionth customer or chosen at random by some spyware riddled shitsite. give internet2 where only real companies and orgisations can have URLs. everyone else can fucking burn.

(yes fed up of the current trash filled internet)

Lethul

FH is my second home
Calaen said:
I am just very happy in my life at the moment, why should I waste my time being concerened over something that does not exist. I might aswell start getting upset over the day I die its all bullshit.

cause when you get kids you want to make sure they get a good life aswell

Calaen

I totally agree with Ravens post, i would rather legitimate companies pay money to offer me services rather than the shite that is on the net at the moment.

Lethul I dont have kids yet so I dont concern myself yet. I certainly would not, not have children because Internet 2 is happening :p now if the was a plague and everyone was going to suffer then I would not bother.

Lethul

FH is my second home
its amazing how many people that misses the point totally about Internet2.
i can roughly translate some from the swedish page Fana posted to give you an idea what could happen if we get a goverment controller internet instead of a free one.

"You probably know about the two biggest searchengines on the net, Google and Yahoo, both cooperates with the chinese communist regim by censoring the newsflow and give specially "aimed" information about such things as the massacre of Tiananmen and the persecution of Falun Gong."

imagine a VERY "aimed"/censored news flow, indeed it is already abit today but we can search for news from alot of different views. if this happens we will only have 1 view of everything. the one in controll of this new internet could do almost anything and cover it up/blaming everyone else since he would "start" the news. the one who starts them controlls them.

it is not good at all

boycott-google-400-100.gif

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
agree with most of these things, the whole planet is going to shit with freedom being quashed almost everywhere. and such irony that it eminates from the US. Its why i am gonna escape the west and hopefully were i live will hold back the tide until i die.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Calaen said:
I totally agree with Ravens post, i would rather legitimate companies pay money to offer me services rather than the shite that is on the net at the moment.

okay so you dont want sites like freddyshouse, wikipedia, doom9 , pirate bay, hotu etc. ?

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
tbh i couldnt care less if internet2 "the revenge" (or whatever) filters out all the crap on the internet, i really dont care about some geeks blog about his fly collection, or real teen babes!!!11! If i search for something i want to find it, if i want to buy something i want to buy it from a reputable company, i am not interested in being the millionth customer or chosen at random by some spyware riddled shitsite. give internet2 where only real companies and orgisations can have URLs. everyone else can fucking burn.

(yes fed up of the current trash filled internet)

but then ur a middle aged stoner who is pretty stupid and cant see in things more than 2d.

The greater issue at hand is that its yet another step towards our civil liberties being taken away from us and control being given to the governments.

the most free place on earth right now? prolly mongolia and the outback of China, ironic given the communit influence there.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Some of you might remember the recent furor a few weeks ago when it was discovered the white house produced some 'news' segments gave them to FOX news and then fox news played them as real investigative news stories without disclosing they had be made by the white house. In it an iraqi/american told a camera crew "Thank you, Bush. Thank you, U.S.A.," it was recorded in Kansas City for a segment about reaction to the fall of Baghdad... This was on one of the biggest news services in the world. Personally I dont really want that to be my only source of news...

Outlander

Part of the furniture
[NO]Subedai said:
the most free place on earth right now? prolly mongolia and the outback of China, ironic given the communit influence there.

lol :D

oh and dont worry about ze interweb! I am downloading it atm so you can all get a copy from meee!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
well sites will just have to start charging then, not a huge problem for me, if something is worth using it is worth paying for. again the crap will be dropped (goes back to the warez thread ages ago) i dotn pay for the crap i DL freee, i dont care if the makers of crap games/films/TV go bust i pay for the decent releases and am happy to. same with the internet, i will gladly pay for something if its worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom