Samsung E710

Clown

Part of the furniture
I'm thinking of getting this phone on Vodaphone, Anytime 100, with some free texts and stuff every month (£15/month). Anyone know how good Vodaphone coverage is in London?

Anyway, I wanted to find out about this phone. Anyone know if it's any good?

Cheers!

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Clown

I've used an Orange and a T-Mobile phone in London and both were generally fine for the most part, although it naturally varies from place to place. Anyway, I doubt Vodafone will be any exception.

Having just had a quick check, the E700 (which I *think* is very similar to the E710, just a regional version for Europe) seems to stack up as follows:

• Weight: 85g
  • Standby: up to 230hrs; Talktime:up to 180mins
  • GPRS
  • Infra red link
  • Integrated VGA digital camera mounted on the front cover (640x480, 5x zoom)
  • High resolution 65,536 colour TFT LCD inner display
  • Outer OELD displays picture (removing need for a mirror) 256 colours (128 x 160 pixels)
  • GPRS class 10 and WAP browser
  • MMS; EMS; SMS
  • Java Enabled
  • 2000 Name Phonebook
  • Store up to 1000 photos in phone
  • 40 polyphonic ring tones
  • Alarm clock, calculator, calendar, currency converter, memo, photo editor, screensaver, wallpaper
  • Dual-band GSM 900 / 1800

About the only obvious things it's 'missing' are Bluetooth and tri-band support, but neither are really must have features at the moment (not generally, anyway). Having just checked MobileRepublic and Google the feedback on the phone seems positive. Be sure to shop around, though :)

Kind Regards

Clown

Part of the furniture
£300 quid, for the year, assuming I don't use phone outside of the free time. It's selling for about that much on eBay and £320 on some other shop.

I was reading that some magazines gave it awards for best camera. It has a flash and everything! Video capturing too :)

I'm also tempted to get my mum's phone (Nokia 6820). Too many choices!

Does sending pictures and stuff over Infra-red only work to 'same' phones, or can I send/recieve stuff, say, between Ericsson and Samsung?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Clown

According to one site, only the US-model (E715) has a flash, so be sure to double check before you buy. Also, don't expect the picture quality to be as good as a digital camera at higher resolutions, although for MMS and the like it should be fine.

As for the IrDA, you *should* be able to send between compatible devices and betwen your phone and, say, your PC. However, it's been my experience that that isn't always the case. That said, I may have just been unlucky, so I'd stick to guessing it would work between different manufacturers' phones unless told otherwise (providing both phones are relatively modern).

Kind Regards

Edit ~ The 6820 is arguably the more sophisticated of the two phones, with EDGE, tri-band, Bluetooth and XHTML support, although it lacks a couple of things the Samsung has. That said, the 6820 would probably cost more than the Samsung, so it balances out

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The e710 from memory isnt the same as an e700. Its not got the colour OLED front screen, basically its not as good. I would double check the differences between the e700 and e710 before buying.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Ch3tan said:
The e710 from memory isnt the same as an e700. Its not got the colour OLED front screen, basically its not as good. I would double check the differences between the e700 and e710 before buying.
Thanks Ch3tan. As I said, I wasn't sure of the differences when seaching, and samsung only list the E700 on their site. Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Clown, before you buy it make sure you go and play with it, samsungs have notorisouly bad battery life and are generally not very nice phones IMO. Also the menu system on this particular model is very ugly to look at and will annoy you lots! However, the camera on it is pretty cool with its multishot mode...PM me if you want to know anything more mate

Tilda

You might want to have a look at the Motorola v500, Ive ordered mine, and it looks awesome :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Its a very customisable phone is the e700, and my sister and my mate love theirs. I hate it though. ugly menu's, lack of features. The camera is the only plus point.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Mhhmm... Samsung e710 or Motorola v600?

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
v600 is a nice looking phone, dont know too much about this one, its similar to the v300 which is a nice phone, sensible menus, screen is ok but not fantastic but silly keypad which the 600 doesnt have.. personally I am waiting for the nokia 6230, its ugly as hell but will have a nice screen and a really good camera, along with all the gadgets and gizmos you could want

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sony Erricson z600 if you want a really nice looking camera phone with a shedload of extras.

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
The Z600 camera isn't a patch on the E700 mind.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I read that the Motorola v600 camera is just as good as the Samsung's E700. As long as the pictures look anything as good as the SE T610 ones, which some people say are shite.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
E700 pics are nice quality ill give it that, the z600 is also a nice phone but aint that great looking cos the hinge is all messed up and it feels a bit plasticy from the snap on covers, but all it is is a t610 in a different case

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
The Z600 pics are the same as the T610 pics, which = shite :/

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Ch3tan said:
Sony Erricson z600 if you want a really nice looking camera phone with a shedload of extras.

Agreed, menu is so intuative, camera is shite though. The Style up covers should be available soon, they are launched in the US @ $29 per pack.

Clown

Part of the furniture
OK, OK. I want the V600 but I can only find it on the o2.co.uk web site*... But I want the Vodaphone tariff with the 900 off peak calls :(

Can you help me find it anywhere else on a decent off-peak/evening and weekend tariff? Thanks fellas!

*oh, and these obscure 'dial-a-phone-type-advert-things' on Orange.

Wile E. Coyote

Fledgling Freddie
I've had e700 for about a week now and so far I love it... I have no idea what Ch3tan means by ugly menus because I've found it intuitive and easy to get into. There are a lot of smart buttons and hotkeys that will bring you straigth to functions you'll use a lot. The external screen is nice for telling time and date, showing you battery status and if you have recived an SMS, signal strength, and so on without having to flop it open. And I love the design. Overall a great phone. I have no need for triband or bluetooth and IRDA USB adapter for my PC only cost me about 250 NOK (little less than £20). And I don't know what features Ch3tan feels are missing, because in my opinion it has all the features it needs. (Depends on what features you want I guess). After all its not a brick of a PDA with mobilephone built in like the p900... :p

Another reason why I bought it is that in the electronic store I work we get a lot of sony-ericssons and nokias back for repair because of malfunctions (although this is covered by your warranty its still very annoying!) and so on. This is not the case with samsung phones.

Pleasantly suprised pretty much sums up my experience with it.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Old thread but wondered what people who have had the phone awhile have thought of it. It's supposedly very popular and according to Vodafone there's a stock shortage of them in the UK, which means they're flying out the shops. I can get the handset for free as well, so it's no problem really. I've played with my mate's phone which is the E700 and loved it, hence the decision to change :)

Anyway, yeah, feedback from extensive use would be nice :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
http://www.mobile-review.com/forum2/

I used that forum when deciding what phone to get. If you can ignore all the 'blind follower' people, then there are some alright points of views there.

There were a few reasons why I chose the v600 over the e710:
mp3 ringtones
bluetooth
blue circle of light thing on the front ;)

As far as I've heard, the e710 has really bad battery life, but the camera is one of the best out there, which was only really the selling feature of the phone for me. You can't put peoples pictures in their profiles either. Maybe loads of things have changed since I last looked.

Not extensive use feedback, but maybe it was better than nothing.

YO YO YO BOMBDIGGITY.
(not quite the same ring to it as "Kind Regards")

mank!

Part of the furniture
I got the E710 yesterday, didn't pay a penny. The phone's quite nice but the ringtones suck, I'd give an arm and a leg for my phone just to bloody ring. The menu's are a bit weird but I quite like them, the camera is great and it's bloody tiny. Not used it enough to really comment yet but I like it so far :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Soz but the e700 menus are so wank, half a screen taken up by a crappy pic thats useless just so you have to keep scrolling down for the rest of the options? Not good.

mank!

Part of the furniture
MYstIC G said:
Soz but the e700 menus are so wank, half a screen taken up by a crappy pic thats useless just so you have to keep scrolling down for the rest of the options? Not good.

It was exactly the same with my Nokia phones

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
http://www.mobile-review.com/forum2/

I used that forum when deciding what phone to get. If you can ignore all the 'blind follower' people, then there are some alright points of views there.

There were a few reasons why I chose the v600 over the e710:
mp3 ringtones
bluetooth
blue circle of light thing on the front ;)

As far as I've heard, the e710 has really bad battery life, but the camera is one of the best out there, which was only really the selling feature of the phone for me. You can't put peoples pictures in their profiles either. Maybe loads of things have changed since I last looked.

Not extensive use feedback, but maybe it was better than nothing.

YO YO YO BOMBDIGGITY.
(not quite the same ring to it as "Kind Regards")

Is it easy to load the mp3's as ringtones ??

I realy want the v600 , looks bleeding nifty

Clown

Part of the furniture
Yeh, I use bluetooth and just drag it across. I suppose it's the same with a data cable but I dunno :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom