Sanya, not the brightest of the bunch?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Requiel said:
Not as much fun as when Scotland beat France last week. Ah that was a good day to be in the office....

are you one of us?

It was indeed a good day i found out about it the next day due to being at a music festival, i almsot fell out the car when i put the radio on

Gamah

Banned
Sparx said:
are you one of us?

It was indeed a good day i found out about it the next day due to being at a music festival, i almsot fell out the car when i put the radio on

this made me laugh

sanyama7.gif

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
Sparx said:
are you one of us?

and i thought this thread was getting booring...
Now i can sleep knowing i leart something usefull today.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Wilburn said:
dude.. doubt the "historians" here know the true meaning of that phrase

It's actually not so rarely used as you might think, heck I've even seen media use "Phyrric victory"

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Guys ... erm ... me thinks it's some sort of quote from Animal House.
Actually i'm 99,9% sure about it, it was from John Belushi when they discuss about Neidermeyer.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Gamah said:
Yeah 'cos everyone in the world has seen some shit film.

Yeah 'cos everyone can make silly comments about a film they have never seen. A John Belushi classic and by far the best frat comedy film ever made :worthy: . Still remember his Spiderman style stealthy approach to girls frat house and the impression of zit. All other frat movies are just cheap rip offs.

LOL at the self owning. Take it on the chin and laugh it off, easy mistake if you did not know :)

Rhana

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
What do they teach in schools about Soviet Union vs Finland in WW2 btw?

That the Finland fighted with the germans... untill the germans sort of just evaced finland and left them to fight the russians on there own... and when that sort of looked bad, the finnish (is that spelled that way... looks funkey..) secretservice (what ever it is/was called in finland) tried to buy there way into sweden for them self and there families with the brunt of records, codes ect they had... We, the swedes where the perfect neutral country ...:eek7: ... and kept the best and the brightes of the intel personal, rounded the rest up and sent them back to the russians (and ofcoz, kept all the records and codes)... Sort of the same what we did with some jews that managed to escape to sweden.. them we sent back to the germans...

Well... Sometimes I wish I didnt like history... sometimes you just wants to :puke: ower what your country have done.

By the way, Finland managed to hold the russians off.. not half badly done, I say.

Phantomby

Loyal Freddie
Pempula said:
Nope, Russia did win, but Finland finished a close second ;).
Soviet Russia never managed to occupy Finland though and if you look at its losses it was really what defines a Pyrrhic victory.
In any case: pearls can be cultured in so many places, so why would anyone care about Pearl Harbour? :)

heheh i thought Pyrrhus was the defining aspect of a pyrrhic victory :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

pedantic hat off :)

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Phantomby said:
heheh i thought Pyrrhus was the defining aspect of a pyrrhic victory :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

pedantic hat off :)

Sorry for taking this opportunity to derail this thread further, but... i have to do some shameless plugging here. :p

If you're even a little interested in this ancient history stuff, you guys should try out RTR (Rome: Total Realism, which is a mod for the great game - Rome: Total War) They added in Pyrrhus and his armies in southern Italy as a part of the Greek faction. The mod is just awesome and has kept me playing the game since it came out and i can't recommend warmly enough. :) They're currently working on a final version 7.0 for RTR. I don't know if it's allowed to post a link to their site here, but if you google it, make sure you go to the .net site and not to .org or .com.. those are older, now defunct sites.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Latest Grab Bag ...

http://www.camelotherald.com/more/2776.shtml (Down the bottom)

"The Germans at Pearl Harbor thing (in the grab bag on 10/13) was a joke from a movie called Animal House. Belushi as a frat boy. It was funny. But I gather from my email that this movie was not the universal viewing experience I had thought it was. For the record, I in no way have ever for a moment actually believed that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor in World War Two."

Sanya, has never come across as stupido, so for her to make such an obvious mistake was unlikely. We have to remember not all Americans are dopey.

Gamah

Banned
SkarIronfist said:
Latest Grab Bag ...

http://www.camelotherald.com/more/2776.shtml (Down the bottom)

"The Germans at Pearl Harbor thing (in the grab bag on 10/13) was a joke from a movie called Animal House. Belushi as a frat boy. It was funny. But I gather from my email that this movie was not the universal viewing experience I had thought it was. For the record, I in no way have ever for a moment actually believed that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor in World War Two."

Sanya, has never come across as stupido, so for her to make such an obvious mistake was unlikely. We have to remember not all Americans are dopey.

^^ I was wrong world rejoice!

Kaomond

Fledgling Freddie
Overdriven said:
The school(s) I went to never covered Pearl Harbour; it was mainly World War/Plague. - Didn't stick around long enough to learn about Russians.

Erm, i always thought Pearl Harbor was a pivotal moment in World War Two, it was the attack by the Japanese in an atempt to scare America to stay out of the war that actually had the reverse effect and brought the yanks kicking and screaming into World War 2. So if you were never tought about it then your history classes were severely lacking.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Kaomond said:
Erm, i always thought Pearl Harbor was a pivotal moment in World War Two, it was the attack by the Japanese in an atempt to scare America to stay out of the war that actually had the reverse effect and brought the yanks kicking and screaming into World War 2. So if you were never tought about it then your history classes were severely lacking.

Of course others will say that America was well aware of the strike before it happened but had minimal defences up so that they'd have a way to convince the American people it was time to join the war. Some other people will even draw a connection between that and 9/11.

But you'd have to have a pretty funky history teacher if he'd be telling you that already but I wouldn't be surprised if my grandchildren read that in their history books.

Rothzak

Fledgling Freddie
GimmlyTheDorf said:
Everyday must be a good day to be in the office for you, the amount of work you don't do; it must be a breeze getting payed that sort of money.

maybe you should apply as an english GM? oh wait - you didn't write paid correctly :m00:

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Saggy said:
1941:

December 5th - Germans halt attack on Moscow.
December 6th - The United Kingdom declare war on Finland.
December 7th - Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour.

Underlined part to correct that list :cool: The only war between two democratic countries up to date iirc. UK never participated actively on that war though :p
The war between Russia and Finland... The russian wanted a harbour closer to England, Germany etc, so they invaded Finland, won after MUCH struggle. Got their harbour etc. When the germans attacked Russia, Finland started to take back the piece of land the russians took, ie invaded Russia. Thats why the UK declared war with em, becouse it made the war harder for the russians, ie, the war versus the german became harder. This is what I have been taught, Im not 100% I remember it all tho :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom