Save Mordred Once & For All

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
So I was feeling very nostagic and sick of the fact that there are 0 MMORPGS that do it for me today and im having to resort to Faith PVP...Decided to post this on DAoC FB page. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated!

Dear Daoc/Mythic/All Concerned.

I am writing to ask, no endear you, please make even the smallest of efforts to get Mordred back on it's feet!

I came from the Euro servers so missed the death of Mordred (all the cheating etc).

Playing DAoC pvp servers, Mordred/Andred early days then Camlann was deffinitely the highlight of my gaming career and it saddens me to see only remaining pvp server completely dead!

I know on the Euro servers they had a Project Camlann at one point which briefly revived the server, which was quite fun and I enjoyed!

Now I can't speak for the general DAoc population but i'm going to hazard at a guess at why nobody will play the server now...

1) There is a small amount of players who are fully temped in full ML10 gear at high RR who make things impossible for new players (inevitable but stil)
2) The population was dead - around 4/5 per day - when I last checked, making there no incentive for new players to log on.
3) There is too much bad blood from the destruction of the server (the money cheat or something I believe it was).

What I Propose To Alter The Current State;

1) Wipe the character base and server completely and get rid of the /level 40 stupidness.

Obviously a lot of people will speak out against this and label it ridiculous, but if you really think about what are you going to lose? As it stands nobody plays the server and you can't enjoy it yourself. If the server was wiped and everybody started afresh, it would give you a chance to re-form old guilds and friendships for one last run (for nostalgia even) before the playerbase finally dies (if it ever does)!

No matter what you possessed in terms of 100s of plat, ML10 weps RPS etc, as it stands, they are useless.

How To Achieve This;

Simple - post a simple Poll on Camelotherald and IGN forums. Two SIMPLE answers to one SIMPLE question.

1) If Mordred were to undergo a complete server wipe back to it's original state, including the removal of the /level 40 ability, would you return to play?

YES
or
NO

Arguments Against;

1) Now i'm not up to date by any means on the current consensus of the DAoC playerbase, but I can imagine they would go something like this;

- It would split the playerbase too much and we don't want to do that

(The playerbase currently sits at 2k. There are up to 1k players at primetime currently on Uthgard, and 100-200 who shift from pvp shard to pvp shard. Lets apply a law of averages here and say even 400-500 from freeshards try out Mordred, that has already resulted in 400-500 new subscription renewals = profit to continue investing in a rapidly dwindling player base)

- What about the players on Ywain? It might ruin the rvr there!

Again im no expert, but I played Ywain a few months ago and from what I saw/heard yes the people enjoy the rvr occasionally... But, a vast majority of the community seem to constantly leave and return periodically due to boredom and nostalgia/love of the game. Once back, they soon become frustrated with the ridiculous 2/3 buffbot running/zerg riding madness/dragon farming nonsense that is today's DAoC.

From this we have to again take into account the fact that probably half the pop will flock to Mordred if its successful in the first week. From there half will then return to RvR as it's what they know and love. So thats 500 people. Again i'm just pulling wild figures from my head, im sure somebody else could do the math a lot better.

So worst case scenario;

1) The server fails after a few months, the players from Ywain return to Ywain, believe me, they aren't going to leave after 10 years if they are still there now, they are the core players who will fight on till the end.

2) You gain 500 or so more players - lets be honest probably a LOT more if it's succesfuly marketed, if only for a few months even if only 100-200 of these nostalgia renews stay on to play Camelot full-time, you've injected life into the playerbase and done something pro-active rather than sitting back and watch the playerbase dwindle and fail.

COST TO IMPLEMENT - 0
COS TO MARKET - 0, it will market itself I assure you.

A lot more I could add.. but i'm not sure if this will be ignored/flamed (probably). But hell, I miss my damn PvP server! DAoC FTW!

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Pvp servers were for elitetists people who didnt care for new people, so imo you have burried your own grave

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Well your entitled to your opinion, pvp wasn't for everyone I guess. But judging from recent threads on this forum, i saw some posts from yourself included on the relic/siege sticky, the playerbase in general are not happy with the current state of affairs - this discontent seems to stem from the fact the game has grown stale/is flawed. Even if you disliked PvP at the time surely this is an opportunity to give it another shot with your own friends from Ywain, people who 'care' as you say? Even just to inject some life and excitement into the game for a while?

Everz

FH is my second home
Pvp servers were for elitetists people who didnt care for new people, so imo you have burried your own grave

PvP was so far superior to RvR that you wouldnt know.

Someone being an absolute twat to you?.. go kill them.
Odins PLing at tempters?.. keep ae dotting there bots then loling away with a victory chant!
Fancy some lols? Login at 4am with Axty and co running an 8man in goth screaming LOG JOO 50s, not realising everyone had fcked off to Cots.

I miss Camlann :<. Alongside a fresh start server, the rebirth of PvP would be the only way i'd come back to DAoC.

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Everz i'm glad you agree! - Personally I believe that the cut-throat attitude of PvP is what helped forge the strongest community links.

You have the people you love to hate - Odins for example. Not only this but some of the most skilled daoc players/guilds have come from the pvp environment (again IMHO) - Requiem (I remember being in awe of them in the early days!) Fear (another truly great guild) Horde, Public Enemy, Slayers & Legends (oooooldskool Mord/Andred). The list goes on and on. Again these guilds had very srong community links and are much more memorable in my mind than any RvR guilds, purely because the whole server was reliant on guilds/personal alliances to survive.

I don't understand why it hasn't been done already, it would require little to no effort on the part of the Mythic team and what would it lose? I've already explained my argument in the post above... I'm pretty sure if a sufficient amount of people showed support it is well within the realms of possibility! Well, heres to hoping!

Everz

FH is my second home
8v8 in hib loop was something else tbh. The relic problem that came with NF did its part in killing PvP however, on Mordred we had Sin Vada holding 6 relics for something silly, combined with Warlocks it was pretty much impossible to take the relics from them till Mythic swung the nerfbat in their direction.

Do miss fighting in Aegir.. hiding my bot under it or in the hills near docks.. the amount of qqs you got was immense. In terms of Camlanns death.. hello GoA.

Everz

FH is my second home
To add, The problem with Mordred came is once the pop dropped below that magic 200 then everyone decided to leave. You get a 3-figure pop and watch them flog in, this happened when Mythic were talking of a merger.

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Some good points Everz. I think all these points aside however these can be problems with any server. From what i've read so far (im gonna do a bit of research in a bit) the real problem is the massive amount of cheating and the way it was responded to that killed the server.

The population was destroyed - nothing was done to rectify the damage caused - I don't know off the top of my head what could be done maybe revert the server a week or so fix the glitch and apologise and offer some benefit for lost time.

Yes it can be annoying to have a guild with all 6 relics on a pvp server - but it makes others strive to topple them and it's part of the game, the strong survive after all. But it's only one guild amongst a server of potentially 1-2k.

The warlocks and new classes again were a big problem, but I think DAoC has got to the point where we can 100% say there will be no new classes/MLs things of that nature implemented. As it stands there are imbalances, but generally a lot better than it was originally. The problem ? - everyone had already left due to these imbalances.

The population problem you mentioned again is crucial - as it stands I can't see what would destroy the pvp pop if the changes I mentioned are implemented. Remove the stupid /level 40. Wipe the slate for everything. Then it's fair game to all. Yes there will be locks and BD's galore - but hey that makes PvP fun and a real challenge!

If you can think of anything currently that would serve as a massive problem it would help to mention it here. As for what many would consider 'whines' about the harsh nature of PvP, as I said it's not for everybody, but it could easily be if you bring a small group of friends! Or even roll a stealther! (oh dear).

megadave

I am a FH squatter
When camlann first came a long it was reasonably fun for a while, loads of people to play with and loads to fight, everyone was about the same level. Then pretty soon you got higher levels ganking the fuck out of everyone and proper groups and shit. I stuck at it for a while, I wanted to xp as little as possible and level up by RvR, but it was just a massive add fest wherever you went. Then i tried to XP, got ganked loads, tried to xp in the far arsecrack of albion somewhere and people would still find me.

Eventually I got to be a green con to 50 and at that point it was just the shittest gaming experience I've had, I got to lvl43 but just couldn't be fucked anymore.

A few months later some of my guild from Prydwen decided to roll there so I joined, we recruited a few people and ended up taking all 6 relics, this time around I got to level in the comfort of a guild (and using exploit spots which seemed the norm) so I got to try high end guild rvr/pvp. It was still shit compared to daoc :mad:

was quite funny watching the whole server QQ that within 2 weeks we'd taken and held all the relics though

oh and also the average age/IQ/maturity level on the pvp servers seemed to be undeniable lower than anywhere else i've played on the internet, it was incredibly pathetic

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
A fair point Dave.

As I said before - a crucial part of any PvP server is forging your own friendships and making your own way essentially! As you mentioned in the second part of your post once your guild rolled you were able to capture all 6 relics! No mean feat!

What people don't seem to understand was that PvP was MEANT to be hard. You had to WORK for everything. If you plan to solo, pick a self-sufficient class, there are heaps! - Any stealther has an immediate advantage, most casters are fine (pet classes especially). Many players complained of being killed in remote locations also - there are 3 realms to chose from, including dungeons, the entirety of TOA & SI. Yes the risk of being PKed while PvEing exists - but the remote locations will GENERALLY only find you faced with someone within your level range, which is part of the fun if you ask me. Again you had to question the 'remote' locations as well, with many including well known dungeons and xp spots. I don't mean to criticise by any means however! I'm just responding with my own opinion.

As for the addfest I thought it was hillarious and a lot of great fun! And an easy way for
less experienced/equipped players to steal some rps!

As for levelling up through PvP again this is a pipedream. It's viable up until around level 30ish, but then the level of xp you require is much too great - your better off just grinding your way to 50 where at least you have an even playing field. Hell, stop for pvp as often as you like between 36-50, but you have to understand once you hit 36 you ARE green con to 50. So beware.

All it takes is ONE friend. A duo is much more sufficient than soloing. But as i've said before, Soloing is more than possible and many did a lot better solo - it just takes dedication and self-sufficiency, something not found a lot on the core servers. Again im criticising this by no means, it's just they are REALM vs REALM so a REALM community exists. Which brings me back to my main point. You don't have a REALM community to help you out, you build your own! With whoever you like! :)

Thanks for your points though they are valid and will help the discussion.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Tbh i was convinced it was radar, I tried all over the place to xp, lynn barfogg or places people normally never went and some minstrel would turn up. It was before the first batch of radar bans so it's plausible.

Even when the guild came it wasn't as fun as a normal server for me, maybe it's just I prefer the 3 realm rvr dynamic that no other game has replicated, maybe it was all the adders, gankers and wankers. The whole attitude of the server wasn't for me, and from what I can tell the majority of the daoc players. I definitely understand why they made it so you couldnt understand other realms on normal servers ;)

Also our guild leader became some power crazed retard and eventually got outcast from the real guild.

A lot of it was still fun, firing Dirty Tricks (played a merc) and beating down purple assassins that constantly ganked me was pretty great, or stumbling on some lvl50 bot as a lowbie, or making a group of 8 /level 20 theurgists and taking down level50 BDs :)

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Aye I can understand the frustration caused by the use of radar back in the day! The reason im suggesting it now as I said, I think by now pretty much everything bad that could possibly happen has happened...(grand scheme of things) They have completely changed the entire core of rvr, introduced countless new classes, nerfed them countless times, fixed pretty much every major bug.

I think (hope) it's gotten to the point where the only problems are minor ones, or problems that won't be changed at this point (NF back towards OF etc) such as zerging and poor community/playerbase.

Made me lol about the guild leader though haha! PvP did crazy things to us all!
Oh I miss it so :(

megadave

I am a FH squatter
they won't do anything about pvp though, they won't risk reducing the population of the remaining server

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
I mentioned in my proposal the responses to this - it would be of 0 cost/risk to them. As you said, you still preferred RvR in the long -run over PvP. So all those who favour RvR will return to Ywain after the Mordred honeymoon period of a month or two. Not only this but it will bring hundreds of players out of retirement if done correctly and take population from the Freeshards (which I disagree with).

There is no worst case scenario - apart from do as they are doing currently, which is ignoring everything relevant and still playing around with nerfs.

End of initiative - you have an expanded playerbase of Players who miss PvP, who now have the option to play Ywain as well - increasing Ywain's playerbase. Ywain players also have an alternative to the ONE server remaining when they are frustrated/sick to death of the current RvR - this could help stop the stupid realm jumping as well, instead of crossing over and riding the zerg perhaps they will think "fk it, I fancy some pvp to vent my anger". It will also change the dynamic, bring about an influx of new guilds and a renewl of new friendships.

Or, do nothing, let the population slowly fester and decay, losing players little by little to new MMO's/Frustration/Eventual Giving up.

Very worst case scenario the population on Ywain drops for a month or so - and shock horror - there may be a chance for 8v8 rather than zerg v zerg and reptitive camping/farming.

My 2 cents anyway.

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
Wouldn't mind trying some PvP again myself...

But dead is dead

Everz

FH is my second home
Allow one charcopy to Mordred.. this would bring the population back.

Leveling up through pvp was <3.. Around the early 40s period on my NS I'd hang around DL/CS trying to gank any 50 caster that came along, made many an rp doing that. But the worth once every 24 hours was such a killer.

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Wouldn't mind trying some PvP again myself...

But dead is dead

Mordrd is only 'dead' when there remains no loyal daoc players and when nobody would consider playing Mordred in any eventuality. Mordred is still a long way from that:)

Ye of little faith:)

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Allow one charcopy to Mordred.. this would bring the population back.

Leveling up through pvp was <3.. Around the early 40s period on my NS I'd hang around DL/CS trying to gank any 50 caster that came along, made many an rp doing that. But the worth once every 24 hours was such a killer.

I loved the pvp levelling also.

Charcopy etc = a bad idea imo. Goes against what I am proposing completely. It should be a completely fresh start - level the playing field now the game has essentally reached a point of no return in all its major aspects. And yes remove stuff like the 24hour rule, back to factory pvp settings!

Punishment

Resident Freddy
I have a 50 pally and vamp there but tbh pvp servers killed themselves toa/cata(classes) didnt help much.

He's dead jim etc

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
I have a 50 pally and vamp there but tbh pvp servers killed themselves toa/cata(classes) didnt help much.

He's dead jim etc

Well, that's why im proposing a revival, if only even for a little while, im sure a decent population can be maintained. We all have to live and deal with toa/cata today, just seems the stupid money bug absolutely obliterated the server and nothing was done ;o. :england:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
If it was good then it wouldn't have died coughing and spluttering years ago.

Everz

FH is my second home
Mythic's red head child more like. It was neglected the day it was made. Shame.

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Before this turns into a flamewar/people slating PvP, can I just ask only comment if you have constructive criticism or if you Would/Wouldn't play. I don't mean to be rude by this just these things have a tendency to lose sight of the topic very quickly.

CorNokZ

I would not play it. I am set on Ywain where me and my characters will end their days. I do not want to start from scratch, again, just to find that people will be level50 within days and the casual player is left to suck it once again

Everz

FH is my second home
A fresh start on a new ruleset or something different (rebirth of PvP) would bring me back. Ywain is a cesspit with no community.

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Well I guess the fact that theres no responses to this means that NOBODY bar Everz would like to have a working PvP server again, which is baffling. I contacted a mod as well to request support but have received no reply.

CorNokZ

Wow, you guys really dont get it? Daoc is great because if the three factions. The pvp servers didnt have this feature and made the game shit.. And ofxourse those that cheated and griefed, who are now crying..

Lawnmower

Fledgling Freddie
Nobody is crying, as I said before PvP obviously isn't for everybody. But, a lot of people LOVE PvP. Personally RvR today bores the hell out of me. Was fun back in the day with oldskool keep/relic raids and largescale rvr. But now the community sucks and theres nothing there that appeals to me. PvP on the other hand... Just seems a little silly to have the server sitting there dormant when all it would take is a simple wipe of the server to genrate an increased playerbase. And for those of you who don't like PvP? Don't play there simple. If so many people hate pvp and are so-anti pvp then you have no worries of it affecting the Ywain base. It will merely bring back those looking for what they loved the most in DAoC.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Capitalism dictates that DAoC is dying and that PvP and PvE servers are dead.

My experience on the PvP servers was made god awful by those that played there all the time. They can beg all they like - I'm not going back again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom