Sanya, not the brightest of the bunch?

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:
On the list I posted it just goes..
December 5th - Germans halt attack on Moscow.
December 7th - Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour.
Nothing on the 6th.....
I know, that's why I said "Underlined part to correct that list :cool:".
evzy said:
Have found one or two vague mentions of it though with searching... not really common knowledge or actually happened but learnt something new there :)
I have always considered that knowing which democratic countries have been in war against each others as a common knowledge :p

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Considering it took several google searches to even find a mention of it, the fact it didnt actually happen either...probably means it isnt common knowledge in the same way JAPAN ACTUALLY BOMBING PEARL HARBOUR is...

Its a bit like saying 9/11 is common knowledge and therefore so is the name of the suicide bomber who blew himself up 2 weeks ago on tuesday in Iraq is...

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:
Considering it took several google searches to even find a mention of it, the fact it didnt actually happen either...probably means it isnt common knowledge in the same way JAPAN ACTUALLY BOMBING PEARL HARBOUR is...
I'm not comparing these two things, just wanted to know do they even teach this stuff in schools and got my answer :cool: And my original question wasn't about the war between Finland and UK, it was about war between Finland and Soviet Union and wanted to know what they teach about the start of the war(s).
evzy said:
Its a bit like saying 9/11 is common knowledge and therefore so is the name of the suicide bomber who blew himself up 2 weeks ago on tuesday in Iraq is...
That's overkill tbh :S The war(s) between Soviet Union and Finland played fairly big part in WW2.

Gamah

Banned
Raven said:
not everyone knows everything about everything but people should know about turning points in their countries history. nothing at all wrong with a non american not knowing about pearl harbour.

OT: just noticed "harbour" is yet another word amaricans cant spell :)

Local variations of a langauge doesn't mean they "can't spell" it.

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
not everyone knows everything about everything but people should know about turning points in their countries history. nothing at all wrong with a non american not knowing about pearl harbour.

OT: just noticed "harbour" is yet another word amaricans cant spell :)

OT: some people does not seem to spell Americans right ;)

Gamah

Banned
MadsKaizer said:

_42173688_batterseaps1_220bpa.jpg
cat-owned.jpg

powerowned :<

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
MadsKaizer said:
oh and if you want to get all anal about spelling on a forum i may aswell point out "some people does not" is jibberish, it should be some people do not

":)"

Gamah

Banned
Raven said:
oh and if you want to get all anal about spelling on a forum i may aswell point out "some people does not" is jibberish, it should be some people do not

Such spelling nazi's today.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Overdriven said:
*Shrug* - I never got taught it. (Well, if I did it was 4+ years ago and I've forgotten it)

What's general knowledge to you might not be to me... To me general knowledge is when DOS was brought from The Seattle Computer Company by Bill Gates, what QDOS stands for, how to cook pancakes, who the original composer of 'Adagio For Strings' was..... So what may be general to you, might not be to me. Pearl Harbour isn't general knowledge to me.

So, that comment is purely redundant.

Sure, things from the past were interesting, but I never really got into it; atleast not the whole war part of it. So, I don't consider it general knowledge... It's like saying "When is St. Patricks day"... Who?

:)

EDIT:

Also, my secondary school sucked.

to be brutally honest knowing about the major event that brought america into the second world war IS kinda general knowledge, and if you hadnt been taught about it you should have! :p

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Saggy - in answer to your question - back in my day not a lot was taught about the Russian/Finnish contribution - was more about Hitler and the overall war as opposed to any direct country other than UK / Germany - Pearl Harbour didnt get covered nor the yanks -but its been a fair ole time since I was at school and no doubt things have changed so I cant answer for todays kids..

We also had a choice for coursework - that might have been more in depth possibly be I cant remember what options we were given - I went for 'Nam..

OohhoO

Fledgling Freddie
Simple American Logic:-
Japan is part of that threatening little piece of the universe which ISN'T America & will therefore eventually have to be destroyed.
Germany is part of that threatening little piece of the universe which ISN'T America & will therefore eventually have to be destroyed.
Therefore... Japan = Germany!
Quod erat demonstrandum.
<polishes tinfoil hat>

swords

Can't get enough of FH
She obviously hasn't seen the film adaption... MATT DAMON!!!!!

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:

Im excused, its not my native language :D

Dukat

Resident Freddy
OohhoO said:
Simple American Logic:-
Japan is part of that threatening little piece of the universe which ISN'T America & will therefore eventually have to be destroyed.
Germany is part of that threatening little piece of the universe which ISN'T America & will therefore eventually have to be destroyed.
Therefore... Japan = Germany!
Quod erat demonstrandum.
<polishes tinfoil hat>

lol :D I laughed at this :D

This thread reminds me of the overused forum piktar:

mental_worldmap.gif

:D

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
evzy said:
Please tell me you know it was actually the Russians who bombed Pearl Harbour... otherwise shame on our education system...

lol please tell me your taking the piss

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Because we all know it was really the FBI that bombed Pearl Harbour so the Americans could go and invade someone or something conspiracy'esque....

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
What do they teach in schools about Soviet Union vs Finland in WW2 btw?

All we learned in Ireland about USSR -v- Finland was that Finland defeated the USSR despite odds being against them.

Im not even sure if this is right, but afterall this is Ireland and we weren't even in the war!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
evzy said:
was more about Hitler and the overall war as opposed to any direct country other than UK / Germany - Pearl Harbour didnt get covered nor the yanks -but its been a fair ole time since I was at school and no doubt things have changed so I cant answer for todays kids..

-_- Pretty much what I was trying to say! :p Hense me having 'no general knowledge' :p

Dukat said:
lol :D I laughed at this

This thread reminds me of the overused forum piktar:

mental_worldmap.gif

Best. Image. Ever.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
Overdriven said:
Sure, things from the past were interesting, but I never really got into it; atleast not the whole war part of it. So, I don't consider it general knowledge... It's like saying "When is St. Patricks day"... Who?

:)
oi ! .. u dont know St.Pats day ! ? pfft .. what an excuse for a piss up :twak: :touch:

Isunder

Fledgling Freddie
Going back to the orignal topic about Sanya - she was joking. Her original quote should be:

Hey, speaking of the crafting changes, BG told me something I really want the crafters to see. We’ve been getting the same posts every patch, but guys? The crafting revamp isn’t over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Sorry, sorry, my frat house days getting through the filter again.

Which is a reference to Animal House:
http://www.whysanity.net/monos/ahouse.html

edit: Just thought I'd add - apparently she's brighter than Gamah.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Pearl Harnour.. the mother of all AC raids. And again, if it´s something bad, blame the germans. :)

One can argue whether or not is´t common knowledge. Personally, I think it is, but then, my 27 year old colleague at work who was unable to name the four Beatles made me think again about todays standards of common knowledge.
But in my opinion, the point is, that if you don´t know something for sure, you should avoid using it in a metaphor.

Pempula

Fledgling Freddie
Melachi said:
All we learned in Ireland about USSR -v- Finland was that Finland defeated the USSR despite odds being against them.

Im not even sure if this is right, but afterall this is Ireland and we weren't even in the war!

Nope, Russia did win, but Finland finished a close second ;).
Soviet Russia never managed to occupy Finland though and if you look at its losses it was really what defines a Pyrrhic victory.
In any case: pearls can be cultured in so many places, so why would anyone care about Pearl Harbour? :)

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Isunder said:
Going back to the orignal topic about Sanya - she was joking. Her original quote should be:

Hey, speaking of the crafting changes, BG told me something I really want the crafters to see. We’ve been getting the same posts every patch, but guys? The crafting revamp isn’t over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Sorry, sorry, my frat house days getting through the filter again.

Which is a reference to Animal House:
http://www.whysanity.net/monos/ahouse.html

edit: Just thought I'd add - apparently she's brighter than Gamah.

So, if anything, Gamah did a selfpowerowned? >_<

Or it was just an attempt at a funneh?

/Dracus

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom