Save Mordred Once & For All

Garbmut

Fledgling Freddie
Also, I have suggested to wipe the server many times for a couple years on VN boards.

Anyone who is against it, please consider the alternative: your current situation, a dead server on life support.

While just a simple wipe would probably breath some life into the server, I think a wipe with additional small adjustments to the rules (reducing PLing, removing portaling while in combat, etc.) and a removal of instances and perhaps a reduction in zones would actually give the server a much better chance at prospering again. But I'd be afraid to add on these extra conditions since it is extra work and would make any change being done less likely.

Garbmut

Fledgling Freddie
I should add that I am not currently subscribed to DAoC and haven't been for quite some time. So Mythic would be adding me as a subscriber by making this decision.

Even though ywain has 2k population, it feels very dead and NF is unbearable, so I had to unsubscribe.

One worry I have about bringing Mordred back is that does Mythic even have the capacity to support more players? I think one thing holding them back is that they have reduced their resources in bandwidth and server power, which caused a lot of lag issues on Ywain and would only be worse if Mordred came back alive.

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
I should add that I am not currently subscribed to DAoC and haven't been for quite some time. So Mythic would be adding me as a subscriber by making this decision.

Even though ywain has 2k population, it feels very dead and NF is unbearable, so I had to unsubscribe.

One worry I have about bringing Mordred back is that does Mythic even have the capacity to support more players? I think one thing holding them back is that they have reduced their resources in bandwidth and server power, which caused a lot of lag issues on Ywain and would only be worse if Mordred came back alive.

Garbmut, I feel the same to be honest.

The reason I limited my proposal so much to just a server wipe and remove of /level is because I like you, believe it would hold back the proposal due to lack of resources...

If possible I would have all the instanced levelling dungeons removed, and in an ideal world (this is just me though, i'l play on anything if it gets me pvp) a classic pvp server limited to SI - there would be a lot more going on server-wise if it was all centred around DF/hib loop/and the OF - also this would reduce the gap between casual/hardcore players massively.

One thing I did think of suggesting was allowing players with the necessary experience to volunteer to provide part time work in customer services/coding/patching whatever - even if it's one day a week im sure there are many who would jump at this chance (so many talented coders on Shards/Uthgard team). Obviously they'd have to meet certain requirements and be under strict supervision of Mythic, but a nice idea I think - this would allow the rapidly dwindling workforce to bolster its manpower/resources and not cost a penny. Not sure how that would go down though, anything too much like a good idea seems to be spurned nowadays...

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie

One thing I thought I would add - regarding the lag issues, the renewal of Mordred would bring about a lot more subs money - which could easily handle the necessary server costs IMHO.

Toggers

One of Freddy's beloved
One thing I thought I would add - regarding the lag issues, the renewal of Mordred would bring about a lot more subs money - which could easily handle the necessary server costs IMHO.

I wouldnt renew for it, my experience of the server was similar to most in that it was chain ganking from higher levels and when the community or my experience of the community does that they were only contributing to the ineveitable downfall.

Whilst I do wish you sincerely the best of luck with it I do agree with the general feeling here, youre wasting your time, mythic wont do anything.

p.s. I know this aint helping, fact is I wouldnt renew for anything other than a massive overhaul of the complete game :) i.e. daoc 2 or nowt.

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Toggers,

Thanks for your opinon! As I said PvP isn't for everyone - and yes a DAoC2 would be dreamy :(

Everz

FH is my second home
I'm with Toggers in that a massive overhaul or nothing. DAoC in its current form isn't fun at all. I think it's best to let the old girl die out and focus on whatever is next.

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Massive overhaul = not gonna happen im afraid. It's gonna die out completely if nothing happens and I want one last run before it finally does to be honest.

Everz

FH is my second home
The last run is Ywain tbh. All the servers have had there time and DAoC just has had it's course. Mythic made a pigs ear out of what could have been a golden egg.

Gotmagi

Can't get enough of FH
The last run is Ywain tbh. All the servers have had there time and DAoC just has had it's course. Mythic made a pigs ear out of what could have been a golden egg.

Daoc has many more years to go tbh, still the best mmo out there. What ppl fail to understand is that when things change u have to adapt.

People still whine and want old frontiers back and no expansions bla bla.. if they think that the game would still be running if they hadnt made any change, they're foolish really.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
DAoC will keep going on aslong as the revenue it generates is more than the running costs. Keep a few shitty servers running and a handful of support and maintenance staff and aslong as it turns a tiny plus it'll keep going on forever

Everz

FH is my second home
Daoc has many more years to go tbh, still the best mmo out there. What ppl fail to understand is that when things change u have to adapt.

People still whine and want old frontiers back and no expansions bla bla.. if they think that the game would still be running if they hadnt made any change, they're foolish really.

Not true imho. The pot of people who will keep coming back is going to run dry soon tbh. Down to the last scrape of the barrel. You make a valid point about adapting and thus should be so. But you can't adapt to all your buds leaving now can you?

If I was to play again it would be on hib.. who from excalibur or killibury plays hib? Last time I checked I found about 2 people in my free 14 days who I knew.

People will go where there friends go, DAoC hasn't got long left imho. It should either go free-to-play, fresh classic start or something to revitalize soon tbh.

Gotmagi

Can't get enough of FH
Not true imho. The pot of people who will keep coming back is going to run dry soon tbh. Down to the last scrape of the barrel. You make a valid point about adapting and thus should be so. But you can't adapt to all your buds leaving now can you?

If I was to play again it would be on hib.. who from excalibur or killibury plays hib? Last time I checked I found about 2 people in my free 14 days who I knew.

People will go where there friends go, DAoC hasn't got long left imho. It should either go free-to-play, fresh classic start or something to revitalize soon tbh.

All I played with left, several times.. I found new friends to play with :) There's still the german transfers left to boost population again :)

Everz

FH is my second home
All I played with left, several times.. I found new friends to play with :) There's still the german transfers left to boost population again :)

True, but in the end people aren't going to bother. I usually made a new bunch of people to play with quite easy but community is pretty non-existant on Ywain and the cba factor sets in.

DAoC ain't long for the knackers yard too me tbh. If a half decent PvP game comes out.. it's game over.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
DAoC ain't long for the knackers yard too me tbh. If a half decent PvP game comes out.. it's game over.

People have been saying that for ages.

I think what they mean is - I don't want to play it anymore and I cannot be wrong. Therefore it must be past it and shite and about to shut.

I'm going to let my accounts lapse. Had a good run but tbh I've been searching for the old 8v8 scene from Pryd+Dyvet for a long time and not found it again. I should accept that it's just not going to happen and move on. I'm sure that the people that stay will have fun and good luck to them.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Daoc is what you make of it. If you dont mind grouping with new people from time to time, it is still great and there are still loads of opportunities to have a great time

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Thanks Gen

Nice idea, I thought about it before but wasn't sure if it would be worth it. Just posted a thread there with a short paragraph linking VN post to here.. so we'll see what happens!:)

My money is safely on the bet that fuck all happens.

The odds are so heavily in my favor there's no figure that goes that high... :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

Sure, but we have yet to have a half decent pvp game come out yet.

A few have looked promising but then ended up following WoW and their fucking battlegrounds.

I suppose Darkfall is the one that actually tried to do it properly but i just don't like that full loot crap so i'm not counting that one. :)

Everz

FH is my second home

I think what they mean is - I don't want to play it anymore and I cannot be wrong. Therefore it must be past it and shite and about to shut.

I'm going to let my accounts lapse. Had a good run but tbh I've been searching for the old 8v8 scene from Pryd+Dyvet for a long time and not found it again. I should accept that it's just not going to happen and move on. I'm sure that the people that stay will have fun and good luck to them.

And what decent PvP game has come out?

Each game has taken a chunk of the population either way. Rift has taken a hit (massive in terms).. another one and DAoC is dead and buried.

Free to play or classic is the way to stimulate some life into it.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
And what decent PvP game has come out?

Each game has taken a chunk of the population either way. Rift has taken a hit (massive in terms).. another one and DAoC is dead and buried.

Free to play or classic is the way to stimulate some life into it.

People have been saying that since WoW; DAoC is still running afaik. There've been many games that have been acclaimed by PvP'rs - Darkfall being one and I'd personally suggest Eve. DAoC has life in the old dog and it'll keep trundling along. Maybe not in a form that you like but there's plenty of people playing that do like it (me not being one of them).

EA aren't going to make changes as it's uneconomic. This doesn't mean it's dead, it just means it will never have anything exciting happen (apart from nerfing scouts slam).

{edit} seem to be going for an epic derail here so I'll stop waffling on about this.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
EA/Mythic aint gonna do anything , 100's of people have mordred 50's but just choose not to log them me included as you assume nobody else is online as you can no longer see the server pop on server select screen

shaark

Loyal Freddie
EA/Mythic aint gonna do anything , 100's of people have mordred 50's but just choose not to log them me included as you assume nobody else is online as you can no longer see the server pop on server select screen

True, EA/Mythic dont even bother to do an official forum of the game , why they should bother to listen the players

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
True, EA/Mythic dont even bother to do an official forum of the game , why they should bother to listen the players

So wrong they do listen to players ONLY Wrong buggers..........:lol:

They listen to idiotic Americans who are totally brainless as most changes have come from them moaning like old women that Warloks OP'd Scouts OP'd Animist have to many pets etc etc.... instead of listening to the people who played game and wanted what was best for the servers.

NF totally crap but yet Americans don't moan they like all towers and keeps yet the best fun was I believe everyone would agree was done on OF as it had a base for Everyone from 8v8's Zerg and Soloers.

Yes they listened but took no notice and are happy to keep taking you money until there not enough for the Hamster food then they turn the lights off.

KeepTake

Fledgling Freddie
If people would login to Mordred to re-gear, farm scales, glass, ML10, XP or w/e and do it not /anon it would help.

A small population is a start and I would be willing to help out with free loot, scales, glass, take a few keeps w/e people want really.

Everz

FH is my second home
We tried before when merges were mentioned and got a steady pop again. A couple months ago someone posted on ywain VN that a couple people were fighting in oceanus, within an hour the server was at 100ish pop a few hours of pvp broke out.

If people know its there, then they will come.

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
If you build it, they will come...

Getting off-topic, but nice ideas... if people start showing interest again it may encourage mods to take action!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom